Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Spyder or Piranha?

Brokemelon

Permanent Newbie
Dec 4, 2001
Los Angeles
Hey... born-again newbie here. I haven't been to a field to play since I worked at one about 5 years ago, and lately I've been gettin' the itch to lite someone up. I'm going to play in the next few weeks and am already pretty sure I'm gonna want a marker, visting a field after being gone so long. But I can't decide if i want a Spyder TL Plus or a Piranha G3 STS. They're pretty comparable in price and features. I've used a Spyder before and liked it, and they've been around for a while, but the Piranha seems to be a cleaner design and of more sound construction. Not to mention it looks better. If anyone had any info or opinions on the matter, it would be much appreciated.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Well, if you think it looks better, it should be pretty much decided....:)
Okay, I'll impart the knowledge I gained working in a P'ball store.
Spyder: Pretty good value for money. User friendly, doesn't break down often. Lots of upgrades available, such as aftermarket barrels and internals. Well made.
Piranha: Pretty good value for money. As user friendly as they come. This marker is totally strip-downable in a matter of seconds! Whatever part you should want to replace, you can be up and gunning again within five minutes. Lots of upgrades available as well (same barrel threading by the way).

Piranha's edge over the spyder: User friendliness. Easiest to maintain marker in that price range. (plus looks, but that is ofcourse a matter of opinion)
Spyder's edge over the Piranha: Durability. I would say the Spyder is just a little less susceptible to wear and tear.

All in all it's a close race. It's really up to what you like best. Because of the only very small differences in durabilty, quality wise they are on equal par. If I had to choose a marker from that catagory, I'd go for the Piranha, because of it's ease of use, which is important to me.

You're bound to get loads of opinions though, my advice is try them out before buying. All that we have to say is just opinions. Form your own before chosing, based on experience, not on what a bunch of goofballs on a bulletin board have to say. :D

P.S. Please people, don't start shouting things like 'Get a Tippman, or an Inferno', it's hard enough for newbies to choose as it is, don't go f*cking this guy's head up with even more choices. Just be happy that he has been able to narrow it down already. And yeah, I know there are plenty of other good markers out there.

Peace.

cowface

Team Rampage
Oct 9, 2001
northamptonshire
the piranha can take nearly ne spyder upgrade, but if u live in the uk, go for the spyder, a shuuter maybe? or an xtra. u will probly find no1 that supplys pirahnas here, but have a look, might be some1 round here.

Brokemelon

Permanent Newbie
Dec 4, 2001
Los Angeles
Thanks Buddha. You pretty much backed up my research, which is quite cool as I've read alot of your posts and you seem to know your ****. As every enlightened one should. I pretty set on getting the Piranha. As for getting a Tippman or Inferno... well, I'd rather have a VM-68. I can't decide on the cool titanium finish or the black. I'll have to figure that one on my own.

Brokemelon

Permanent Newbie
Dec 4, 2001
Los Angeles
Can you still buy VM-68's? With the cool under barrel air bottle. You could drop my sister Ford Explorer on one and it'd still work. I think they're made out of adamantium, or mithril, or sumpin' like that. I had alot of fun with VM-68's back in the day.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Man, my first semi was a VM68 magnum. It came with a barrel half a mile long, and it had the bottle moved to the rear. Damn thing was sooooooo heavy, plus it's one of the few markers I know with actual recoil :D .
Sheridan doesn't make them anymore, but with a bit of luck you should be able to find some that are new, or at least in good state. You might have some problems finding spares though.
Thanks for the compliment, and whatever you end up getting, have fun with it!!!!!