Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Is it just me?????

KEN@AFGM

Snake player of choice!
Aug 6, 2001
Brighton
Visit site
Ok now anyone who knows me knows i play cus i love to. I aint crap but i aint never going to get an invite to the Ironmen:D .

Now i've never even seen an X ball tourney which i'm sure applies to most people on here. So far all X ball has done for me is to ban the top pro U.S teams from playing the millennium events. (and piss off top euro teams) Its a stone cold fact that historically Europe holds the best tournaments. Now i know i'll get a few people tell me that X ball is the future and if we don't join now we'll fall miles behind etc etc but at the moment i look back on a year of great millennium tournies for people like me and see the big changes in the States unintentionally killing all that off.

Am i the only average baller out there whose pissed off that all this X ball chat is putting a downer on a year which should see the Millennium at its peak?

Sensible answers.... No ranting, no raving no swearing at me or calling my mum a ho etc etc

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
No, it's not just you, Milhouse. As an American living in Europe, the success of the Millennium series has been a wonderful way for me to see my American mates "over here". I am very saddened by the developments that are likely to keep many of the Yank teams away.

But, I have recently become convinced that X-ball is going to bring in some real serious bling bling from the outside world. I really hope something can be sorted out quickly to "save" Millennium and keep it attractive for all the best teams in the world. I, too, was looking forward to the best season ever and to getting really involved.

Steve

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Let's not hang our heads in defeat yet.
Who knows what the future holds? Sure, there are a number of smart cookies with a lot of business savvy getting involved with the big X, but at the same time there are a good number of big movers saying "sod that". PMI looks to be pulling out, and they ain't exactly a small fish (Well, they make Piranhas, which aren't big fish, but nasty none the less). WDP doesn't even care much for it. Plus there seems to be more and more resentment amongst some of the teams that were sure fire X-ballers. Strange looks like it's pulling out, Red is on the brink of mutiny with his lot going S7. Plus it seems that a lot of players are getting disgruntled because they also want to play S7 and Millennium.
Who knows what the future holds? If X-ball doesn't bring the glory it's supposed to bring pretty soon, my guess is it'll be dead in the water before you can say Oobydoob Scooby Doobie Benoobi.
So it looks like X-ball is a calculated risk, but a risk none the less. Just like Russian roulette. There's a good chance it'll work out fine, but with some bad luck you end up decorating the house with your brains.

acsik

Sep 18, 2001
Hungary
Visit site
....is it me

Or there are others who still doesn't really feel that televising paintball (be it XBall or Supair) is done in a way that untouched ppl can understand it? Upon watching last years Tulose DVD its still chaos even for a player.

Imagine mainstream ppl sitting and watching it......

Lets hope Richmond & Co has something in that departmeent or TV hopes will crash and burn like Fred Schultz on supairball..

Cya

Okay, my opinion may not mean much (it isn't new), but it also may mean a lot because I probably personify the mainstream player more. I also know the regulars on the opposite side will jump all over me to say I am an unenlightened caveman that just needs to see the light of the future.

Anyway . . . We won't watch it and don't care. Especially in stands, but also on TV, and I like paintball.

My girlfriend has a son that is going on six. He can start playing at fields at eight. He looks at the magazines, has been to events, and talks about playing in the future.

The way I look at this is, if I have a choice some weekend in the future to take him to a field and PLAY paintball with him (and share all those bonding things we know and love) or to sit in some bleachers and WATCH paintball, I will share playing with him EVERY SINGLE TIME. This is the problem that many choose to disregard (and I ask players all over).

There is some more, but I have to leave now for a meeting. I guess I'll let people jump on this and then post more later.

D

duffistuta

Fair point but

Everyone I know who plays football also watches football, either live at matches or on the TV...

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by Wolf
The way I look at this is, if I have a choice some weekend in the future to take him to a field and PLAY paintball with him (and share all those bonding things we know and love) or to sit in some bleachers and WATCH paintball, I will share playing with him EVERY SINGLE TIME. This is the problem that many choose to disregard (and I ask players all over).

There is some more, but I have to leave now for a meeting. I guess I'll let people jump on this and then post more later.
Not gonna jump all over ya, Wolf, but I wonder why it's an either or proposition in your mind.
Lots of families or friends get together on autumn Saturdays or Sundays to play football in the park or back yard and then go home or to a sports bar or down to the local college stadium to watch their favorite teams play. Same applies to lots of sports.

And, of course, odd as it may seem there are lots of folks who enjoy watching sporting events on tv or live who don't actually play the game(s) they like to watch.

The real question is, is there enough drama and excitement in an X-Ball match, that with a minimum of pball education, sufficient numbers of people will find it entertaining.

kris

yarbles
Jan 10, 2002
Just SoManc
Originally posted by Wolf

The way I look at this is, if I have a choice some weekend in the future to take him to a field and PLAY paintball with him (and share all those bonding things we know and love) or to sit in some bleachers and WATCH paintball, I will share playing with him EVERY SINGLE TIME.
but isn't this associated with all sports.
I like watching football but i would sooner play football every single time.
I will always prefer to play paintball but having been at campaign 2002 and felt the atmosphere when russian legion where playing. The crowd atmosphere was amazing.
This is why im quite optomistic.
with 5 million ( or whatever the number is ) paintballers in the world the crowds should be big at the x ball events.
I tell you this much, if Strange and AA where playing in the UK in an x ball tournament, i would make every effort to go watch them

I have said it before
X Ball will be the Formula 1 of paintball. Not many people get to do it but you can still enjoy it never the less.
So it should be given a chance, why are people so scared of change?
I think the millenium series will always the best of paintball but theres no harm in benchmarking against the Americans.
Feel free to rip my argument to shreds.
:)

Red_Merkin

IMHO
Jul 9, 2001
Montreal
all is not lost, european paintball will continue to be great paintball, and the millenium series will still be great with our without x-ball this season.

There's a few things to remember. We're still going to have the best tourney series in the world. The Millenium series is carried by novice and amateur teams, who contribute most of the money, and make up the vast majority of players and spectators attending.

Secondly, maybe europe isn't ready for x-ball yet (or x-ball isn't ready for europe; either way...)
The millenium series has taken pride in being the best series in the World, why would we risk our reputation by putting on a half-assed x-ball league? My opinion, is to take our time and see where the americans go with it, continue to develop the idea, and when the teams and the promoters are ready, we play x-ball.

The third thing, and most important to remember, is that there will be a 2004 season, (it's only 14 months away!) and that should be enough time to sort out x-ball for europe.

We'll still see american pro teams over here, maybe not as many, but the pros love to come here, and we love to have them, and we've still got all our home grown european tallent (except the few who jump ship to the states), and the millenium series is still going to rock next year.

Nothing is set in stone, everything can change, remember this could all change very quickly!