Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Bad Reffing ?

guppy

Banned
Apr 3, 2002
Maidstone, Kent
Visit site
OK advice time guys...and be gentle on me!
Woodland scenario last Sun. Rental customers, surrender rule applies within 6-feet range. 15-a-side, 2 refs (one me!)
I was right next to a situation where player A rushes up to a tree with 3 of the opposition behind it. Realising they are there he points his marker (about 1 foot away) at one of them and shouts 'surrender'. Straight afterwards one of the other 3 players shouts 'surrender' back at player A. My decision was to eliminate the first player he shouted surrender at and also player A himself as he had been called to surrender also. (With me so far)?
Player A then argues (and with hindsight i'm questioning my call on this..)that all 3 of the opposing team behind the tree should have surrendered when he pointed his marker at one of them as he said that he could've hit all 3 of them. I stuck by my decision partly because there was 30 seconds to go and the 'bomb' was close to the base and i needed to watch the game, not get involved in an arguement. But did i make the right call or should i have put all 3 out and left player A in?

ciaran.mooney

Ich bin ein Berliner!
Think thats just one of those terrible situations that only happen once in a while. By the sounds of it you made a good decision. I would have taken out whichever of the 3 players that was closest to Player A's barrel and taken player A out, because he wouldn't have been able to eliminate all three players.

Good call not to argue on field because it can just get out of control, and you loose your concentration on the rest of the players.

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
what i normally say to them is

"F**k off, it's only a f**kin game"

or

"Well, when youre a marshal, you can pull ME out of the game"

They dont really like either of them, but hell, it brings a smile to my face!!

guppy

Banned
Apr 3, 2002
Maidstone, Kent
Visit site
Cooks! Philip!

Er ..Um..you seem to know me so well! But THIS week i wasnt pre-menstrual, the car hadn't broken down and i just got a decent pay-rise, so i was in a happy mood & didn't use violence or bad language!!! So, on a more professional note, was it a bad call? Would you have put all 3 out on the first call of surrender?
:confused:

FUBAR

Yank Car Nut!
Aug 1, 2002
Milton Keynes, Bucks, UK
www.mkb.cc
My opinon

Having never Reffed a game in my life only having played quite a lot as a "rental customer" so far, I would have to agree with you & Ciaran, 3:1 is pretty long odds, even in a "3 foot away cant miss scenario" even if there is a tree in the way.
The last site I played at (www.battlefieldpaintball.co.uk Nr Luton) had this rule aswell as a No "Blind" shooting rule as they argued that you could put your barrel inside someones mask behind a barricade and let rip. (not likley)

Good call, I wouldn't have had any serious objection in being called out in that situation cos rulez is rulez.

Take the opinion of a noob? its your call

FUBAR

Jones the Paint Magnet

All the gear - no idea
Dec 19, 2001
Croydon/East Grinstead
Visit site
Call is good!

If the single player had started firing, the instinctive reaction would have been for the three "mugees" to start blatting back. At that sort of range, 3-on-1 - I'd say you did him a big favour, so quite apart from what is fair you were ensuring safe play on the site.

GoatBoy

Come to Goatboy ladies...
Sep 26, 2001
West Sussex
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't call the choice you made the wrong choice, it just differs from what I would have done. What you did resolved the situation quickly and fairly and ensured you ceould carry on marshalling the closing 30 secs of the game without being distracted.

During our morning briefs we advise punters re surrendering and say very clearly "if the person you've asked to surrender does not immediately put they're gun up and walk, you can tag them fair and square" (we do qualify this by asking that they aim for the tank or boot or pot pack etc, and resist the urge for the juicy kidney or rump shot). This means that in your situation I could have just watched as

Punter A "Surrender!"
Punter B "You Surr...ow ow wow owww"
Punter C Arrggg!!
Punter D nono ouch ow ouch!!

Punter A "yeah baby BRING IT ON!!"

Marshal Goat boy " Tee Hee"

In short - no I don't think it was a wrong call.
:)

guppy

Banned
Apr 3, 2002
Maidstone, Kent
Visit site
Cool!

Looks like i made the right choice then. Maybe we should elaborate in the 'how to play' briefing & tell the punters they have to say 'surrender' for each player. ie in this instance player A should have said 'surrender, surrender, surrender!!! Wot a mouthful! Thanks guys, i feel better now!
;)