Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Paintball storage and shelf life

rob_evanson

Veni Vidi Vici
Jul 27, 2001
Cheshire, England
www.teamquestpaintball.co.uk
With the winter closing in, I'll probably only get out once maybe twice before the turn of the new year and I was thinking of buying a box of paint every month until I play in the new year to save money, but what kind of shelf life do balls have nowadays and where should I store them. I remember in the past I was told that bags should be agitataed and turned over every 2 to 3 weeks to stop the fill from settling or separating.

I have an outside shed but I think it will get too cold in the winter, so I was thinking under the stairs where its room temp with no heating.

xDansomee

Speedball in the woods!
May 30, 2009
Manea, Cambs.
www.iBotModz.net
If your just playing in the woods (not tourney) then paint lasts for ages, I had some stuff in pods for about 6 months and it was fine :p

I think Mike from TechPB said he has had paint last 18 months... But store it in pods or a plastic tub and move them around every so often.

Dave284

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2008
But store it in pods or a plastic tub and move them around every so often.
dont store it in pots. you keep it in confined spaces where its squished in (a pot) and it will dimple beyond belief. I'd keep it in the boxes in a warm dry environment and turn the boxes as often as possible to make sure it doesnt seperate.

wouldnt reccomend for tourney use, training or woodsball should be fine.

xDansomee

Speedball in the woods!
May 30, 2009
Manea, Cambs.
www.iBotModz.net
dont store it in pots. you keep it in confined spaces where its squished in (a pot) and it will dimple beyond belief. I'd keep it in the boxes in a warm dry environment and turn the boxes as often as possible to make sure it doesnt seperate.

wouldnt reccomend for tourney use, training or woodsball should be fine.
Fair enough, didn't think of that... Although I kept some in pots, as said above and I just 'spun' the pods around every so often.

Yeah, but whatever you do, agitate them slightly every week or two.

Vox900

Loki
Sep 22, 2008
Cambridge
Why not just put the money aside or something rather than buying paint and then buy fresh paint in the new year :)

Dave284

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2008
Fair enough, didn't think of that... Although I kept some in pots, as said above and I just 'spun' the pods around every so often.

Yeah, but whatever you do, agitate them slightly every week or two.
trouble is, with a pod thats filled properly, and with the majority of pods that arent, that wont make a blind bit of difference. its just going to turn the pod...

Why not just put the money aside or something rather than buying paint and then buy fresh paint in the new year :)
sensible option.

Orion3

Jul 12, 2009
Is there a difference if they are stored in an (air-tight) sealed bag opposed to a pod?

A few months back I found some old Proto paint (10 months+) I had left in some pods. I hadn't moved them around consciously, but the bag they were hidden in had been moved a few times during the time they were living in my garage.

Results – paint still flew quite consistently, although I did notice some had developed a few dipples (none when the paint was new). The biggest difference was the shell though. When it was new, I found the batch I had to be very fragile. I had a lot of barrel/hopper breaks at the time (probably why I didn’t manage to shoot it all in the first place).

Anyway, 10 months on – the shell had become much more durable. Still broke on impact, but I dropped a few on the patio (shooting in the garden) and instead of the usual bright orange mess on the floor, they bounced.

It may have been simply that the balls were old and that time had allowed the shells to harden or else it may have been the air getting to them that effected the change…or a combination of both.

I’m also considering buying a few cases over the winter – no near shops to me and don’t like to get it couriered as I’ve experienced a number of bag breaks in the past. That way I have it ready when I want to use it and don’t have to make any special trips.

There must be some paint manufacturers who browse this forum and who can give us some “professional” advice.