Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

old/new

Ryan

Jul 7, 2001
Planet X
What the heck happened to the old "Bulletin Board" ? I really liked that better than this. Anybody with me?

Duncster

uber-spect8or!
Jul 7, 2001
Kettering
Visit site
I preferred the old one.....I suppose it's just coz it's what we're used to though....

Perhaps it might be an idea to have an "alternative" forum which removes messgaes after, say, 48 hours. This way you could have important messages posted in this forum, and idle spoddy citchat in the "other" one. This systems works very well on a punk fanzine message forum that i use....

any other thoughts??....

:rolleyes:

Joe Schmoe

Old -v- New

Ok, here it is, why the new forums?

The quick answer we'd out grown our old one.

The long answer

The old board, and many like it, are CGI scripts. In most cases these are fine, however, when you have a have a large volume of traffic they start to create a real strain on your servers processor.
Those of you who used the the old board at peak times will remember that it did go down at lot, posting messages became a bit of a pain.

Bearing in mind that our traffic continues to rise we had to address this sooner rather than later. We quickly came to the conclusion that to handle the traffic volumes we needed a more robust solution, technically either PHP or ASP scripting with a database driven backend. Unfortunately, there are at present no open thread boards, like our old one, which can fit this bill. Therefore, we opted for what is ultimately the best in it's class, i.e. Vbulletin.

As with everything on the web we are aware that things will change, it's got to. However, we also want you guys to be part of the ride, so let us know what you think, how can we make things better etc??

Enough !!! see you all L8r.

Joe

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
ERRRRRRR..........WOT?

Okay.............yeah.......well................
Enough of the laymen's terms, DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH?
what was that all about? That went a bit over my head, but then again, I'm not a star with computers.........
To those who, like me, did not understand the last posting, I'll translate for you:

OLD FORUM, BAAAADDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!
NEW FORUM, GOOOOODDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!

that's kinda what you were saying, yeah?

latorz!

Mikez

Jul 6, 2001
UK
Hi guys whats the deal with the buddy list and the pm message it dont work??
Mikez

E*B*R

Jul 3, 2001
England
www.p8ntballer.com
Buddy System

Hey Mikez,

The buddy system allows you see when your m8`s are online AND if you happen to spot anybody on the board you really do not like, there`s even an ignore list, so you don`t have to read their drivvle

The PM system isn`t active. The FAQ section gives more info on using this board.

Hope that helps, give the buddy system a go....

L8rz

sensei

Jul 9, 2001
east coast usa
Visit site
80/20, ryan...

Originally posted by Ryan
Period
80/20, ryan... 80% player, 20% marker... oop. then again, i forgot to plot a 'sponsorship' division... ok, here is the new pie chart: 80% sponsorship, 10% player, 10% marker... (just a joke, guys... relax...) :D

there are many more variables that can be incorporated into the equation other than marker vs. marker, ryan... ie: experience, mental preparation, field knowledge, physical fitness, marker maintanance, etc., etc., etc...

my two cents.