Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Just starting pump

ceryni

Claret for lunch? Why not?!
Aug 20, 2009
Ipswich
Im just starting pump play next week. Bought myself a BM pump recently and i was wondering if there is anything i should know, tips/tricks that are different from my tourny and woodsballing play? If so, any advice about pump play to a pump virgin (me) would be appreciated!!!:D

SAMUEL.D.RYAN

one.man.band
Mar 17, 2007
Cambridge/Huntingdon
Snap shooting is your main tool, you need to get your snap as good as it can go, i've found the joy technique the best for this, but you might prefer something else. Whatever it is, you need to be quick and you need to be accurate. As far as accuracy goes, you need to play games with your marker to know where it's going to shoot. The myth that pumps shoot more accurately only exists because the pump players learn where their shots are going to land more than semi players typically, there's very little difference between the markers accuracy wise.
You'll find in pump vs. pump games that you can afford to move much more, this means you can try out different bunkers and still have a "get out" option if the one you move to is useless but in the same situation, it's hard to shoot yourself out of a tight spot quickly and accurately so get to know your field's 30 and 40 bunkers really well.

If you end up playing vs electro players you need to get some patience. With a more observant team it's hard, but most electro players will not be looking at you all the time, they need to reload and look cool ;) so wait for the stream to stop and start snapping.

Mostly everything else from electro playing is applicable to pump play really.

Above all have fun!

Pumpmaster

Dec 14, 2008
Redding Ca. (Nor-Cal)
For a person just starting out in pump, you should first know that there will be a learning curve for playing semi. Just be patient. And as said, in pump you live and die by the snap shot and to get good at it, it take practice and more practice. There are drills you can run at home on helping forum. If possible stand a mirror somewhere in a room or hall where it can be seen from a doorway. Stand behind the doorway and practice snapping out into the mirror. Without paint and air of course. Watch when you come out and see how much it sticking out and work on getting on target with as little as possible.

With pump you will need to be more concerned with paint OD to barrel ID match if you intend to put paint on paint on a target.

And some guys I've coached with a pump have a habit of using one or the other arm to stroke with all the time and it's hard to break them of that. Do not fall into this. If you find yourself always shooting left handed, work on using your right, and get comfortable with both hands. But just remember there is a learning curve. Some people pick right up on it and some take a little while longer.

ceryni

Aug 20, 2009
Ipswich
Thankyou both for your help. i can feel myself biased on my right so ill work more on my left. and as for barrel matching i have 3 unitech fronts at .685 .689 and .693 so i reckon i can manage that. snap shooting is the main thing i work on for tourney anyway so im snapping in a mirror lots at the moment!!! Thanks again guys. im playing this sunday so wish me luck :p

P.S. good god man, what are you doing awake at 5:16 AM?!?!?

Andygoth

Phantoms are still cool
Apr 14, 2008
Stafford
For staying tight behing a bunker sometimes it's better to keep your pump hand and barrel hard up against the bunker and pump by moving the gun backwards and forwards.
It's not so easy with a cocker/sniper as it is with something like a phantom but it helps you stay tight against the bunker without it hampering you trying to work the pump handle.
Works well behing trees and barricades in woodsball to because you can brace yourself against the cover.

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
Thankyou both for your help. i can feel myself biased on my right so ill work more on my left. and as for barrel matching i have 3 unitech fronts at .685 .689 and .693 so i reckon i can manage that. snap shooting is the main thing i work on for tourney anyway so im snapping in a mirror lots at the moment!!! Thanks again guys. im playing this sunday so wish me luck :p

P.S. good god man, what are you doing awake at 5:16 AM?!?!?
I think the clue is in his location - California

The 685 & 689 will be the most useful sizes - 693 will tend to be too big (overbored) on most site paint. I often run a 685 or smaller bore to stop roll-outs on my cocker based pumps. You also mention owning a 'BM' pump. Do you mean Black Magic, Bushmaster or something else?

Pumpmaster

Dec 14, 2008
Redding Ca. (Nor-Cal)
For staying tight behing a bunker sometimes it's better to keep your pump hand and barrel hard up against the bunker and pump by moving the gun backwards and forwards.
It's not so easy with a cocker/sniper as it is with something like a phantom but it helps you stay tight against the bunker without it hampering you trying to work the pump handle.
Works well behing trees and barricades in woodsball to because you can brace yourself against the cover.
For staying tight in the air bunkers we use for our series. I went to a 16inch barrel. I can stay in tight and push the barrel into the bunker and still stay somewhat hiden.

ceryni

Aug 20, 2009
Ipswich
I think the clue is in his location - California

The 685 & 689 will be the most useful sizes - 693 will tend to be too big (overbored) on most site paint. I often run a 685 or smaller bore to stop roll-outs on my cocker based pumps. You also mention owning a 'BM' pump. Do you mean Black Magic, Bushmaster or something else?
Ahah! i didnt notice his location.
i have a black magic cocker pump. i can give you a pic if u want :D
http://s941.photobucket.com/albums/ad252/ceryni1/BM pump/?action=view&current=100_0393.jpg
the barrel in the photo shown is not my unitech of course :D

the barrel shown tends to have my finger slip over the barrel a little sometimes, so i probably wont be using this one. definitely will be using the unitech.;)

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
Ahh.. that looks like Impulse Raider's BM pump that he had up for sale - Looks well sorted :cool:

I hear where you're coming from on barrel length. I had a really short (9") barrel on my original mid 90's sniper II, and often shot the tips of my fingers while pumping. Oh how I laughed (not) - and soon swapped it out for a 12" + barrel.

black_Rat

Jun 9, 2010
West Sussex
I had two pumps the first one I used was a Razorback boar with 14" barrel ifound that a good gun at tournaments, but had to get another pump as the front screw thread kept being ripped out of the barrel. So I bought a Phantom tournament, 10" barrel and found no real differance in accuracy or any other problems. Only thing i used to run them on syphon tanks ona constant air adaptor, as I found the gun ran better that way for me

I still have both guns but sadly cant find many places to use them.