Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Robbo U Turn ????

Davo

Goldmember
May 9, 2002
Middlesbrough
Visit site
Some months back now Robbo was vindicating the tactic of not entering '2 bit' tournies in favour of training, training and more training.

I could not help but notice but 'Nexus' Teams in whatever guise have attended recently both the Midland Masters and Series 2003 events. Whilst I am in no way intimating that these tournies are 2 bit in any way, shape or form but why has the big man changed his regime??

I personally think it is fantastic that Nexus are showing off their highly skillfull and tactically adept play to us everyday tourney ballers who will probably never get to see them in a big millenium style tourney but....................... why the change of heart Pete ? just curious!

Also what other tournies have you scheduled for the rest of the year, apart from the biggies??

Thanks

Mark Toye-Nexus

Rushers
Jul 18, 2001
Sarf London
My reply

This is my 'take' on events - not necessarily that of the team;

We were overdue a training day and everyone was available last weekend - this weekend coming is Nick Truters and Sam's engagement party so we are all otherwise 'engaged'.

Skirmish Nottingham unfortunately could not accomodate us last weekend - they had a corporate event on so we looked at something else we could do - get some trigger time, see some friends, play ball and try some stuff out.

Uttoxeter had an event on - and we decided to go for it - Robbo is away at the moment and wasnt really keen on us playing but probably appreciates the need to get some play in.

We had 8 players available and so enetered two 4 man teams - this in no way meant to be demeaning or over confident on our part. We wanted to be put on the back foot and try and play out of heads down situations - which both teams had to do time and again.

So in short - we wont be playing many events over here - just when we need to - and these events are fun for us away from the grinder that is the NPPL and we get to see friends and make more!!!

Hope to see you soon

Mark

Dec 19, 2002
Scotland
My reply

Originally posted by Mark Toye-Nexus

So in short - we wont be playing many events over here - just when we need to - and these events are fun for us away from the grinder that is the NPPL and we get to see friends and make more!!!

Hope to see you soon

Mark
Be nice to see you guys play over here a bit more often, you could show us how it's supposed to be done ;) :D

Mak D :cool:

ratty_ratty

Rusty
Feb 16, 2003
Eynsham (oxfordshire)
Visit site
i can rember when i marshalled the series a while back at uttoxter it was on field 4 i rember and it was a very quick and scary game (to me that is) one of ur players (Nexus) asked me to do a paint check and i did as i moved in ihe shot me 5 times in the head and it hurt:( cant rember who it was but it he did say sorry:p i also marshaled the final and there was a very bad call where one of ur players (Nexus) got pulled out for having a paint splat on his foot but i saw he stood on the paintball and it burst. the marshall did apologise but it didnt matter as u boys won. Watching Nexus play is a very good experience to me and i wish i caould watch all ur games though:(

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Davo
Some months back now Robbo was vindicating the tactic of not entering '2 bit' tournies in favour of training, training and more training.

I could not help but notice but 'Nexus' Teams in whatever guise have attended recently both the Midland Masters and Series 2003 events. Whilst I am in no way intimating that these tournies are 2 bit in any way, shape or form but why has the big man changed his regime??

I personally think it is fantastic that Nexus are showing off their highly skillfull and tactically adept play to us everyday tourney ballers who will probably never get to see them in a big millenium style tourney but....................... why the change of heart Pete ? just curious!

Also what other tournies have you scheduled for the rest of the year, apart from the biggies??

Thanks
When I started out with Nexus, the first thing I had to do was to deconstruct their previous games, I could not achieve this in any way, if we played in small tournaments.
Basically, as soon as the guys would have gone onto that field I would have lost control of them.
I needed to have them on the field in front of me, with me being able to stop any games at any time for there to be any consistent deconstruction and subsequent reconstruction.
All the bad habits had to be targeted out of their games and the job still hasn't been done but that first few months were crucial in changing the mindset of the players.
They all had to accept a new regime of learning and to an extent, leave behind them all they had learnt before.
They accepted this with hardly any moans or groans, they just got on with the job in hand and that was to try and learn as much as possible in such a short period of time.

Now the reason why we played the recent five-man (with both our teams playing with only four players) was because we just needed to get some field time in and our normal training site was unavailable and I was away in Rome, so it was a convenient practice day run out for us.
We weren't trying to be flash or anything else, we just needed all 8 players there to play as many games as possible, we didn't have enough players for two five man teams and too many for one, so the answer was to put two four man teams in thus ensuring all of the players played every possible game.
As for the 7-man at Uttoxter, we had to play at least one 7 man to try and get the team playing together before we went to Vegas as we only trained amongst ourselves up until then and never had an opportunity to run out as a seven man.
We have now gotten the team to a point, where the mindset has been changed sufficiently where I can now look at playing certain tournaments that fall into place with the NPPL events we got coming up, as well as playing against teams like Kelly's, Twisted and a few more besides at Nottingham.
So no real u-turns for anybody to gloat over, we are just taking a slightly different route from when we started out on a frikkin long road.

Davo

Goldmember
May 9, 2002
Middlesbrough
Visit site
No gloating intended !

Can honestly say that gloating was the last thing on my mind Pete, simply very interested in your regime and its progress to date and why you felt that playing the tourneys was now to be included in your ongoing development.

From what I have seen what you have done so far has worked fantastically well and I watch out for your first major trophy with bated breath

Good luck next time out !

:)