Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

The X-Ball Finale or is it Fiasco ?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Here's the deal, I have spent most of this afternoon and tonight on the phone talking to Laurent , Richmond, Niall and a few more besides.
I have now lost all faith in common sense and reason and here's why:- When I had that meeting in Orlando with Richmond, Sergei and Laurent to try and see if we could set up for X-ball over here, the proposal we came away with was an integrated international tournament series with us having 8 teams solely playing X-Ball with two American teams making the trip over to Europe for each event and the Euro teams each having to make two trips stateside.
This gave X-Ball it's validation in terms of an international series and it also gave the Euros, what I think , a more than fair deal with regard to world significance when it came to X-Ball , especially when the finals came along in Orlando where the top four Euro teams would go across to contest for X-ball World Champs.
So far so good.
All that remained was for us Euros, both promoters and teams to organise ourselves into a league and for the promoters to put their hands in their pockets and invest in what was a promising investment.
Now I can't go into too much detail about potential earnings, but take my word for it, the earning potential for X-ball teams Stateside and by extension us Euros, is huge, the like of which paintball has never encountered before.
I can't overstress this point enough believe me, the sums being talked about are astronomical and you don’t get people like Jerry Braun and Renick Miller investing the sort of money they are without it being an almost rock bottom cert.
All that said, all we had to do was to organise our X-Ball circuit, no big cash monies were being asked like the American circuit and it was to be a joint venture with promoters and teams funding the expenses of putting it all on.
Richmond was going to supply the hardware infrastructure such as scoreboard etc, so the cost was nothing like the Yanks had to face.

This was the initial proposal, we have now gone from that to a watered-down version that had no American teams able to come across and each X-Ball team not only playing just one X-ball game per Millennium but also playing the Millennium 7 man itself which was ludicrous if teams wanted to get serious and play X-Ball.

At this point, alarm bells started to ring in my head as we were now being expected to play in a circuit devoid of American competition and playing it so half heartedly in terms of promoter’s commitment, it ended up being farcical for any serious minded team to consider.
And then Sergei dropped the bombshell and told me that he needed to play against consistent competition and would looks Stateside to achieve that and leave Europe alone.
I had previously told Nial and Laurent, weeks before Sergei had even said this to me that under no circumstances should we allow a situation to develop that would make the Russians want to leave and play in America, it would be a frikkin disaster for Europe as we would lose the finest team this continent has ever produced.

The Millennium committee has now finally come to their decision, they have decided they will play X-Ball but it will be a nations cup affair with country against country and will not be team based.
This cannot be integrated in any way with the Americans, it runs contra to every common sense opportunity that X-Ball ever offered and when I asked Richmond what he thought, all he could say was that he was disappointed, he didn’t think it was the right way to go and felt that us Euros were missing a great opportunity..
Richmond ain’t no fool, if he says we f##ked up then we did, it’s as simple as that.

This situation will force any serious minded Euro team toward the States to play Super 7’s to keep its competitive edge and away from the Euro scene because of the distinct lack of AMeriucan talent now making the trip over.
I think one of the dynamics that has influenced this has been the belief that if the promoters lost the top 8 euro teams to X-Ball then this would influence the number of teams that would be attracted to their events because it was said to me that a significant number of teams came to Millenniums purely to have a crack at the top sides.
I don’t subscribe to that idea one bit and I think it’s a cheap knee jerk, ill thought out response.
This wasn’t the only determinant, I am also aware, and for the moment, I will keep it to myself, of vested interests in keeping teams away from playing X-ball because of potential situations developing Stateside.
It may be expedient to tread water for this year and pass off X-Ball as a nations Cup affair and jump back on the team bandwagon when the situation is more suited to certain parties.
Laurent told me he thought, as did the other members of the Millennium board, that to play X-Ball as a nation based competition would be more conducive to attracting TV.
But this flies in the face of the huge rewards that are tantalisingly taking form across the pond, it just not make sense because we can’t integrate this nation based format into an international league of city based teams.
And if we then try to jump back on the team bandwagon, the amounts of money then demanded to be a franchised team could be sky high and even after paying that buy in, the teams would be sooo far behind the Yanks, it would be a frikkin joke.
We would be paying catch up for years.
In my opinion, we were offered a great opportunity by Richmond and the rest of that gang Stateside, we have now squandered it for reasons that are difficult to contemplate and the more I think about them, the more cynical I am becoming.
I'm sure we will hear about teams not being able to afford this, that and whatever but the bottom line is this, we never gave it a frikkin chance.
I need some sleep :(

Mark

UK Cougars
Jul 9, 2001
England
www.ukcougars.co.uk
Robbo, I understand what you are saying..and in turn what you are not saying ;)
However I agree with Laurent's feeling that a nations cup deal will better attract the tv coverage, all nationality based events attract some interest, Team Bad Boyz v The Next Generation is not as appealing as England v Germany. There are some "aspects" of the X-Ball that would on the surface appear to look as if the Euro's have dropped the ball but then "we" as europeans shouldn't rush to become american's. I'm not saying it is and us and them situation but why jump in when the whole concept is unproven. You yourself have said that only 3 teams had the funding to do a "full" X-Ball series, Sergei has the money to apply for the last NXL franchise so he will do that...far down the road the rewards financially may appear but until that day it is only the people who have that money who can compete in this event wether it be european based or american, the industry isn't in europe, some is but mainly it is in america so the money is gonna be spent within their borders. Finally the americans have embraced (at least for the short term) the concept of 7 man and prior to that the idea of concept fields so perhaps the europeans aren't that wrong in the way they play the game.

sjt19

May 23, 2002
Visit site
how does selection for the nations cup occur? will it be the same squad that went to pittsburgh?ie the Uk Xball team ,aka Nexus? who selects and is in charge of such a team?

