Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

New Pro League

Kieran

Jiggy
Sep 16, 2002
UK
Originally posted by TmBwm740
The current leagues are doing fine? Thirty minutes on FSN every tuesday for six weeks...............I'd really like to think we could a little better than that.
Yes exactly what I was thinking :rolleyes:

Gyroscope

Pastor of Muppets
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
www.4q.cc
The current leagues are doing fine? Thirty minutes on FSN every tuesday for six weeks...............I'd really like to think we could a little better than that.
If you are refering to my sig, please note two things: 1) to whom was this statement attributed? 2) the date.

My signature quotes something Jerry Braun said just before the NPPL broke off and made the league Braun was talking about look backwards and rudimentary. My quoting it is due to the irony of the statement, in the way it was ironic that the ship designers described the Titanic as "unsinkable". It is also intended to serve as a reminder of how ridiculous the things we say today may sound tommorrow or next year. Even if you are a smart little Yoda-looking guy like Jerry Braun.

You are right, though, in saying we can do better than 30 minutes on FSN. I suspect that that is not the end goal of Pure Promotions, nor is one showing on ESPN2 the end goal of the PSP. It is similar to how pipe dreams on an internet forum is not your end goal, and in that case, yes, I think we can do better there as well.

dr.strangelove

PrematurelyPost-Traumatic
Sep 14, 2002
Earth
If everybody just stopped wasting brain cells trying to convince an idiot that he's an idiot, this thread would die and the next time we'll ever have to hear about this new league is when this dude gets arrested with 5 of his friends for setting up bunkers and weilding paintball markers in the middle of an amusement park.

Chicago

Jan 31, 2005
Visit site
You do appreciate the irony in posting to an almost-dead thread about how the thread would die if people stopped posting to it, right?

dr.strangelove

PrematurelyPost-Traumatic
Sep 14, 2002
Earth
Originally posted by Chicago
You do appreciate the irony in posting to an almost-dead thread about how the thread would die if people stopped posting to it, right?
Well, I didn't exactly go searching for it, 5 topics down from the top on the first page of the SYB. Then when I bothered reading the 3 pages I regretably missed, 80% of which were you trying to convince the guy that his idea sucked, that was my first reaction. You act like I bumped this from the 10th page or something :rolleyes:

SteveD

Getting Up Again
Before we start...............

80 minute game clock. Four 20 minute quarters=two 40 minute halves.
20 minute half time.

Offense and defense.

70 yard field end to end. 125 feet wide. (Just think 20 yards longer than an X-Ball field)

Scoring/gameplay:
Two teams of five start at their endzone strectching across the field. One of them is defense and the other is offense. The offense has one person with a special jersey and his job is to carry the flag to the opponent's endzone that stretches across the field. The other four on offense is to help him get there without getting shot. The defense is supposed to hold them off by shooting all the offense before any of them have time to go back onto the field. That's right.........Both offense and defense have ressurection. When a player is shot, he/she runs back to their endzone. Once in the endzone, they wait for one minute, then go back in. This way, no one team should dominate from the start. This can also creat suspensful situations. Once the offense brings the flag to the defense's endzone, the clock stops and they switch offense/defense. They do this until the clock runs out. There is a break between every offensive drive up the field. If the offense shoots all the defensive players before any have a chance to regenerate, at any time, the offense restarts their drive, but they can't score a point by doing that. They have to get the flag into the endzone. And they can only hang the flag if their is at least one defensive player left. This makes it so that the flag hang is actually the exciting part, like a point in other sports. If the defense does what they should and shoots all the offensive players, then they get the flag and start a drive on offense. But, if the offensive flag carrier gets shot, he drops the flag where he is and either the offense can retrieve it and sustain the drive, or the defense can take it, and then they'll be on offense.

I think you must have read the USPL format rulebook.

We used the 'players start anywhere in the end zone' in 2000. Works great.

Our field was 200 by 120; the end zone (start area) was part of the play area once play started.

200 foot distance puts everyone just within range from the start of the game, so its a good distance. 120 wide gives plenty of spread for flanking moves. Its really the 'ideal' size of a competition field.

We used 3 periods of 7 minutes each: you need to take over-all game length into consideration, and 3 7 minute periods give you a total game time of 1 hour.

Offense and defense don't work - and here's why: the defense is too strong. They don't have to 'risk' anything, while the offense has to put everything at risk to score.

Your regeneration time won't work either - waiting one minute will leave a whole lot of players standing in the end-zone doing nothing.

Sorry to be so critical, but most of what you've mentioned has already been done nunmerous times and isn't used because it doesn't work. I could take you to game-design school to show you why, but it essentially comes down to giving too much strength to one team, which leads to players taking their best tactical approach, which leads to sitting still.

(Why would I risk pushing my flag carrier forward until I've eliminated a substantial portion of the defense? If my flag carrier is that important, then I'm faced with trying to mount a 4 offenders versus 5 defenders attack, which is almost always doomed to failure, so I sit. Since the defense doesn't have to do anything, they sit too.)

Regeneration? You could use that in some kind of format that utilizes eliminations for points, but your regen time needs to be shorter (tagging up is all that's required), you need a way to get rid of old hits that doesn't slow things down (never happen) and there you go - no game.

fuzzy juzzy

Registered Abuser
Feb 23, 2005
hertfordshire
i think the end zone idea is cool but you really dn't need a 'special player' to carry the flag, it could juz be one team attacking wit the flag the other defending.

but to be fair it could get so dull with only one team attacking, the team defending could juz sit there and lock down the field.