Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Getting HPA refills from a dive school or airgun shop

MamaChrissy

Mar 25, 2011
Old Trafford, Manchester
So I'm thinking of making the switch from CO2 to HPA for my collection of markers... I'm not a regular player (or even a casual one) so I don't intend to spend a huge amount of money on a system I might not use for a year or more between games.
I don't know how long I can keep air in a bottle for without it losing pressure and slowly leaking out (no seal lasts forever!) so I expect to have to get an air fill for any marker testing and before travelling to a game, and I understand a dive school or airgun shop would be able to do this.

Question: How does one approach these places, for a fill? Are they hard to obtain? Do some places get 'difficult' about doing them? And what should I expect to pay?

I'm in central Manchester BTW and if anyone has recommendations for friendly re-fillers in this area, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Pre game testing is not essential, unless you are fiddling around or stripping & rebuilding you can normally manage with the air leftover after a days play.

But having said that, you can do perfectly well with a 3000psi standard cylinder for about £40

Regarding fills elsewhere these will probably cost you a fixed fee per fill, whether its from empty or a top up. You will need to ask at any local venue, but may also need to supply your own fill system. This requires you to know what they require. (Basically a scuba adaptor fill rig but with the right connection)

Last edited:

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
PS I have not gone for fills at scuba shops, but have had dealings with one regarding arranging hydro tests. It may be a matter of speaking to the right person / getting them in the right mood

I first dealt with them when I discovered the shop existed by chance (was at the garage next door and saw the scuba sign) so asked about hydro tests, got a good quote, returned to drop off the cylinder, and when I went back to collect he told me how many times he could have sold my cylinder wih everyone spotting the pretty mini cylinder

I later dealt with them as we had a few 3000psi cylinders that had or were due to expire, so remembering the good price phoned for test prices. I can't remember what was said but it was beyond the replacement cost. I either got some other guy, got him in a bad anti paintball mood, or he just didn't want the business.

MamaChrissy

Mar 25, 2011
Old Trafford, Manchester
Pre game testing is not essential, unless you are fiddling around or stripping & rebuilding you can normally manage with the air leftover after a days play.
Oh, I'm an inveterate tinkerer, nothing in my possession stays in one piece for long ...;)

After a Google search I have the names of a few places that I can go and ask for a fill, that aren't a long way out of my way... I can find out what fill rig I'll need as well.
It seems to me though, that with the cost of a bottle test being almost the same as a cheap HPA bottle and regulator, it'd be more viable to buy new every five years. Hmm...

Thanks for your help! :)

Last edited:

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Regarding replacement and retest, if you have to post cylinders either way it suddenly costs more to test then to buy new with standard 3000psi cylinders at £40
Money for lifetime the 3000psi beats 4500psi all the way

But there are other benefits to 4500psi cylinders:
Light weight due to fibrwrap, more size options to fit you physically (eg the right size for you to act as a stock), plus if you go for large sizes they may have more capacity even at 3000psi.
When 4500psi fills are available they win on capacity. But if you get the opportunity to fill before your cylinder pressure gets low then the extra does nothing for you other than saving on queue time
With a steel / aluminium cylinder you don't have to worry so much about scratches

As you are going from co2 to air then you will notice improvements straight away, on the basics of it a 3000psi gives great value for money, but don't let that put you off a fibre cylinder in the future. (Also upgrade within 5 years and the 3000 is a spare)

Reactions: MamaChrissy

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
Just use paintball sites that offer free air filling on the day...end of problem

If you want to tinker at home get a dive bottle and fill rig