Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Whats wrong with a shocker

Jul 27, 2001
Slutton Surrey
Visit site
Lately their has been quite a few threads about people buying new markers and it always comes down to should i buy a
IMPULSE:rolleyes:
COCKER:mad:
ANGEL:confused:

Well answer this what is wrong with a BLOODY shocker:mad:

I recently i bought a hyper sports frame for my shocker to replace the standard shocker trigger plus ive got a older turbo board with a dome switch and it is now just as fast maybe faster then the above mentioned markers plus u dont need some magic bloody eye just so u dont chop paint plus even on co2 it is almost as consistant as using air without buying a 250 quid plus air system just to get it to work.

Other then a shocker being slightly heavier then most electros and being a gas hog (if u shoot more then 500 balls a game what the fu*k are u doing with it all plus u must be a very rich person)
Whats wrong with it:confused:

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
Nothing wrong at all...

As you know I'm a huge fan of Shockers, but they are a very user specific gun. They get the least advertising of any gun out there, very few teams use them solely, and they have a number of things that just make them not as suitable for certain people. For one, it is a back player's gun almost exclusively. It is heavy and large, making it disadvantageous for those who have to run fast and have to tuck into small bunkers. It appeals to back players because of its stability, quietness, and long range accuracy.

(Yeah, yeah, some people are going to say at this point that all guns are as accurate as another -- bulls***. I challenge you to actually PROVE ON THE FIELD, NOT ON PAPER that any gun actually tops the Shocker for accuracy, particularly at long range. You can't. You can just maybe equal it with a well done Cocker or perhaps an Impulse, but the rest can forget it. Stand up dinner plates next to back bunkers on a field, go to the opposite start station, and shoot at them. Even with the same barrel and the same paint, which should set things equal, targets can be hit with a Shocker that can't be hit with an Angel, Bushy, Mag, etc. at the same distance. Paint will drop to the ground or swerve when shot by other guns that will fly straight and hit when shot from a Shocker. Think I'm wrong? Try it.)

Carrying a 114/4500 tank is no issue to a back who needs to feed the Shocker's gas appetite, nor is using a 14-16" barrel to squeak in some more shots per tank and balance the weight of the gun. Doing both those isn't a realistic option for a competitive front player. The necessary chore of greasing a Shocker's parts is unpleasant to some as well. For me, I'd rather grease and check every part as with a Shocker as a means of inspection. Keep it clean and greased and a Shocker will not have problems.

Pricewise, the Shocker is a great bargain, but therein lies a reason for its unpopularity. It isn't a $100 Spyder or M98 that can be cheaply bought by just any beginner and not thought twice about. It is a step up past the starter gun and can be taken to competition and win, at which point there is a cutoff where players make up their minds as to keep to rec or continue on to tourney. Sadly at that point, there is the tournament gun mentality that kills off the Shocker, Bushy, GenX Cocker, and other bang for your buck bargains rather mercilessly: the Shocker isn't a sexy $1500+ Angel, which though are serious competition guns are often bought more for illustrative purposes ("Hey I must be good cause I spent the money for this thing.") than actual performance. The price tag of the Angel is itself the incentive to buy it--pure snob appeal. So neither the budget player nor the player who wants everything gold plated are satisfied by a Shocker--- this eliminates the two major target demographics for paintball marketing.

• Shockers are way too big, at least for playing up front.
  • Co2 is not as convenient as air, and most people have an air system on their old gun (eg i had an old mag on air, when i got my LCD i already had an air system)
  • a lot of the standard parts (trigger, barrel) need to be replaced straight away
  • A turbo board may be fast but it isnt allowed in tourneys.
  • People who own shockers are generally wierd and know way too much about their marker.
Im not saying a shocker is a bad gun, you wanted to know what is wrong with them and thats waht i think makes them a less desirable gun than say, a cocker or an angel for some people.

Gogger

Crispy Fried
Jul 7, 2001
North Wales
Visit site
Dinner plates??????

Our team had all Shockers when we first started out. Now just 2 have them as their main marker, and there are 9 players on the team. Those 2 players still have them because they are great markers but the players that have changed, have done so because they were cack markers. There-in lies the problem, nine markers straight out of the box and the performance va-ries dramatically, on accuracy, range and reliability (Adam). Mine sucked! but I must say that the two we are left with are damn fine markers. To be fair, they were all stock, I have used an Eclipsed Shocker and that was in a class of it's own.
This may explain why some players hate a marker that others really like.
I now play with an Eclipsed Bushy (that I wouldn't swap for anything else on the market, those people at Planet are Gods). Forget the dinner plates test I'l do it with fifty pence pieces!
Gogger
Psycho-Pimps

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
> Co2 is not as convenient as air, and most people have an air system on their old gun (eg i had an old mag on air, when i got my LCD i already had an air system)

Um, who said you don't run Shockers on air? I did, and most people do for that matter. Yeah yeah, the whole co2 thing with Shockers does have a history, and it's effective all things considered if you don't mind not having a gauge and having to clean three times more crud off your orings when you clean it. In case you didn't notice, even SP is shipping them with 88/4500 or 114/3000 tanks on them, pretty much dissolving the arranged marriage between Shockers and co2 except at the occasional renegade ball field.

> a lot of the standard parts (trigger, barrel) need to be replaced straight away

Maxflow, never. Barrel, yes, unless you can live with 16" AA's and their nasty gas appetite, though many people use that very barrel by choice on guns that didn't come stock with one. Trigger, why? (Aside from the Eclipse blade, that is.)

> A turbo board may be fast but it isnt allowed in tourneys.

Irrelevant. Who says a Shocker has to have a turbo board? Don't assume everyone is stupid enough to spend money for something they can't use anyway. Other electros have burst, auto response, and other shot multipliers -- Shockers just happened to be the first. Why doesn't it ever come up with other guns? Beats me.

> People who own shockers are generally wierd and know way too much about their marker.

Anyone that buys a marker and doesn't know it inside out and be able to fix any possible problems on the spot is a COMPLETE MORON. The fact that Shocker owners know their marker inside and out is due to the fact that they're smart and for cleaning it, which is routine, they have to. Weird? Nah, just comes from the satisfaction of being able to hit you when you can't hear or hit them. :D

helooooooooo
mr onion if you read the first post (which i was replying to) then you will understand why i mentioned, CO2, turbo board etc

and the bit about shocker owners being wierd was a joke, although if you look at the evidence.....

i never said replace the max flow so im not sure why u mentioned that and i did mean get a blade, the stock trigger goes as much left and right as it does forwards and backwards.

and i do know how to fix my marker, its easy
"err excuse me mr angel tech, can you fix my gun"
see its easy!

so before you go flaming people, make sure you read the whole thread.

cheers