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
Sam - you are getting waaaaayyy too far ahead of yourself mate, sit back and see what's finalised before you get into details.

Pete - For fear of stating the obvious, I think we (Euro's) might have dropped a b*****k on this one :(

TJ 2

Sep 9, 2001
Visit site
So

this will run alongside Milleennium as discussed previously? A team captain will pick the best of his nation's players from present teams to play one game in tha evenings, basically just like the Nations Cup b4 at Millenniums?

Cool. That'll really help you guys keep up with us Yanks. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that'll be bye-bye Millennium for Legion and Nexus then...

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Raehl forget it, u ain't posting on this thread, U ain't welcome, try one more time and U will be banned.

This whole X-Ball shebang must be confusing for everybody and last nite I couldn't work out the dynamics of why the Millennium board had gone down this Nations Cup road, I have worked it out now.
To suggest that this was done to facilitate a better pick up by TV is ludicrous at this stage of events, it was never mentioned before in all of the talks I had had with anybody, this was utter bull****, so something else was making them do it.
Well of course, they could have all suffered an immediate bout of mob stupidity but for the time being, I resisted such a thought.

Here is what I think happened, just prior to the Millennium board talking about X-Ball at their meeting on Monday and Tuesday, I had had to contact Sergei, Ronnie from the Tigers and Chris Gosling and Nick Brockdorf from the Ducklings with regard to laying out what had been proposed for the uptake of X-Ball, you can see this in that post I made entitled 'The X-Ball Saga continued......'.
This pretty much laid out what was agreed at a meeting I had with Laurent and Nial on the Sunday just gone, prior to their Millennium meeting the following day.
After having contacted the people mentioned, the bombshell I had to drop on Nial on the Monday prior to the discussing X-Ball, was that Russian Legion were now not prepared to play X-Ball and were going to contact Richmond to look for a place in the US franchise scheme, failing that, the Russians would be heading for the Super 7's and ignoring the Millennium entirely.
They felt the whole thing was being done so badly and now with no Yanks teams coming over, this was not the environment the Russians wanted to be in.

I told Nial, that we (Nexus) were also not prepared to play X-Ball if they allowed the Russians to leave, it was bad enough not having any Americans playing because we had scaled down so much, and now for the Russians to leave, well, that was it as far as I was concerned.
When myself and the guys from Nexus got together we seriously wanted, and still do, to be one of the best teams in the world, how the hell could we achieve this if all the top teams were being taken out of the competition ?
At this stage, basically, X-Ball was dead in the water with nowhere near enough teams to make it workable.
I know the Ducklings would have pulled at this point and the Tigers would have had no choice.
All the other team's decisions were academic by then.
So the X-Ball house was now crashing down.
Instead of coming up with a formula for the X-ball to work, which I still believe we could have done, and to save an enormous egg being plopped on their face, the decision was made to rescue the format by opening it up to Nations and not having any team start up monies required.
What's the point ?
Well, u can always fill the spots for teams in this instance, and the promoters now rescue their potential interests in X-ball thereby keeping Richmond slightly happier than if they had allowed to let the 'team' based initial proposal to die a death.
They also, more importantly for them, forestalled all the waiting criticism that would have undoubtedly been hurled at them had they let X-Ball slide into oblivion.

This is what I believe happened, you guys out there can make your own minds up as to apportion blame if there is any.
For my own part, and from what I know of all parties involved, which includes promoters, industry figures and teams, this could have worked if a bit more work had been put in by us guys over here.
We never gave it a chance, we did not commit to X-Ball in any serious way and now we will pay the price.
The irony is that the infrastructure is now going to be set up for a Nation’s cup that is worthless in a world paintball sense and if just a little more effort had been applied to the situation beforehand, we could have had it all.
When this first started out, the teams being considered were all going to be asked to put in substantial start up monies which at that time was not being mirrored by the promoters.
The responsibilty for this debacle is in my opinion has to fall squarely upon the shoulders of people who were not willing to invest once it became clear the teams could not pay for all of it.
Jeeeez !!!!!
Robbo :(:(

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by sjt19
how does selection for the nations cup occur? will it be the same squad that went to pittsburgh?ie the Uk Xball team ,aka Nexus? who selects and is in charge of such a team?
We will have no part of it thankyou !!

JUNIOR BROWN

never ending grind
Oct 31, 2002
California
Visit site
Its all a big mistake.:(
i just wish us euros had a man like Richmond who has the money and the balls to make it happen.
I would prefer to play stateside now it has gone tits up in euro land.

Ju

Burb

#1 Soi Cowboy.
Nov 27, 2001
Middleweight
Man all this sucks - looking at it from a media view as well as a players.
We loose all the big American teams from the millenniums, we now loose the Russians and no doubt more to follow. So in Euroland we have taken a HUGE step back in pushing the sport forward.

The Pro division in the Milleniums is going to consist of who???

Its as if the Am rankings can move to pro due to default.

:mad:

relish

Nov 16, 2002
Visit site
Robbo, I guess my biggest question would be, seeing as Nexus has some financial capabilities, why don't you guys just try and head over to the states in the same fashion that Sergei and the Legion are? Sure it would've been great for X-Ball to flourish in Europe in 2003, but it appears that Europe isn't ready to take on such a financial burden. The US is able to do so, and the best way to get Europe into the world paintball scene would be to field England's #1 premeir team: Nexus, against, say, Chicago Aftershock and the likes. If X-Ball does manage to break the all-important TV barrier, and Americans watch a European team beat up on the Yanks, maybe THEN there would be enough interest for the same to eventually follow in Europe, albeit with a lot of catching up, but we can't forget how young this sport is and how growing pains will have to take place no matter what.

Brendon
------------
Team Release Canada