Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

General Advice on Editing Software For Paintball Videos!

crumbla146

Sep 17, 2012
farnham
Help!

My PC is crap! and so is my knowledge on video editing software. I use a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition and seek advice on two issues in this thread.

1.The first is the correct the 'fish eye' effect that the camera seems to have

2.Secondly is too address the quality of the file that is exported and uploaded to YouTube which inevitably looses that shine and finesse that is viewable on my PC at home with the original file.

Currently running 'Adobe Premier Pro CS6' but I am open to any other free solutions, or general words of advice in the field! Hopefully this thread may also help some other amateur to get 10-15 views on his YouTube channel. Cheers.

(Sorry if this is a repost, I searched but couldn't fin a thread like it!!!)

Aartwood

Jul 10, 2013
Howdy pal, first post on here so hopefully I can help with your questions :)

The "Fish Eye" effect is due to the gopro's shapped lens, you can get flat lenes, but when then you wont get the flat look your after, you can reverse the process using after effects, but takes way too much time and effort, so i'd leave it as it is to be honest.

Second, what fps are you filming in? youtube can only show 30 fps on it's site, and it also compresses your file when you upload it which also reduces the quality a tiny bit. If you want real good quality vids much like the originals on your computer, upload them to vimeo instead, as they don't have fps limits. Though you will get far fewer views that way. Chuck me your youtube channel link and i'll sub you pal :)

Mine is www.youtube.com/aartwood

crumbla146

Sep 17, 2012
farnham
Howdy pal, first post on here so hopefully I can help with your questions :)

The "Fish Eye" effect is due to the gopro's shapped lens, you can get flat lenes, but when then you wont get the flat look your after, you can reverse the process using after effects, but takes way too much time and effort, so i'd leave it as it is to be honest.

Second, what fps are you filming in? youtube can only show 30 fps on it's site, and it also compresses your file when you upload it which also reduces the quality a tiny bit. If you want real good quality vids much like the originals on your computer, upload them to vimeo instead, as they don't have fps limits. Though you will get far fewer views that way. Chuck me your youtube channel link and i'll sub you pal :)

Mine is www.youtube.com/aartwood
Thanks for the advice m8! ha i subscribed to you a while ago!! here is my channel,
I've got the head-strap now which i intend to use at some point! unfortunately the latch on my case broke and im waiting on gopro to send me a replacement! (free and their customer service is defiantly recommended btw!) I film at 60fps at 1080p. I have not attempted to edit the videos in any other way than obviously sequencing them into one file for uploading, but I will defiantly set up a vimeo account now you have mentioned it!

Aartwood

Jul 10, 2013
coolio pal, glad my advice has had a positive response :) i'd also advice cutting your vids down a tad, as the average person will never watch 30 or so minutes of barrel cam footage in one sitting ;)

Reactions: crumbla146

gambo47

Jun 20, 2007
scotland
www.youtube.com
A good HD cam for use on a mount is the LIC EGO you can change the angle of recording to 90 degrees from 130 I think. Most sports cams are not great for paintball as they are wide angle for panoramic views. This means everything is too far off and too small and trees etc. appear curved. Go for narrow angled lens cameras which are better for paintball.
Software ... loads of free stuff that work well but I migrated back to magix movie edit pro due its stability over many others that have been tried and tested. Aartwood is correct regarding frame rates and compression too and Vimeo have upload limits and also less viewers..

best of luck

emisnug

"I am Become Death, squeegier of Worlds"
Oct 10, 2011
Middle of bloody Nowhere
Prem Pro CS6 is a good option for editing videos. As far as correcting the fish-eye effect, that's something that Go-Pros have. You can digitally "correct" in in After Effects (hit the "export to after effects" button when you right click on a clip in the timeline.), but it does take a lot of time.

As far as shine and finesse goes, make sure you're exporting at 100% quailty, with an H264 compression codec. YouTube likes that.

Here's the last thing I did in Prem Pro:

crumbla146

Sep 17, 2012
farnham
This clip is full HD but its 30 mins long took 18 hrs to upload but still look rough in full screen on you tube..
see what you mean m8, yea cheers lads i have set up a vimeo account and have had to upload a few videos individually due to the restrictions, but its great other than that! hopefully getting a new pc soon so should be a bit faster for editing and exporting! THANKS

UKpaintballin

Sep 3, 2012
If u go on to the go pro website then u can download their software it doesn't let u create videos but it can enhance the footage you have already taken not sure if I only works with go pro footage only but don't see why not