Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Simple gun question...

Emerson

no longer a newbie
Nov 10, 2001
Indiana, USA
I'm definitely what would be considered a "newbie", I've played three times and rented each time (though I do consider myself a quick learner and picked it up quickly). I just bought a Spyder Compact 2000 but I don't really know much about gun upkeep. So I have a couple, quick newbie questions I haven't seen answered elsewhere on the net:

If my c02 tank is full where should I store it? Do I have to keep it someplace in particular or does it not matter?

Also, just out of curiosity, how many paintballs do you people use on average per game? I know it's an "everytime is different" question but just need to know. I only use, like, one quarter of my 200 rd hopper each game and I could never understand how many shots good players take. Just as an approximation.

One last thing: I plan on playing paintball much more competitively in the future (after I get some practice of course)...well, out of all the parts on a Spyder Compact, per se, which part would I want to upgrade first after the barrel (which has already been upgraded)?

Thanks alot for your help.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Can't tell you much about the spyder, cause I never had one or serviced one. As for storing the CO2, keep it out of the sun, and not to hot. Any cupboard will do really.
Avarage paint usage.......Jeez, I don't think I'm a good example here, cause I'm a backplayer, hence I shoot lots, plus I shoot an Angel, which makes me shoot even more. I guess I shoot anywhere between 500 to 1000 a game, don't really know to be honest.

Loki

Oct 7, 2001
London
Visit site
ok Emerson,

A few notes to bare in mind.... Buddha mentioned he is a Backplayer and shoots 500 - 1000 paintballs a game. That implies he play tournament and at that amount I'd guess it's Hyperball or Sup'Air ball.

You're currently playing rec-ball so I'm guessing its in playing areas that have more cover and are probably bigger than a tourney playing field. That means you will use a lot less paint anyway. Some people use the belief of fire as much paint at someone even if they're behind a baracade just on the off chance that one of those little round friends managed to click them on the player. I tend to fire quite a lot....but im a front player and I don't shoot any where as much as Buddha does.

CO2, well untill recently i used to use CO2 on my old mag. I agree with Buddha on the keeping the bottle out of the sun and heat. One thing to remeber is that despite doing all you can to keep the bottle cool and away from light the gas slowly escapes over time anyway, so chances are if you don't play for a week or 2 you'll find the botle empty or will only have about 50 shots left in it.

Lastly like Buddha I've never owned a Spyder but I think if you're planning on getting into more competitive games then a drop forward for you gas would help alot. The drop forward will help you play alot tighter (meaning you can get closer to your barricade and show less of your body to the angels that people will try to shoot you from). Also if you get to a standard of shooting so quickly that you start smegging the barrel (breaking paint in your breach) then get a revolution hopper.

Hope that helps, oh and one other point.....remeber everyone has their own opinions on paintball, be it the best gun, best barrel, best paint, best technique yada yada yada...... Listen to what people tell you, take on board what they say, build up your own opinon but try to keep an open mind. ( Or at least thats y opinion ;) )

L

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Loki makes a very good point! (By the way, I indeed play Sup'air as much as possible)
Loki also said this before, but it's sooooooo important and true, I'll have to repeat it; Listen to other (experienced) people, but don't believe everything they say. People have a tendency to say that whatever they own is the best thing around. So take their opinion onboard, but make up your own mind.
Revolution loader is indeed a good plan. The reason I repeat some of the things said is simple, if you hear the same things said from more than a few people, chances are, they're right.

But if you want to get an upgrade or a new marker, see if you can try it out before you buy. A lot of guys out there are always happy to help out a newby, so it's not a problem if you would like to try out someone's barrel/marker/underwear (make sure you wear it yellow stain in front, brown stain in back).

Welcome to the wonderful world of shooting your friends on the weekend!

Good luck.

Revvy Hoppers

Hi,

Excuse my tendency to post over Jay, but I feel the need (I am now on the homepage about 4 times (for me that feels like fame)!:D

Loki suggested getting a Revvy (or other agitating) hopper if you overfire a gravity fed one... if you don't already have one then: GET ONE!

There is nothing more disheartening than pooping round a piece of cover and having an empty chambre (your gun goes "phut"... then you make a strangely similar nois as the bright coloured goo oozed over your eyes). They cause your marker to fire first time, every time, they may look expensive, but you will love yourself for buying one.

Enjoy (vut try not to laugh to much at your victims agony, its bad manners)

Richard

Emerson

no longer a newbie
Nov 10, 2001
Indiana, USA
Thanks for your help. I just have one more quick (off-topic) question: How many times a week do you all play/practice? Everyday, every other day, once a week? Just trying to gauge the work-ethic required of a serious pballer.

I didn't want to take up a whole new thread for a simple question like this (I don't know much about paintball now, but I'm eager to learn!)...

FI2eeFL0w

Team Halo
Aug 11, 2001
USA (texas)
i myself play about 3 times a month, more if im able to. But its very expensive to do that....
and if ya dont know that much about paintball and wanna learn more, scan the sites, read the magazines, and talk to the other players at the field, helps a lot

How often do I play?

No worries, always glad to pass the b*******s I talk off as sage advice :D

I play about once a month, but I would like to (afford to) play more. Practice would be nice, but we can't seem to get that sorted very often.

Read the begginers articles on this site, they are quite good, particularly "How not to suck" doesn't replace playing tourneys, but takes some of the shock value out of it.

Good luck, see you in the middle

Richard