Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

NPPL or PSP

dr.strangelove

PrematurelyPost-Traumatic
Sep 14, 2002
Earth
I apologize if this has already been posted, but has it been decided who officially has the rights to the NPPL (National Proffesional Paintball League) name? I heard the the PSP and newly formed NPPL inc are both claiming rights to it.

Speaking of which, who is playing in the PSP this season? It seems like all the good teams with the best players have opted to join the NPPL (I can't blame them, this new NPPL is hosting tournaments with quality unsurpassed by any previous US tournaments). It would be better if the PSP just ran the NXL, and left the regular tournaments to the NPPL. That way, no more name dispute, and the regular tournament circuit isn't divided between two leagues.

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
According to various posts, the PSP is going to get the players to elect an independant players body and give that body their rights to the NPPL name.

I think they are just trying to get the moral high ground off the NPPL but then I'm a cynic.

D

duffistuta

All the best teams playing NPPL?

I think a lot of the best NPPL teams - Dynasty, Dogs etc. - are playing PSP events as well, either in the Div.1 X-Ball like Strange, or the standard 10-Man.

dr.strangelove

Sep 14, 2002
Earth
I think that if it went to court, NPPL inc would have rights to the name over PSP, becuase they had the name before they joined into partnership with the PSP didn't they?

Yeah, some of the good teams are playing Xball or 10 man at PSP. But don't you think it'd be better if the PSP just hosted NXL tournaments? It would be better for the body of players because then the league wouldn't be divided, it could unite all the teams under one league for standard tournaments, and then PSP could host the Xball games. If PSP would think more about what was good for the sport instead of what's good for themselves, that would be the ideal decision I think.

>>>But don't you think it'd be better if the PSP just hosted NXL tournaments?

They wouldn't make any money, there wouldn't be any spectators. No promoters are putting on events for the good of their souls, why should PSP?

NXL stand alones are quite possibly the future, but they're the future when there's outside industry $$$, TV and spectators, not before...

dr.strangelove

Sep 14, 2002
Earth
The NPPL is making every attempt to get outside sponsorship, and slowly but surely succeding. If PSP made the same effort with Xball, especially since they'd be selling the "next wave of paintball" and the product that "will get us on TV", showing potential promoters the benefits of Xball, the marketablility, advertising opportunity etc, then getting promotors and vendors to put on these events shouldn't be much trouble at all. But they're more concerned with lining their pockets than promoting paintball. The new NPPL is all about promotion and furthering the sport, and the PSP just doesn't seem concerned with that. If Xball is supposed to be such a ground breaking, made-for-TV sport, then selling it to promoters should be easy. Easier than selling traditional paintball, but the NPPL seems to be doing that fairly well. PSP should just run Xball, try to promote it, get it on TV and be less concerned with making themselves big bucks off the tournaments they run. That's why the NPPL parted company with them, they ran sub-par tournaments for the sake of making more money, but at the same time they're putting out a less positive image of the sport. But two separate leagues, one for Xball and one for traditional paintball seems bette than dividing tradition paintball between two leagues and then throwing Xball in the mix as a side gig.

>>>If PSP made the same effort with Xball, especially since they'd be selling the "next wave of paintball" and the product that "will get us on TV", showing potential promoters the benefits of Xball, the marketablility, advertising opportunity etc, then getting promotors and vendors to put on these events shouldn't be much trouble at all.

Um, maybe I'm being dumb - elighten me here please with some idea of exactly what you mean.

>>>But they're more concerned with lining their pockets than promoting paintball. The new NPPL is all about promotion and furthering the sport, and the PSP just doesn't seem concerned with that.

The NPPL wants - needs - to make money too, don't kid yourself that this is being done out of altruism. And give the 'new' PSP a chance to at least run an event...

shamu

Tonight we dine in hell
Apr 17, 2002
Now-Cal
Unfortunately, both PSP and NPPL Inc (Chuck) have somewhat legitimate claims to the name "NPPL". PSP because they're the guys who started the league way back when, Chuck because he was the last recognized president before the split. Whether this can be resolved without lawyers remains to be see. Personally, I doubt it :rolleyes:

Both PSP and NPPL are working the marketing/outside sponsorship angle now. The new PSP site claims Bud sponsorship, just as the NPPL had at HB.

PSP also claims it will air on TV (OLN), as the World Cup did. That's nice but will this be the same 'paid airtime' that the WC coverage was? PSP paid for the airtime themselves, just like an infomercial. Which explains why they only showed three games and the rest was product placements.;)

Bobvannes

Sandbagger
Oct 6, 2002
USA
Visit site
Didn't we give the PSP a chance to run an event already? Didn't they call it the 2002 Las Vegas PSP?

I remember rocks, ambulances, no staging, no grass, and crummy prizes.

Sounds like the NPPL is ahead of the game. Maybe the PSP will step up to the plate now that the NPPL held an incredible event.

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
Originally posted by TJ Lambini
>>>But don't you think it'd be better if the PSP just hosted NXL tournaments?

They wouldn't make any money, there wouldn't be any spectators. No promoters are putting on events for the good of their souls, why should PSP?

NXL stand alones are quite possibly the future, but they're the future when there's outside industry $$$, TV and spectators, not before...
Except the NPPL 7 man just got all that, and thus far Xball hasn't, and if they don't do some major work which at this point is catching up (let alone trying to be ahead), they won't, and the whole point of it will go down the drain.

Tha clock's ticking...