Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Why do Ballers appear to be 'tight' ?

biturbo.s4

Jul 4, 2012
Northampton.
One thing Ive noticed after coming over from years of Car based forums is that the classifieds seem to be populated by penny pinching people here?

Example:

A : Barrel sock - £5+post.

B : Hey dude will you accept £4 posted, no fees?

A: Ill do it for £5 posted, but paypal owed or gift..

B: How about £4.50 posted and ill get the fees?

ETC ETC...

Doesn't bother me all that much, but some of the banter that goes back and forth on the classifieds is just pure comedy!
I mean whats £5 when your buying a £300 marker thats second hand anyway?

DISCUSS!

Jim Jam

Dusty's #1 Fan!
Jan 4, 2012
Horsham, West Sussex
Possibly because a lot of the bidders are still at school and not earning a wage
Or they are School leavers (like myself) and have a job with minimum wage (£3.68/hour).
£5 is 1/6 of my wage (out of a days work) so if i can haggle £5 off i will try.
Also even a small amount of money can make a difference, for example:
'I have £4.50 in my PayPal so couldn't afford £5 for a barrel sock so that's what i would offer.'
As TheBeast said it's expensive and any little you can scrimp and save is better than nothing, think if you save at least 50p from each deal and you do a 100 deals in that year, you save £50 now 50p on it's own looks a very small amount but when you total it up it becomes a lot bigger.

Reactions: willstrange

Jim Jam

Dusty's #1 Fan!
Jan 4, 2012
Horsham, West Sussex
Or kids today think they deserve more ! And if your worrying about 50p in this sport you wont be around in three years.
Not sure if you would class me as a 'kid' i suppose you would, and in my opinion i don't think i 'deserve' more, i would like more no doubt but i can't afford more.
I don't go offering lower because I 'deserve' it, If i do it's because i'm trying to reduce the price to either a affordable level or what i feel it's worth or just plainly trying to save more.
50p as i say doesn't look like much but it's better than saving nothing. I don't worry about 50p or £1, £2 etc. If i want something i'll Offer asking price if not then i'll haggle for less (saving money).
I probably won't be playing in Three years time as i'm hoping to be in the forces instead.

Reactions: Hazza

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
Learned behaviour, virtually nothing on this forum sells at the asking price, been like that the last three years or so. I suspect most sellers nowadays actually ask for more than they want because they know they'll be offered less. There are very few sellers who are firm on their prices and getting a small percentage off helps the buyer justify the purchase to themselves.

Reactions: H

phil-boy

UK Redskins
May 6, 2004
Essex, UK
www.uk-redskins.com
I just think that everyone likes a "deal" !!!

Most of the time if you see something and you want it, lets say its £20.00 and you decide thats a good deal, you are normally prepared to pay it, if you then offer £17 say, and then the seller says no lets meet at say £18.50, then you feel that you have had a better deal and thus saved £1.50 even though you were prepared to pay the £20.00.
OR
If the seller plays hard ball and says £20.00 final - because of the reverse physcology, you have already bought it and are using it, and then decide that you will just pay the £20.00.

Its the same a little for ebay !!