The Home Of European Paintball

The sanctity of life

Lovetone

Peter Pan of Paintball
Feb 25, 2005
Manchestoh
www.myspace.com
Do you beleive life is sacred?

What is your take on pro-life activists?

Do you beleive in abortion / is a fetus a human being?

note: Ive been listening to a skit by George Carlin (RIP) and it has made me wonder what peoples take on it all is.

jagerpirate

--East Coast NV--
Oct 26, 2007
Aberdeen
I'm pro choice. I think people who are 100% anti abortion with no exeptions are very missguided and in a sense cruel. For example the Catholic church in Bravil who excommunicated an 11 year old girl who was raped by her Step-father and pregnant with twins and the doctor who performed the abortion. In that case her body was physicall incapable of supporting those babies and would likely have kill both babies and the girl. The Chruches reasoning, they deserved the chance.

Obviously abrotion needs to be controlled but it is a nessessary option

pid

blah blah blah
Aug 27, 2005
in the thick of it
Visit site
Pro choice definitely
Using Jager's example above, the Church reasoned they deserved a chance even though medically they stood severe chance of death. But surely the person carrying (and their partner in most cases) should be allowed to decide. There's lifestyle/financial/health and emotional aspects to consider. I mean, if you decide right I'm pregnant I'm having a kid what strain might that put on a relationship if both parties don't see the same? What if financially its impossible? This could lead to a breakdown in the relationship and ultimately, this child will be impacted. I'm not saying single parent or shared parenting fails, far from it but you see my point?

Rider

scottishwarriors.co.uk
but it does bring to mind the concept of when (or if) does abortion become murder?

at what point would a foetus stop being a bunch of organic material and start being a human that can process information and produce reactions and emotions?

from the church's (and most religious) points of view, as soon as the child is concieved. but science has shown that there is no real sign of meaningful brain activity until around 10-12 weeks - though this is waaaaaay earlier than previously thought, and way below the cut off point for abortion.

and there other factors to consider too. would allowing the foetus to develop harm it's chances of a meaningful or safe life as an individual? if allowing the baby to develop carries a significant risk of killing the mother and/or baby is it right to take that chance? is a doctor (or indeed lawyer) that says the child must be born, thus signing a death sentecne on the mother, not in their own way committing a murder?

hot topic lovetone.......

though i have to say the pro-lifers need to take a grip on reality - they are borderline fanatics.....

edit: in reconsideration - they are fanatics, and should also be treated as terrorist due to some of the campaigns they have initiated against some clinics and individuals (and even their families) in the good ol' US of A.

Bon

Timmy Nerd
Feb 22, 2006
Birmingham
I believe human life is not life untill it can acknowledge its own existance. Therefore I am pro choice.

pid

blah blah blah
Aug 27, 2005
in the thick of it
Visit site
but it does bring to mind the concept of when (or if) does abortion become murder?

at what point would a foetus stop being a bunch of organic material and start being a human that can process information and produce reactions and emotions?
Good point.
Like you said, 10-12 weeks it can process things, but to what level? (I'm not up on these things)
I had this discussion at work a while back. someone compared it to something that happened to them recently.
Their father in law collapsed and got take to ICU. he is all there, but the doctors said he will suffer another stroke/heart attack. not if, but when. Considering he cant breathe on his own this will 99% finish him off. They have to decide whether to re suss or not. What do you decide? he's all there body & mind apart from his heart. (cant get transplant cos he cant breathe on his own, and it will take a beating from another stroke & the re suss machine).

And slightly side stepping the subject. Pets, you take your pet to the vets, it has a problem, serious, do you put it down being "humane" or let it live out possibly in pain/suffering etc.

With everything, surely there has to be a "black & white" line. No matter what the outcome weigh up the pro's and cons. sometimes you have to do things for the "greater good" & consider both options.

Bon

Timmy Nerd
Feb 22, 2006
Birmingham
Good point.

Their father in law collapsed and got take to ICU. he is all there, but the doctors said he will suffer another stroke/heart attack. not if, but when. Considering he cant breathe on his own this will 99% finish him off. They have to decide whether to re suss or not. What do you decide?

This is why I am also in favor of assissted suicide, should someone be facing a long painful period before death, they should be allowed the choice to avoid that pain and die happier than after weeks / months / years of agony.

TEKLOFTY

You're in the jungle baby
Jan 7, 2009
In your sphincter
This is why I am also in favor of assissted suicide, should someone be facing a long painful period before death, they should be allowed the choice to avoid that pain and die happier than after weeks / months / years of agony.
I think in general the concensus would be to allow assisted suicide, the problems it creates rather then being emotional though are usually large and with heavy legal implications; the system would need to be ready before implementing such a change.

Lovetone

Peter Pan of Paintball
Feb 25, 2005
Manchestoh
www.myspace.com
to paraphrase George

Is a fetus a human being?
If it is, how come the census doesnt count them?
If there is a miscarriage, why isnt there a funeral?
How come people who are pregnant say things like "we have two children and one on the way", and not "we have three children"?