Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Questions about paint :)

MINTY_71

replacement killer
Feb 18, 2006
romford essex
What would be regarded as good quality paint ?
What make / brands are worth the price

I know prices can differ from differnt sellers .
But can anyone give a list of good quality paint .. And also ones to avoid ..

I'm asking this as the brands of paint I used to see around paintball places I can't seem to find
Now..( Blimey has it been that long ! ) :)
I know about winter and summer paint so no need to explain about that .

Just wanted a guide for good brands / makes..and there prices .

Thanks guys.. All comments welcome and muchley appreciated !

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
What is tip quality varies from the type of game

In tournament play you want a thick bright fill in a very fragile shell that will break in the majority of cases on your target but not break in your pod, hopper, breach or barrel
'Speedball' markers are designed to be gentle on paint to allow you to use more brittle paint

In the woods you do not want a fragile shell as you may also have to shoot through grass - or even branches (there was some tough paint when I began)
Mechanical 'woodsball' markers have historically been rugged and could be tough on paint so speedball paint could give a woodsballer a bad day

But people no longer go by 'woodsball' and 'speedball' guns anymore, and use the gun they want to and the paint choices they want to

Paint is also influenced by weather so there are winter and summer recipes

Cheap / poor quality paint could be quality control rejects and also made in greater bulk on faster production lines, less precisely made and not very round

tombut716

Team Proteus Founder & UKPSF Member #5993
May 13, 2013
Cheshire
Most major brands have a grading system on the box usually as a star rating from 1 being entry level paint mainly used for training, recreational playing and used by most sites, and all the way to 5 stars as competition grade, usually most expensive with a brittle shell so less bounces on a target.

If you look at the majority of online shops they stock a couple of brands and usually all grades with explanations on best UAE for them, and shell and paint spec.

F3Z

Mar 17, 2003
Bristol, UK
The brands of paint you used to buy probably mostly still exist but have re-branded for some reason or another. We tend to stick to the GI, Pro-Caps paint personally. It's not that it's the best just that is it the most consistent from batch to batch. They grading is so simple 1 - 5 star so it makes it easier to distinguish between the field and tourney grade paints.

Gadget

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Essex, UK
As mentioned above, the 'best' paint is going to depend on what you shoot and where you play. High-end tournament paint like Empire Evil, DXS Hellfire, Dye CG or GI 5* will be great if you have a very smooth shooting gun - as it'll have a very fragile shell to avoid bounces, however try running it through a low-end blowback marker and you'll end up with expensive paint soup dripping out of your barrel.

Paint quality also varies between batches, so while you might get one batch of a specific paint that is perfectly round, the next might have more dimples. In general though, the more you pay, the more consistently round the paint will be and the more fragile the shell. For walk-ons and rec/scenario play I avoid the high-end stuff as it will be too fragile and avoid the cheapest stuff as it tends to be very hard and usually dimpled to hell.

I just tend to buy whatever mid-price paint is available, with the quality of that batch really being a case of pot luck :)

Go for any of the major brands and you'll probably be fine - Empire/RPS Marballizer, DXS Silver/Gold, GI 3*, Pure Silver etc.

Last edited:

MINTY_71

replacement killer
Feb 18, 2006
romford essex
Thanks for all the comments and advise guys .. Really helpful !
Markers that paint I will be buying for . Is ego 10 . Shocker sft and on occasion tippmann A-5 .

Last edited:

tombut716

Team Proteus Founder & UKPSF Member #5993
May 13, 2013
Cheshire
Pure Silver is a great mid range paint. ME and my mate have used it a few times and had no breaks and very consistent shooting. Im using an axe and my mate was using a BT Delta 4 slice so works with all sides of the gun world.

But as gadget said batches of the same paint vary, so id suggest a mid range paint and stick with it. Mid range paint is around the £30 a box from most suppliers.

Rewan

Aug 12, 2013
Cornwall
Playing speedball we use GI** for practises and Dye CG for competing. Both paints seem nice.

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
Storing the paint correctly and at the right temperature is key. Id take well stored rec ball grade paint over a box of evil left out in the frost for a night any day.