Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

P8ntballer Magazine

Richiemonk

Jul 24, 2005
Norfolk
Would this most historic of magazines ever be ressurected with an online version?
I miss my monthly fill and the current online mags are just too full of Scenario, Dont get me wrong, any ballin is good ballin, but its just not the same!!

Any thoughts on the matter Robbo?

Reactions: GODDY

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Hi Richie,

I'm afraid it's always gonna be down to money; first and foremost, the cost of printing up thousands of copies of magazines and staff etc is always [now at least] gonna be impossible with the amount of ad money sloshing around in the pots of different companies.
The paintball industry has been thru a real rough time of it lately and I'm afraid the sort of money required to put an ad in a printed magazine just isn't available.

As for a digital, on-line magazine?
There are a few knocking around who are surviving but since the ad revenue is soo low, people just can't allot the time and cost of producing it; the Industry needs to target as many ballers as they can per ad campaign and the one place this seems to happen is the forums.
These on-line magazines end up festooning the pages with ads and even more ads and the sad irony is, a lot of these ads aren’t even paid for, they’re put in to either entice the company being advertised or as magazine fillers ... they’re just padding out the pages...

The US Forum, PbNation was recently sold for I think 3.2 million dollars and the reason it attracted that price tag was purely and simply the traffic it tended to generate.
If I were still a player, I’d definitely want to read a magazine but lotsa people will always say ‘yeah yeah, we’ll buy it, read it’, whatever, but when push comes to shove .. it just don’t happen ... and that is why we are in the position we find ourselves in .....sad but true ..

Richiemonk

Jul 24, 2005
Norfolk
Couldn't ask for a better response.
I thought, though, that it was gonna come down to the Pound, Dollar and Euro signs!
A great shame as P8ntballer was a cracking read, and the copies i've got will always have pride a place.

Thanks for the low-down though.....

MaxRes :)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Max, whatever industry people profess regarding reasons for doing this or that always comes down to the root of all evil .... I've met but an extremely small handful of philanthropists in paintball, the remainder are held hostage to the slavish acquisition of the greenback.

timmyh007

I think we need a bigger boat
Aug 25, 2008
Bath
Mate I would love for PGI to come back but as Robbo says if the money aint there it cant happen. I have the last 10 years worth as some consolation and good reading but keep asking Robbo for pre 2000 copies...he claims they are locked in a file in Fort Knox!

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I've got most of the PGi mags [I'm missing about 20 I think] but I really have no idea why I'm keeping them because I never go and look at them; every time I have done that I always feel somewhat embarrased by it all.
But I know this much [and ignoring anything I did with PGi in nigh on 20 years of writing for them] that magazine was by far the most respected worldwide.
It may not have sold as many as APG but anyone and everyone in the industry from player to company owner made sure they read it every month.
This legacy was entirely down to one man, and that was Matt Tudor who sat behind the scenes pulling the strings .... he started it and he stopped it when it needed to be stopped.
It's a real shame because it was a well respected magaine and it was British .... I loved that bit :)
The only moans we used to get were from some of the UK players who were always bitching why their pic at the S****horpe 5 man wasn't in the magaine ...... PGi was an international mag and we had to reflect that in our editorial and I think Matt [Rancid] and Steve Duffy [Duffster] got it just right.
Unfortunately, the era of the printed mgaine in paintball has long pulled out of the station ... PGi RIP !

Reactions: Bolter

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Whilst on the subject of old copies of PGi, has anyone got the 200th edition PGi?
Can you please message me if you have .... I might make you an offer you can't refuse :)

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
I've got a lots of old PGi's from the late 80's and 90's here, as well as more recent copies

Also gave some UK paintball games and american mags - will try to list them later

timmyh007

I think we need a bigger boat
Aug 25, 2008
Bath
I've got a lots of old PGi's from the late 80's and 90's here, as well as more recent copies

Also gave some UK paintball games and american mags - will try to list them later
Any chance you would let me have a look at some 90s issues?