Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

WI paintball ban : UPDATE (From 01-02-02 hearing)

Tyger

Old School, New Tricks
I'll make this fast, becasue I'm really tired.

By a unanimous vote (11-0), proposed ammendment NR 45.04(3)(q) ((Paint balls. No person may use paint balls, paint ball guns or any other type of paint ball equipment on (Wisconsin DNR) department lands.)) was officially removed from the bill in question. There were 11+ other items in the bill, and those will now be up for consideration. The paintball ammendment will now be sent back to the DNR for review, and ammendment, before it returns to comittee for consideration.

Translation : We stopped it.

The quick version of what happened. The hearing started at 1 PM and opened with the possibility of elk hunting on DNR land up north. 2.5 HOURS LATER, they decided to stop talking about elk, bear, and all sorts of other hunting.

The DNR guy said his reasons to ban paintball, and it was PAINFULLY OBVIOUS that the DNR had done little, if any, research into paintball, how it's played, where it's played, and what it's all about. It was also painfully obvious that the DNR rep was ill prepared. The DNR seemed to not have done their homework into paintball. For example, they were convinced that paintball players used oil based paint exclusively, wore body armor to play, and wore "Goggles or helmets". It was actually refreshing to hear legislators and state senators actually in favor of paintball as an activity, even though none of them played the game.

Oh, and when asked directly "Have there been any complaints or problems of paintball use of public land" the DNR rep said "No." It was then asked why laws were being made when there really was no problem to fix. I think it was Dave who said what I think we were all thinking. "How could the DNR propose something like this without even doing basic research?"

More later, but suffice to say we won this battle. If it needs to go to round two, anyone wanna come up to Madison to have a 'chat' with the DNR? I've already had my say, and I've offered my services to help the DNR make a workable set of rules. I had forgotten how much I loathe public speaking...

-Tyger

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
I take my hat off to you Tyger!

It's good to see that some people are willing to be more than just part of a community. I'm glad to notice that you are the sort of person who will not just be shocked by such idiotic proposals, and just sit around waiting for someone to 'make the problem go away'. You were willing to take up the gauntlet, and do the right thing.
Big up to Tyger!

Congratulations, you have just moved up another step on my patented Big-cheese-o-meter. :D

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
I have but one question: WHY hasn't that simple, factual based defense worked elsewhere when and where it was needed?! Other anti-paintballing people are just as ignorant if not moreso about paintball than the DNR guy, but they meet NO such resistance, only appeasement and complacency.

My congratulations to your state Tyger for using their heads instead of their fears to decide what to do, but at the same time I must say to the rest of the world WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU ALL THAT YOU CAN'T DO THE SAME?!?!?

Tyger

Old School, New Tricks
I can't take all the credit here.

...but I'll give kudos to who it's due.

Jessica Sparks showed up with a bag of props, and showed paint, goggles, barrel plugs, a chronograph, and a jersey to show what the sport is played in.

Dan Reeves, APG editor, had a few words about the state of paintball, he was cool.

We had field owners there. Mike and Dianne from Stalker, Nikki from Paintball Sam's, and Dave from Paintball Dave's. Dave was actually the most fun to hear, becasue his field was in the district of one of the committee members.

Dennis Ashley from Centerflag showed up to speak on tournament play, and about use of lands.

Chris Raehl (National Collegiate Paintball Association), Ben Kohnen, and myself were the player representatives from Wisconsin. It was actually great to be heard, but I'd forgotten how much I loathe public speaking in a political sense.

Nelson paintball sent down three speakers, a chemist (From Wisconsin originally and buisness people to talk about the industry. They blew the board away with just the numbers paintball generates in cashflow.

The biggest reason Nelson was there was to explain the diffrence between paintballer paint, cattle paintballs, and forestry use paintballs. And the fact that oil paint for forestry use is 15 cents (US) a ball, but paintballer paint is 6 cents a ball.

Jessica brought up players from Missouri, but I don't recall their names offhand. I'll find that out and tell you all.

This was hardly a fair fight. we had them outnumbered, and out informed. Jessica and Nelson gave a presentation that killed the proposal in the ehyes of hte reps there. The fact that the players, the fields, and the industry came together to say "no" were just nails in the coffin.

The fact that the reps were saying things like "Do hunters have to put up signs to warn hikers, butterfly catchers, and so on saying 'warning : thre are hunters here'?" They didn't seem to mind the use of paintball on public lands, they just dind't have all the information on paintball games. They kinda assumed paintball stopped developing around, oh, 1985, and we still shot oils.

Actually, the DNR tried to convince the board that paintballers shot fully automatic "rifles" if "They paid enough for the gear." The DNR rep was NOT a comfortable person on Wednesday. :)

If you want a longer post, it'll take me some time to put together. I'm jsut doing a half-assed reporting job right now. :)

-Tyger