Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Tournament Player vs Rec Player Challenge

Lane

Jul 14, 2001
Georgia, USA
Visit site
It sounds like a great idea to me.

My only stipulation would be that I have to be allowed to play, and there could be no cameras, no reporters, and no refs on my teams side of the field.

:p ;)

I know some one will give me hell for this.

Problem

Oct 5, 2001
Visit site
Apples and Oranges

We just came from a scenrio game in which I had team mates from both of my tournament teams show up looking forward to low pressure high fun paintball. Totally different attitudes and approaches when you compare tournamet to rec/scenario. Where the first concentrates on competition, rankings by points, speed and narrow point spreads, the second focuses on missions, usually two large teams, thought and huge (and less important) point spreads.

I've always thought the all-around great paintball player should be able to do both - do well in a tournament series and lead a scenrio team to victory. Now that'd be a real player.

Just my two cents.
Larry

Problem

Oct 5, 2001
Visit site
Manning, You are Evil

I would never ask a new friend to wade through that amount of drivel. I checked the thread out, realized I had accidentally stumbled into a convention of mob thinking, and even posted before I realized I might get sucked into the mediocrity of moronity.

What did you think of my thoughts about the best player as the all around one: do well in a tournament series, lead a victory in a scenario, maybe test new equipment scientifically, develop a system for practicing, write articles. I'm intentionally leaving out big games because the individuality just isn't possible. Might be wrong.

Just my two cents,
Larry

Manning26

Problem, I guess everyone has their own criteria for being the best. If we were to look at all of the different views, we'd end up with different names for each one. The player who can beat anyone one on one, may not be the best team player. The guy who can lead a couple hundred paintballers to victory in a scenario might have poor playing fundamentals (seemingly a paintball magnet). I'm guessing you're American Larry (no offense if you're not), so I'll compare it to the NFL. They used to say Thurman Thomas was the best all-around running back in the league, because he always lead in receiving and rushing yards, whereas Barry Sanders was considered the best, "pure rushing," running back. I'm unsure how appropriate that was, but perhaps you see my point.
And I do agree that it would take a hell of a person to do all you said, but I'm not sure if he/she would be considered the best. Take care Problem, and sorry I steered you into the pit of a thread, "World's Best.":D

Problem

Oct 5, 2001
Visit site
Manning, good food for thought

Very good points. But I thought of one extension of your comments, and those are the dual- or treble-sport athletes at the highest level (ex. an Olympic decathalete, or a professional athlete who can play at the highest level in two sports). I would hazard a comment that we hold those individuals (everything else being equal) in higher regard that one person who does well in one sport.

If we scale that thought down, then the paintball player who may not be the master of all but is among the upper rare and few in all the various forms of our (unusually) diverse sport might be among our best.

You'll have the Tiger Woods of paintball tournament play (whoever you think is the best speedballer) who is the best, but I would suggest you should also have the Bo Jackson who does very well in several sports who may not be the best but will be very rare and very exalted.

Might be off base but your comments gave me the idea. No worries about steering me wrong, I'm enjoying everything I stumble across here.
Cheers.
Larry

Manning26

I can definitely see that, Problem. This is much like asking someone who the best football player is, and then telling them they can choose from the NFL and the CFL. Many different positions to choose from, and similar but different rules that all of these players go by. Hmm...not sure if that's what I wanted. Well, similar to that scenario there. I would say the NFL would represent tourney players, and CFL, rec. From that,you'd have to see who does the most for their respective team. See Buddy, it looked good in my head, it's now deteriorating on my screen. You're an intelligent fella' Larry, I'm sure you've picked up my trail, sorry, I could've left some more bread crumbs. I should, perhaps, get back to work and leave you good people alone. Take care all.:D

Problem

Oct 5, 2001
Visit site
Another gold nugget

Yah but you left another very forward thought in the gold nuggets ... the BEST paintball player is not the one who bunkers all / gets most points / blows games open / shoots out far back players with a single paintball fired down a barrel with his or her own lung power.

The BEST paintball player is he / she who does the most on the field for their team, and can do it in any form of the sport. No front player flash in pans (who get shot out a lot in my experience), no back players who make their move so late that there's no one left to shoot them -- only solid players who set up plays for team mates, sacrifice themselves to push one side, and do so consistently.

Does that not encompass every field position, every form of adversity and adaptibility?

Hell, this could change MY whole outlook on the game.
You lead, I follow, are we there with our definition or did I miss?
Larry

Manning26

I'd say we're pretty dang close, Buddy. In any sport they decide the MVP by trying to see who has done the most for their respective team. Logically, it should carry over to our sport. Man, why did it take so friggin' long to come to this? You should've signed up earlier, my friend, you could've stopped the,"World's Best," debacle.:)