Newbie here

FakeSnake

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2003
Exeter
Visit site
Hello!
I am new to the sport

I have been given a Spyder pilot ACS which has sat unused in its box. is it any good for a newbie? I need to pick up air, hopper and a few other things, any recomendations?. can I used the marker on sites?

gldnandy1987

They call me Doc
Oct 12, 2010
flintshire
hey welcome, i'm relatively new myself, i dont know about the marker but for air, hopper etc then you got plenty of choice to by from, theres link @ the top of the page on here to some good uk stores, ebay is good and also check out the for sale section on here. using ure own gear on sites is normally ok but u need to let them know in advance to be sure

ShimmerShot

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2008
Midlands
Welcome :)

I haven't any or much experience with Spyders purely because there are other more trusted brands out there that people use (Planet Eclipse), I think the more you play the better the paintball gun you will want, but for now just try out that Spyder to see how far you want to play paintball. There are other markers out there specifically aimed towards Woodsball or Sup'air balll (tournament paintball played on flat fields and evenly spaced bunkers), whatever you choose to take up will be usually decided on the type of paintball you want to take up.

Air tanks are usually either 48ci (0.8L) and 68ci (1.1L), obviously the bigger the tank the more paint you'll be able to fire. They are commonly constructed from steel (you will grow out of one of these very fast if you get one as they weigh a ton, and ain't very 'pimp') and fibre wrapped tanks which require a test every 5Years from its born date or last test date. The tanks in the for sale section here is most likely the cheapest place to buy one. One thing that you should take into consideration is weather the paintball site you will be going to uses Air or CO2, air tanks cannot be used to fill up with CO2 and vice versa. CO2 is more unstable as a mode of propulsion so many people would recommend you get air (still very much down to if the site you want to go to uses air).

I would highly recommend you get yourself a pair of good goggles, don't be cheap on them, as you want to have good vision and a highly comfortable set, look around and ask on here what people wear and why. Everyone is different so its up to you want you want to go with, just keep in mind that you can't buy safety, don't skimp on a tacky one. Again, there are many good sets of goggles on these forums for sale, most sellers are highly reputable, you can check by using their iTrader icons.

A good hopper will take you a long way, something to start you off would be a Halo or Vlocity, again from these forums as there cheap as chips and do the job just great (there just a bit outdated by other 'pimpier' stuff)

Good knee protection and elbow protection would be a personal recommendation of mine, by new, again, I don't skimp on safety as you only get 1 set of knees in your life, personal favs of mine are the planet eclipse paddings as they just provide great value for money in the amount of use you can get out of them for the investment you paid for them.

If you have any further questions feel free to post up (places other people play at, specific types of games, other equipment etc.), no1 bites here and everyone is a friendly face.

Reactions: SamFlyZ

FakeSnake

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2003
Exeter
Visit site
Thanks for the replies!

I popped down to Skirmish Exeter at Stoke Woods today, and spoke to a top bloke.

will be popping down in the next few weeks to have a chat about setting the marker up and air systems etc.

Cant praise him enough for his offer of help. :thumb:

SabreWolf

Jan 25, 2005
Manchester
none
spyders are perfect for new players.
they are reliable, inexpensive, hard wearing and they can run on both co2 and air, spare parts are easy to get too.

Crin

Jul 3, 2009
cullompton devon
Yeah that will do the job for sure. If your around at the weekend you should bring it down to adrenaline at crealy, just the other side of exeter where my team are based. We have a game on sunday at 10 and will be happy to help you out with all the advice you need. You will be able to hire tank and hopper to use with your gun or use a full site set up if you prefer. As its our teans site its pennies to play and we usually have the whole site to play with :). You can have a play with iur setups and gear also to see what suits you before you buy. Sent you a pm with my number earlier so give me a ring for more info/advice

Reactions: FakeSnake

FakeSnake

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2003
Exeter
Visit site
Yeah that will do the job for sure. If your around at the weekend you should bring it down to adrenaline at crealy, just the other side of exeter where my team are based. We have a game on sunday at 10 and will be happy to help you out with all the advice you need. You will be able to hire tank and hopper to use with your gun or use a full site set up if you prefer. As its our teans site its pennies to play and we usually have the whole site to play with :). You can have a play with iur setups and gear also to see what suits you before you buy. Sent you a pm with my number earlier so give me a ring for more info/advice
Crin, I am so sorry i didn't see this earlier. thats a great offer and I would love to pop down then next time you are on the site. I am only by the Airport so very close to Crealy! (God I would love to use Crealy as a site ;) )

Crin

Jul 3, 2009
cullompton devon
Yeah its a great site to call home. We should have one the weekend after next and one 2 weeks after at the end of the month. We generally have at least one a month but usually 2 depending on intrest and other big games. That may be the last one before winter assult at the bunker but will see how it goes. If you send me a txt or give me a call i'll let you know for sure.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Welcome :)

Air tanks are usually either 48ci (0.8L) and 68ci (1.1L), obviously the bigger the tank the more paint you'll be able to fire. They are commonly constructed from steel (you will grow out of one of these very fast if you get one as they weigh a ton, and ain't very 'pimp') and fibre wrapped tanks which require a test every 5Years from its born date or last test date.
Note both fibre and steel cylinders need retesting every 5 years. (Actually both 'steelie' and 'fibre wrapped' are made of aluminium, the 'steelie' being all metal, the 'fibre' being lighter with fibre wrapped reinforcement )
However cost wise it's not viable to retest a 'steelie' if you have to post it.

Steelies that can handle air up to 3000psi cost about £40
Fibre wraps that can handle 4500psi cost about £150

Retests are about £25 if you can arrange handing it over to a test centre, more if you need to post it and get it sent back.

As fibre cylinders have a maximum life of 15 years it has a life cost of at least £200
A steelie plus two tests to cover 15 years would cost about £90, and be able to be retested forever provided it keeps passing
If you never test and keep buying new then 3 steelies over 15 years would cost about £120

A steelie as a starter is not a bad investment.

The benefit of fibre wraps are that they are lighter, and depending on size can hold more air and at a greater pressure (provided the sites you go to offer air at 4500psi)

How much air capacity you need depends on your marker efficiency, how much you fire and how often you can refill.
e.g. for half hour games you should not be exhausting a typical 3000psi cylinder. But if you are trigger happy you could be running out

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Regarding the maker, it is not horribly bad, and not superly bling.

http://www.pbreview.com/products/search/q/?q=spyder+pilot+acs

Play with it, see what type of play you like and whether it is up to the task.
Any marker will do in any environment, however if you are into tournament / sup air style then you may find yourself outgunned. If in the woods you can be outgunned at walkons with other own gunners etc but a few tactics can cover that.

See what other people are using and ask them about their gear, some will let you have a go to try out theirs to see what suits you