Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Russian Legion ...

Micah

Ok, so we all know that russian legion are hardcore with their practice regimes and stuff. The play ball what, 5 days a week now? and we all know (uh ... I guess) that this is the wave of the future.

But what I want to know is, how can I, an American who works 6days a week, train like they do? What drills do they do when they work on snap shooting etc.

I want to Train like they do ... but my daddy aint no head of one of the biggest Banks in Russia ...

Robbo, if you see this, could you do an out line of what a typical training day for the ruskis looks like, and how i can make my training days more effective, like the russians do.

-Micah

Problem

Oct 5, 2001
Visit site
Trying to find that out myself, but you know what? I bet they don't train any differently as far as the fundamental skills:

lots of hours snapping each other
uneven teams scrimmaging
lots of physical exercise, like running and shooting
some coordinated attacks against observers

Where I bet the difference is, and hopefully I'll find out soon, is that they are systematic. By that, I mean they repeat a drill until they get it to perfection, they allow very careful analysis not by team mates but by their coaches, they review their own video.

I think Peter was right about their connection to the future, but I have a better question.

Why don't they win every time? Is something holding them back?

Larry

Micah

Well, the keep 'not winning' by very very few points. Like one more player eliminated for a team that won (if that makes sence, you get a certain number of points for each live player at the end of a game) so _if_ (and I'm not accusing any one) a player on the winning team had wiped, their team would win, and RL wouldn't ...

Gee ... I'm not very articulate today ...

-Micah

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Originally posted by Problem
Trying to find that out myself, but you know what? I bet they don't train any differently as far as the fundamental skills:

lots of hours snapping each other
uneven teams scrimmaging
lots of physical exercise, like running and shooting
some coordinated attacks against observers

Where I bet the difference is, and hopefully I'll find out soon, is that they are systematic. By that, I mean they repeat a drill until they get it to perfection, they allow very careful analysis not by team mates but by their coaches, they review their own video.

I think Peter was right about their connection to the future, but I have a better question.

Why don't they win every time? Is something holding them back?

Larry
Okay, I'm putting two and two together from different articles written on the subject, so all this is assumption, but you'll see that it sounds likely.
Sergei, Russian Legion big cheese, had a pool of about 100 players to chose from. So obviously the chances of finding 10 guys in there that have talent for paintball, and athletic ability are slim. Instead he picked up those that had athletic ability, improved on that with a rigorous training regime, and at the same time 'tought' them to play paintball by an equally rigorous training regime. Few, if any, of the guys on the Legion have that natural talent for just paintball that some of the well known names have. They got to where they are by training, training, and nothing else. All their ability has been aquired by training.
Now, at the moment a squad of 'happy go lucky' players (for lack of a better word) with a lot of talent in their asses is enough to beat a team which does not rely on talent, but on their training. However, consistent back to back high rankings by the Russian Legion does prove that theirs is the way forward. Look at the top pro teams that don't train as disciplined as the Legion. One month they are king of the world, next month, they don't even make the semis. The Legion is always in there. Given time, the training may take the Legion's players up that extra notch that'll nudge them into first place.
Just imagine what you could do if you had a squad of players all with the natural talent of people like Lang, Lasoya, Cagnoni, and you'd train like the Legion does....you'd rip up everything!

Micah

yes yes I know all that, but How can I, cocky boy with loads of talent (yet to be discoverd for some reason :cool: ) Train like the ruskies so that I can be better than them? I know that they aren't naturaly talented 'ballwers perse, but they train their asses off to play some of the best ball in the world. I want to train like that.

Do i just need to fly to russia and tag along with them until I get deported?

-Micah

Tony

Dead Hellfish
Jul 7, 2001
Jarra, N-E , UK
Visit site
People seem to talk about certain players having 'natural talent'. What is this that certain people seem to have yet others don't?? How do you define it??

Players who are deemed to have natural talent seem to me to have been around for years, practicing. The hot young players (Lang, Fraige, Klamper, etc etc) all belong to teams with established pros in their ranks, who can teach them to play the game. The young players get thrown in against the best players in the world, and you're bound to learn in those circumstances, especially with someone like Lasoya or Marty Bush or Mike Bruno telling you what you did wrong after you played.