Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Tippmann 98 Custom or Tippmann Tango One?

g8rrard

Jul 25, 2010
I'm new to the paintballing scene and im wondering which gun to get? Tippmann 98 Custom or Tippmann Tango One... any advice on which to get?

DJForbes

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2009
petitions.number10.gov.uk
depends what your future plans are m8.
if you plan to play just woodsball either of those guns are fine.
a basic tipman gives you loads of option on upgrades. buying the tango one gives you and already upgraded gun.

however if you wish to play tourney ball and woodsball you would need something completly different.

Bambulus

Wreckballer - PMGWC#2
Nov 13, 2008
that special place.
www.leekspin.com
Tippmann 98s are pretty much the workhorse guns of every site. It may not be worth buying one if your regular site uses them and keeps them in decent nick, as you'll just be turning up with a slightly newer marker that's no difference in performance to what every rental player has.

If you're playing woodsball and think you're into the milsim and woodland style then I'd definitely recommend an A5 or x7 over a 98. Maybe a SP1 if you can get one.
:)

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
Don't get an SP1 - you can't get parts as the guns are no longer made. Always buy a gun you can get parts/accessories for easily.

If the choice is just the Tango or the P98, the only difference is the look, and the ACT. The Tango does not have the ACT, but you can choose the front grip. You are stuck with the stock front grip on the P98, which is uncool.

Personally, if I had to choose and couldn't get an A5 instead, I would choose the Tango. Then I would put a Cyclone feed on it with low-profile hopper, and a folding CQB grip, plus a folding/car stock. Then I would put an e-grip on it, and a Lapco Bigshot Assault barrel. I would of course have spent more on it by now than if I had bought an A5 with egrip......

Bambulus

Wreckballer - PMGWC#2
Nov 13, 2008
that special place.
www.leekspin.com
Don't get an SP1 - y0ou can't get parts as the guns are no longer made. Always buy a gun you can get parts/accessories for easily.
Fair enough.

Ninja edit: Missy, what you're opinion on the Sierra One/Project Salvo?
I'm lead to believe it's a 98 in full scenario style, which also includes a folding AR stock and plenty of rails for whatever you want. May be worth a shufty if you're into that.

Vole

Sep 4, 2010
Is Tippmann the best make of gun to start with?
Tippmann is a reliable gun, easy to service and clean. I bought an A5 about 3 years ago, with e grip, X7 hopper, expansion chamber and it still works fine. I played a lot with it, and never had a problem.
Just upgraded the cyclone feed and the internal parts, to make it faster, and I bought 2 different size of barrels for it and I think its done. I will try to use it as much as I can, and I think it will last forever with the new aluminium parts ( replaced all the original plastic parts ).

I highly recommend an A5 for you with e grip, and you can upgrade any parts separately later when you have a bit money for it.

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
Fair enough.

Ninja edit: Missy, what you're opinion on the Sierra One/Project Salvo?
I'm lead to believe it's a 98 in full scenario style, which also includes a folding AR stock and plenty of rails for whatever you want. May be worth a shufty if you're into that.
I like it. M98 internals in an M4 style body, with plenty of weavers. You can fit a cyclone feed and an e-grip, making it a tidy little shooter. You're still shooting a blow-back semi, so it's not top-notch performance, but with the feed-system and e-grip it's a great gun for someone playing the odd big game, or looking to get into the game with something superior to the average site-gun. The greatest advantage of the Sierra or Bravo is that if you're playing at a field that uses M98's, they probably have the parts you would need to fix the gun if it went down. Nice folding car stock too.

Bandwagon

Goldfish69 Photography
You know, part of the charm behind the Tippmann name is the fact that at some point pretty much everyone has owned or used one. All the advice / info you've seen so far is spot on. I'd like to add one thing perhaps and that is like the duracell bunnies they just keep going... and going... and going... no matter what you throw at them or throw them at.

It's 'my' opinion that by looking at an electric trigger option, you may severely limit one of it's best features. Every walk-on we ever play in the wet we get electronic marker casualties - the rain can simply fry boards. Thats when everyone reaches for the trusty mechanical marker, most being a Tippmann of some description. I would simply urge you to look at the response trigger option instead of an electronic trigger.

Of course the response option has it's own pitfalls, in that the marker is already a bit of a gas hog and the response will simply add to that, but as long as you are able to fill your bottle regularly, you'll never suffer from the embarrassment of a dead battery, forgetting your spare batteries or soaking your board in a nice big puddle !

Of course you could simply not play in the wet ... ever, but then wheres the fun in that ?