Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Pro 10-man nearing extinction?

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Word is PSP asking pro squads how they want the allotted prize money distributed and whether or not continuing to play 10-man is a viable option.
As it stands now pro 10-man is a non-starter. And can somebody tell how they're gonna regain any credibility?
And what happens to even the pretense of the lower division teams getting a chance to play "the best"?

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Wasn't it somewhat inevitable if X-ball were to become a big success? That it would be the top level? Kind of like the premier league is above Div 1 in UK football terms.

It's a shame it's a different format but there is already div 1 and div 2 X-ball... will we see Div 3 and Div 4?... maybe with shorter halves to make it financially viable for the lower levels?

Everyone I know who has actually played X-ball loved it. Heck I want to play it! Maybe as the PSP evolves Pro and all 10 man will disappear as X-ball and 7 man take over the world.

Actually all this is just a subterfeuge to get away from the fact that Baca has discovered the Euro master plan to get rid of 10 man and take over the world with 7 man...

bwuahahahaha ;)

knobbs

Sep 16, 2002
www.teaminfected.com
I hope so, with the way the pro bracket is looking. I don't know--I totally understand the whole wanting to play the best thing, but I think the pro level *should* be somewhat special.

Gee

Mar 18, 2002
Reading UK
Visit site
Originally posted by Baca Loco
And what happens to even the pretense of the lower division teams getting a chance to play "the best"?
The teams realise that the pretense only applies if you cut 3 players, and do want the euros want.

Red_Merkin

IMHO
Jul 9, 2001
Montreal
It's a shame it's a different format but there is already div 1 and div 2 X-ball... will we see Div 3 and Div 4?... maybe with shorter halves to make it financially viable for the lower levels?
how short would you have to make the halves if you were going to run x-ball for lower divisions?

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Originally posted by Red_Merkin
how short would you have to make the halves if you were going to run x-ball for lower divisions?
This is something I've been thinking quite a bit about.

Because of the way the pro's play it, they have a lot more games in the 20 minute halves and so with each 3 minute break the game goes on for a lot longer.

With lower level teams that I have watched there are less games and the time and overall game goes MUCH faster, because there are less 3 minute interval breaks. I think you could bring it down to 10 minutes a half and still have a decent competition... How many games get anywhere near that in 5 man? Most are around 3-4 minutes (if that) so you would still end up with some interesting score lines.

I think the scores might end up lower (obviously) but you are still playing the same format etc... and it would be a cheaper introduction...

Red_Merkin

IMHO
Jul 9, 2001
Montreal
I've been thinking about this too. I guess the rest of us 'euros' will have a better idea of x-ball and how it is played after Portugal.

Just a rough estimate, if you play three, five minute games a half,
approx six games total per match, shooting an average 5 pots of paint per player per game, a game, is approximatly 10.5 cases of paint per game.

If the average player plays 2 games per event, and refs a third, then they the shoot 21 cases of paint per team, based on a three day event.

shamu

Tonight we dine in hell
Apr 17, 2002
Now-Cal
Too many choices

Sounds like backlash from having too many choices - 5 man, 10 man, Xball, and don't forget Super7. The talent pool, especially at the top level, is a lot more spread out than any time in recent memory, making the pro level look weak. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the PSP pro formats go away (either 10 man or Xball Div 1 & 2).

Isn't the whole point of NXL to create an elite division and promote paintball to the general public? So what's the point of Div 1 & 2? To give Strange someplace to practice Xball? To make a few more bucks?

To me, the Div 1 & 2 Xball is an interesting idea but I don't think it's a winner. PSP should keep the NXL, keep the pro 10 man and get the rest of the event in order (refs, fields, etc.).

Red_Merkin

IMHO
Jul 9, 2001
Montreal
Isn't the whole point of NXL to create an elite division and promote paintball to the general public? So what's the point of Div 1 & 2? To give Strange someplace to practice Xball? To make a few more bucks?
I think what this proves is that given the choice players want to play x-ball because it's different, new, and more exciting.

My bet is that 10 man dies (shame really).