The Home Of European Paintball

X-Ball Forced or Not

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by LV 4 26
After an MSN conversation with SJT19 do you think that eventually, we will all be forced by the powers that be to play X-ball and any consequences.

Millsy

Has this been covered before?
I'm surprised Sam thinks this way after just getting back from Huntington Beach...nobody can force anybody to do anything in Paintball if they don't wanna, as long as there are other options, we are pretty much free to choose our own destiny.

Anybody who was at Huntington Beach last week could well be forgiven for thinking that was the future of Paintball..right there !!!

LV 4 26

Millsy- Back Baby
Huntington

I was in your corner there mate. Predicted your 9th place spot on the sat to go through. Dont you think though that the revenue that can be generated and with the prospect of tv rights fee's that the event organisors could hope for that x-ball will be the way that the powers that be would like the game to go. Or do you see the 7-man format of one chance still the way it will be, using Huntington as an example.

LV 4 26

Millsy- Back Baby
Addition

Sam said that he had a great time at the beach. We were having a general conversation on the game as a whole. Everyone is gearing up for the EXL and expectations are high and we were both wondering if the way that the brit squads are bolstering, if this is going to be forced or not in the end. It is going to cost teams a small fortune in paint etc and once these Div1 teams have done it once are they going to be prepared to stick their hands in their pockets when the sponsors arent able to help. Not so sure that they will.:(

H

Wizard, of sorts...
Feb 27, 2002
Nottingham, England
www.ministryofcake.net
Just wondering on the concept of cost through paint bills...

At the average Millennium even you play about 10 regular games, plus semis etc. How many full XBall matches are teams expecting to play in the EXL? I know that XBall is a lot more shooting heavy but if teams are only going to be playing a couple of matches per event (like the NXL i think)...would the paint usage be that much higher?

Of course this is not taking into account the extra costs incurred in shooting heavy hard practice.

Ultimately i feel that the oft mentioned point that whichever format the TV companies favour will be the one gradually adopted. And if teams want to compete at the top level then it will end up becoming the only viable option. For me, my hat is in the XBall camp....because from a spectator/TV standpoint, it is infinitely better than 7-man.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Even if Xball ultimately works as hoped there isn't any particular reason somebody won't run national and international pay for play events in whatever format makes economic sense.

The pressure that exists today to organize and regulate pball exists because of the transitional, unsettled state of the game.

And plainly the Mil is wortking both sides of the aisle at present. a fair question is where is the limit to traditional tourney growth and how will that impact development of an alternative to Xball?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I think we need to appreciate something here, the 7 man format, as is played now, is not inviolate, it is just as open to evolutionary forces as was the promotional side of things.
If tweaks need to be made to bolster any forward promotional momentum, then they will be done, make no mistake about that.

It certainly looks as though the Pure Promotion's guys have the skill and expertise on the ground floor when it comes to putting on a show and presenting Paintball as an 'extreme' type sport conducive to the young and TV.
In this sense, the format is somewhat secondary to proceedings; I'm not saying it is incidental, merely not as important from the point of view of selling the sport mainstream.

I find myself changing my mind one way then the other when considering either format but I tell you this much, I tend to agree with Harry (TheBroz) here and think that just because one format might get to mainstream TV first, this does not automatically sound the death knell for the other.
This suggests quite a protracted fight.
The take up curve of the American public in its initial televising phase would I think be so shallow as to allow the opposition to come in at any time and steal the lead if presented correctly.
In that sense, it may well be the first to air might well be the disadvantaged.
But 7 Man has already been aired, many times on Fox already, it just needs to negotiate a serious TV deal to break into the big time.
Either way, I think it's imminent...interesting and expensive times are ahead, especially for the teams because we have to try and position ourselves in both camps.
To play EXL and to play enough NPPL ranking tourneys so as to be ranked at the end of this year in the top 17 (pros).
If any team is outside of that 17, then they are out of the potential big time as I understand it and therefore precluded from any of the major deals any prospective agreement there is done between Pure Promotions and the TV company.
Playing 4 EXL's, 5 NPPL's and maybe the Orlando finals if you qualify is gonna stretch any team to the limit.
Time off from work and financial resources are gonna start to bite big time and only those teams best placed financially are gonna be able to cope.
On top of that, teams are gonna have to train regularly if they want to mount any serious challenge for the Xball Orlando event and NPPL qualification for 2005.

Money certainly does make the world go round, it remains to be seen which teams have got enough before they fall by the wayside.

martin

am member
Dec 12, 2001
Visit site
forced x'ball?

I think the X'BALL leagues will swell other the next few seasons.
As for paint and cost i would hope most div 1 teams have the cost's all squared away (at least we have thanks guys).
So the teams that have stepped up today are gambling on it's success to gain a one or two season advantage.
I can not wait