Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

NPPL - Has it taken the ball from PSP and run away with it?

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
Ok, i know this is premature as HB hasn't actually happened yet.........

But when the NPPL first split from PSP there were lots of comments about can they really do it, no one in industry would would support it etc etc. Now i have always said i wanted them to succeed and give some real serious competition stateside and show that Millennium standard events can be put on on that side of the pond.

But looking at things unfolding over the last month or I have to say I am really impressed how quickly the NPPL seems to have hit the ground running. By all accounts they have blown PSP away in the "pre-season" :)

You can go to www.nppl.tv and it actually gives you up to date accurate info, they are constantly releasing info on new sponsors, including large out of industry one like Fuji. They are doing cool things like the massage on the beach. The website is updated with team lists pretty regularly and I'll be impressed if they keep to their stated cut off date too. Perhaps the Millennium could learn from thier use of the website to give more info to players.

Now yeah, I know the event hasn't happened and it all might turn to a croc o' doodoo, but got to say I think the momentum is firmly with NPPL at the moment (well, from a independent players POV anyway)

I only wish I was going now :(

headrock6

Bloody Yanks!!
Jun 5, 2002
Strong Island
Visit site
well Beak..

I think we're finally getting to see what pure competition will do for the sport of Paintball...We have events like HB that look to be kick ass..We have PSP supposedly looking for better venues..Quality reffing seems to be on everyones agenda and PSP prizes in the form of $100 certificates from the companies is an awesome idea...If the creation of the S7 makes everything else better around it,it does nothing but benifit US as players..Hmm,who woulda thought:p ..Now i cant speak on behalf of the Millenium,Ill leave that up to you guys across the pond,but things here stateside are really starting to look good and can only get better...God I love this sport...

:EDIT:The signing on of PMI is huge...Finally some really good paint will be available at HB...Not to say the others aren't good but PMI is the shiznit

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
Steve - I'd have to cheat first ;) although that didn't stop you last time :eek: :D :D :)

headrock - agreed on the PMI thing, that's what prompted me to post :). I think they are also the first major sponsor to try and have a foot in both camps as they are listed as PSP sponsors too. I would be very interested to know exactly why they went with NPPL as well. I presume they saw the growing momentum and support for NPPL and didn't want to cut their noses off.

PSP prize package is good idea. Although I'm suprised that for their inaugural '03 event SC is still being considered. If HB blows up then they are going to be left standing.

I wont be in the US until Christmas :( - so I'll see the aftermath but not the battle :)

headrock6

Bloody Yanks!!
Jun 5, 2002
Strong Island
Visit site
Originally posted by Beaker

PSP prize package is good idea. Although I'm suprised that for their inaugural '03 event SC is still being considered. If HB blows up then they are going to be left standing.
Lets just hope redeeming the certificates is easier than actually collecting the prizes..My friends tell me its a nightmare.. I heard some rumblings about some L.A. fairgrounds being considered as the possible site but not sure if its gonna get done...But like I said its making people make better decisions about thier tourneys..For the first time,I think,****ty events just wont be tolerated anymore..Why pay for crap when theres something better just right around the corner for similiar prices..

I wont be in the US until Christmas :( - so I'll see the aftermath but not the battle :)
Well I think I've got the troops rallied for Chi,Ny,and Miami so it should be fun...Who says getting bloody isn't fun;)

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Clearly they are making a good start of it but the deed still has to come off. That said, I agree they've bumped up the intensity and I wonder at this point if the PSP boys haven't been preoccupied with X.
I also wonder if they aren't trying to bite off too big a bite in running NXL, Division X, 10-man, 5-man particularly as they have no way to reliably judge just how the teams will break down. If Division X works at all what happens to the upper echelon 10-man squads and if, as we've been told for years, a huge part of the appeal is to play against the "best" isn't the PSP undercutting the appeal for alot of Nov and Rookie teams to show up?
Still and all, even at this stage we've had a solid demonstration of competition improving the breed.

And Wad, I never would have suspected you for a JB acolyte. Thought that was a movement of inebriated student Brits.

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
As you guys are closer to the pulse of US 'ball, what's the feeling in terms of who's supporting who? and what about the fact that the "play a pro" draw is definitely erroded under PSP and there are fewer major's in Sup7?

Who are the teams you know/play for supporting?

and Baca - paid up member mate ;)

headrock6

Bloody Yanks!!
Jun 5, 2002
Strong Island
Visit site
As you guys are closer to the pulse of US 'ball, what's the feeling in terms of who's supporting who? and what about the fact that the "play a pro" draw is definitely erroded under PSP and there are fewer major's in Sup7?

IMHO I think theres a ton of teams who are gonna take the wait and see approach to the HB event...Most of the teams i've talked to are still playing PSP but pending the results of HB that could change real quickly..From what I can tell,there really is alot of excitement for the S7 but people just wanna make sure its the real deal before jumping into the fray...I haven't played a PSP event since Gettysburg 2 years ago and still wont until massive changes take place..I have a hard enough time paying my bills as it is to just throw my money away for something I dont really like..If HB goes as planned my team will be hitting 2 or 3 of the events..Ill support wherever I feel Im getting my moneys worth and now it seems like I finally have some options to toy with:D

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police

and Baca - paid up member mate ;)
We're playing S7 for now for a couple of reasons--after all the yapping about competition improving the lot of players and general dissatisfaction with the old PSP product it's pretty much a put your money where your mouth is proposition. Truth be told I prefer 10-man to 7-man but I think it's important to help support real choice.
Lot of teams are likely staying PSP 10-man but a number of teams that are able to will play both for a couple of events then decide which way to go.
If both groups deliver first rate events I'm inclined to think that may favor NPPL unless Division X-Ball is a complete failure. In the past 5-man PSP was mostly an afterthought and if the same event is running NXL, Division X and 10-man at the same time and 10-man is mostly Rookie and Nov teams I think it loses a lot of appeal when compared to NPPL's 7-man where it's one event for everybody. Just a thought.

headrock6

Bloody Yanks!!
Jun 5, 2002
Strong Island
Visit site
Originally posted by Baca Loco
. In the past 5-man PSP was mostly an afterthought and if the same event is running NXL, Division X and 10-man at the same time and 10-man is mostly Rookie and Nov teams I think it loses a lot of appeal when compared to NPPL's 7-man where it's one event for everybody. Just a thought.

Then wouldnt it be wise to simply eradicate 5-man and put Division X in its place...5-man for the first 4 events like you said is pretty much an afterthought til Cup so why not just run Div-X on wed-thurs so that all 10 man teams can still compete??The way its being set up now would seem to benefit S7 big time because the Rookie and Nov teams do want to play where the big boys are and with half locked up in NXL they will probably flock to S7 for the other half...2 weeks till showtime...