Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Nostalgia or Fact?

Was Paintball more fun in the woods of yesteryear?

• It was more fun back in the day

Votes: 61 48.8%
  • It is more fun in the modern game

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • There is no real difference

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • You can't compare and it's nostalgia talking anyway

Votes: 33 26.4%

• Total voters

Swanny16

Jul 11, 2007
Evesham, Worcestershire
Lets not get all sentimental eh old fella?
Been a while since the grandkids got brought round, huh? Don't worry, its not that they don't like you, its just that there are more fun things to do than make tea and listen to crap stories for the thousandth time while pretending they can't really smell the wee....

That was a bit harsh.:eek:
The only time I smell of wee is when I split my bag.....Lol.:)

Ralph

BAD TO THE BONE
As a player both types of paintball are fun to play. However,woodland paintball has a more random element. No sites were the same, indeed no two fields were the same on any site. You had to walk each field and work out which was the best end to get and what you were going to do if you got the 'wrong' end.
Then again of course you had more time to think once the game started with game times longer and the fields bigger. Your right flank was going great but the the left was getting mullered and you wouldn't nessesarilly know about it until it was too late, unless you had a :rolleyes: player :rolleyes: who always kept one eye on your flag and could keep most at bay till the right hand flank came back with the oppos flag.
The shout of "tally Ho" would go out if you had grabbed the flag and were on your way back to base. just to let your team mates know,not to light you up as you went to hang it was reason enough but it also made the remaining oppos take chances they may not have done in order to reverse the situation. Oh happy days....
From a spectators point of view,woodland paintball is dull to watch. In fact very often there was nothing to watch. Taking the game from the woods to the fields and then to arenas (indoors and out) seems like a natural progression from a promoters point of view. There's more for spectators to see. More chances for sponsors to get their wares marketed and then of course TV would beat a path to paintball's door and beg to be involved.:rolleyes:
Todays game is just as boring to watch (imo). Games are over in minites. Vast amounts of paint raindown on each team until x amount of players are eliminated and then there's some movement. Blink and you'll miss it.
Guns fire quicker,loaders feed faster,fields are regulated sizes,uniforms are brighter but marshals are still as slow to react.;)
The game is always about playing it not watching it.
Perhaps the UK should take another look at woodland tourny's and marry the the logistcal advance's made in getting large events to run properly and the random element that the woods offer.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
OK, I have closed this poll and it seems quite decisive by indicating the game of yesteryear was more fun to play.
I must say, i find that quite interesting especially when we factor in our major demographic being toward the younger end of the playing spectrum.

I woulda thought those guys would have voted for either the nostalgia option or today's game being more enjoyable but it seems, on the face of it at least, that the majority either know or suspect it was more fun back in the day.

It could of course be that the majority of people who voted were from the older category with this not being really representative of our membership but I don't think this is the case but for obvious reasons I can't be certain.

Still, I am glad I posed the question because it does give us all a little more insight into how we view ourselves.

In the US, people like Spec Ops paintball are running hugely successful hybrid leagues where they are doing something similar to what Steve Bull is doing in they have woodland leagues.
I don't know whether we will go down this road, but now, it is at least a possibility whereas I would have said it was impossible about 3 years ago.

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
Too many big words.

Used to be good, now it's sh*t, because everyone's a tosser.

Sneaky edit, I was a bit drunk when I posted the above, not everyone is a tosser.

Biscuit

Mar 21, 2006
wakey
Visit site
if you want to go more the nostalgic route with your balling luck at www.genesispaintball.co.uk or www.ionman.co.uk ;)these are the type of events you need to play if you are lucking to play just for fun,but if you are one of the people who eventually want paintball to be recognised as a sport then stick to sup-air.there in lies the problem if you want it to be a sport then you become more dedicated and professional in your approach to it ,the only down side to this is the fun factor slowly disappears:( this is due to the sacrafices that have to be made to reach the top, so it becomes more like a job than a hobby i.e less fun:eek:if you want to go to the above events they are held through out the country north and south and if you want to know what they are like ask gassy or go to www.talkpaintball.co.uk and ask on there:D