The Home Of European Paintball

Philly Americans out of the NPPL

Bob

www.inlinewalking.com
Oct 12, 2005
Aberdeen
www.fatbobspaintball.co.uk
July 28, 2008

After significant deliberation and discussion, the Pittsburgh All-Americans have decided to no longer compete in the NPPL and the seven man format. In a period in which teams are quickly becoming more competitive and the necessary efforts are required to be a top contender, the NPPL has befallen to an afterthought for the All-Americans. In 2008, the team has competed in the NXL, the Millennium Series and the NPPL. Nonetheless, the team has recently chosen to concentrate its entire efforts on the X-ball format as this method of focus will hopefully allow the All-Americans to become more competitive in two leagues rather than splitting duties among three. However, some of the Pittsburgh players will continue to guest with other organizations for the remaining 2008 NPPL season. The All-Americans wish only the best of regards to the league and the teams.

-Tim Montressor
Not the biggest contender in the NPPL but another team trying to focus and having problems doing three Major tournament series.

Any ideas on who will be gunning for their spot or are they in the drop zone?

Source:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?p=49994402#post49994402

Fisz

Ka mate!
Jun 10, 2006
They chickened out IMO, seeing as they were firmly in the relegation zone with only two events of the season left to play.

Mario

Pigeon amongst the cats
Sep 25, 2002
Location, Location.
How are they doing in xball? If they are doing beter it pretty much makes sense for them to drop the series where they aint so hot. In these hard economic times its a win win situation for them i'd guess.

Can they sell their spot?

Bob

www.inlinewalking.com
Oct 12, 2005
Aberdeen
www.fatbobspaintball.co.uk
How are they doing in xball? If they are doing beter it pretty much makes sense for them to drop the series where they aint so hot. In these hard economic times its a win win situation for them i'd guess.

Can they sell their spot?
Question is who would buy it? If its in the relegation zone would a team from the division below fill the gap or will NPPL just leave one of the relegation spots empty for the last 2 events?

karseras69

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2006
Canterbury, Kent
A merge of the 2 leagues may not be beneficial for the PSP/NXL at this point in time, when all pro players i speak to and hear believe that the future of paintball remains in the 5 man x-ball scene it could be about time we saw the NPPL packs its bags a losing battle (all possible even though unlikely)

they could deff sell their spot, maybe even to another pro team for cheap who could save it for cheap and look at it as an investment for next year. Team spots are only going to go up

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
they could deff sell their spot
To who? Specifically. Do the current top 3 in Semi-Pro want it? Don't think so. Joy is currently renting their spot out and Philly may the first time to drop out but they aren't the only ones talking about it.
A spot only has value if someone wants it and then that value is determined by what someone is willing to give.
From the teams point of view promo/relegation is a problem. Sure it's exciting and adds some spice over the season and keeps a level of interest in semi-pro but the current pro teams have reason--have always had reason regardless of which teams--to object. Promo/relegation means any sponsor (particularly the outside of paintball someday maybe variety) is less inclined to any sort of longer term deal because the teams can offer no real guarantee they will remain pro and as it stands now the league and the teams compete for sponsors because league sponsorship has no direct bearing on the teams. And as for the old saw about the teams and league working together to develop outside sponsors, TV and a new market for paintball who really wins if any of that happens? It ain't the teams--at least not most of them so as the situation sits now the teams continue to support the league and are the league's featured product and the only guarantee they have is that if they end up bottom 3 they are gone.
I'm getting me a spot right after I plant these magic beans I traded the family cow for.

JDO

Jon & Chris rock my socks
May 13, 2008
London
To who? Specifically. Do the current top 3 in Semi-Pro want it? Don't think so. Joy is currently renting their spot out and Philly may the first time to drop out but they aren't the only ones talking about it.
A spot only has value if someone wants it and then that value is determined by what someone is willing to give.
From the teams point of view promo/relegation is a problem. Sure it's exciting and adds some spice over the season and keeps a level of interest in semi-pro but the current pro teams have reason--have always had reason regardless of which teams--to object. Promo/relegation means any sponsor (particularly the outside of paintball someday maybe variety) is less inclined to any sort of longer term deal because the teams can offer no real guarantee they will remain pro and as it stands now the league and the teams compete for sponsors because league sponsorship has no direct bearing on the teams. And as for the old saw about the teams and league working together to develop outside sponsors, TV and a new market for paintball who really wins if any of that happens? It ain't the teams--at least not most of them so as the situation sits now the teams continue to support the league and are the league's featured product and the only guarantee they have is that if they end up bottom 3 they are gone.
I'm getting me a spot right after I plant these magic beans I traded the family cow for.

Wasn't Joy renting their spot to the All-Americans? If so, would Joy then have to play Semi-Pro next year?

Chicago

Jan 31, 2005
Visit site
yet another indication of the need to unify the two series & formats into one?
Unifying formats is the DUMBEST IDEA EVER. Pick one. Or make a new one that makes actual sense. But please, please, please don't create some ****ty ******* half-and-half format for the sake of 'keeping something from both formats' that is ultimately going to suck.

Anytime someone suggests '7-man XBall!' I want to punch them in the face.