Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Ion or Rail?

Jontain

Nov 15, 2006
Cambs
Now that the proto rail has been released what do you guys think would be the best bet if/when i upgrade to an electronic marker. They are both the cheap and decent markers but i dont know enough between the two to make a judgement.

The rail is more expenive but is said to be highly customisable, which is something that i would really want. But then again the ion also has alot of parts to make it look different and preform well.

What do you guys think, obviously if i was to buy the ion i could spend the extra cost of the rail on extras etc for the ion . So whats bests a upped ion or a rail?

Thanks Jonny

Pureball

NSPL Ref
Oct 10, 2004
Devon, UK
Visit site
Ion is widely used. Theres always someone at an event that knows how to fix one when it..uhhh i mean..IF it goes wrong.

The Rail is brand new. Therefore problems are more likely to pop up either straight out of the box or after a short period of use.

Personally, the Rail is the most appealing. Its new. Looks better than the Ion. Made by a better company in terms of customer support and servicing etc. And the Rail SEEMS faster.

At the end of the day though, get your hands on both at an event. Theres always someone willing to let you have a go on their gat. Whichever one feels right for YOU, get it. Dont get it to be cool or common. Hell you could shoot an Angel IR3 nowadays. People may think you're a bit behind the times, but hey, if it works for you, then keep using it!

tim_c

Oct 12, 2006
Well, I don't know much about the Rail, but I can tell you about my Ion...

When it's running well, it's sweet. The only problems I've had have been of my own making - using old/large/cold paint that breaks in the barrel because my bore size is too small for it at that temparature. With good paint/barrel match it'll shoot all day long without a hitch.

With my zero technical skills, I can strip it down and rebuild it.

It's pretty damn light, and very easily customisable.

It shoots faster than my fingers can move!

Pureball

NSPL Ref
Oct 10, 2004
Devon, UK
Visit site
Stick with the Ion then.

Id still say try out a Rail. But all in all, if the Ion is working well for you, keep it. Just make sure you look after it after EVERY time you play or use it, and it will keep rolling. Fiddle however, and you end up with a leaking gat.

Ion

For the extra cost of the rail you could buy an Ion(brand new) a 3000psi 0.8L system(brand new) and a VL revvy(brand new) for the price of a rail. The rail looks sweet but also has more plastic than the ion so don't worry about getting an ion if you think people will did you for it. If you want an ion but want it just that much better, for a shade over the rail's price(£250) you could get an Epiphany(£280) which is basically an upped ion.
Nathan:)

Jontain

Nov 15, 2006
Cambs
Thanks for all the info guys, im not in the market yet but il be saving up round next year, its weird when i first looked into paintball i didnt like the looks of any of the torny markers and loved the look of the malitary style tippmanns, oh how things change