The Home Of European Paintball

Big Game: North Vs South = Rip Off

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
conclusion !!

Originally posted by not2well
warped came away from that day with a lot of money in their pockets forget all the out lay. that i my opinion would only come a third of the takings.
Your opinion here is based on a lack of knowledge. Do you know what it costs to rent approximately 20 high range portaloos for a weekend? Do you know what the insurance costs are for an event like this? Have you included the staff costs for both all the organisation, and the preparation of the site? What about the rental fee for using the land itself - landowners rarely let people rip up their woodland for nothing even (or maybe that should be especially?) the Forestry Commission. 5 coaches hired to shuttle people to and from the camp site - I happen to know that that cost was in 4 figures. Then we look at how many days labour for clearing the site afterwards. And staff on the day. Even things like around a thousand brand new arm bands adds to the costs.

and remember the paint sellers and stalls on site would of paid them for the pitch.
Agreed on that point, but I would say that they paid less than they usually would because there was a set, low price agreed for paint.

and they should be giving us the videos for free after that s*%+ weekend..............
Warped is very unlikely to be getting anything from the video that was shot, it just doesn't work like that in paintball. If the organisers of an event are lucky they don't have to PAY the company doing the filming to come along, and all the money goes to the production company.

I don't work for Warped (though I do have many friends associated with them & their tournament teams). But I get sick & tired of people saying how people who run events like tournaments or rental days must be coining it, when they know very little about the attendant costs.

not2well

Banned
Dec 6, 2004
ward 7
Visit site
well there you go....

you would stick up for the comedians who organized the event, you know them. i also realise the cost they had to set out for loos etc. but theres alot of brown nosers sticking up for them.
they want to post a " PUBLIC APOLOGY " .

andyp1

Jan 27, 2005
Leeds
Visit site
im interested to know exactly what the insurance costs, cos from what i can tell, in signing the release form, we stated that we could not hold warped or anyone with anything to do with the event responsible under any circumstances, so what exactly the insurance covered i dont know, very little i guess

ChairChimp

It's a chimp and a chair!
Nov 5, 2002
Sheffield
not2well: You are entitled to your opinion

you would stick up for the comedians who organized the event, you know them
Ok I've said my piece on this thread, go back and read it if you must, I ain't gonna reiterate it.

However, I think this thread is a place to offer comment and opinion on the Big Game 2k5. In my book not2well has just started having a go at people offering their opinion. In the case of Liz because he is 100% completely sure that she 'knows' the guys over at warped and is therefore biased in her opinions on the matter.

She may well be, I don't care, I stand by her right, and anyone elses, to make thier opinions felt without people having a go at them.

not2well: I think your comments on the day are your own and you are welcome to them and to express them here, when it comes to calling other ballers, whoever they be, biased or not able to comment for whatever reason you decide, I wish you'd shut up.

Chimp

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Originally posted by andyp1
im interested to know exactly what the insurance costs, cos from what i can tell, in signing the release form, we stated that we could not hold warped or anyone with anything to do with the event responsible under any circumstances, so what exactly the insurance covered i dont know, very little i guess
Try reading a standard rental insurance waiver - they say almost exactly the same but they still need insurance. The waiver basically covers stuff like "I understand that running around the woods like a nutter means I might trip over or put my foot in a rabbit hole & sprain my ankle - the organisation isn't responsible for that" and "I realise that failing to listen properly to safety instructions and lifting my goggles in the middle of the playing area is dangerous". If organisers are grossly negligent and THAT causes you an injury, e.g. telling you it's OK to take your goggles off in the middle of a firefight, then the insurance will pay out. Even a small site has an annual insurance bill well into 5 figures.

Originally posted by not2well
you would stick up for the comedians who organized the event, you know them. i also realise the cost they had to set out for loos etc. but theres alot of brown nosers sticking up for them.
they want to post a " PUBLIC APOLOGY " .
Anyone who frequents these forums knows well enough that I don't behave like that. I rarely get into a dispute unless I have a general point to make, and have supported people I've never met if I agree with what they are saying. I have no reason whatsoever to "brown nose" to Warped, and don't do that to anyone in the industry whether I'm friends with them or not. Equally, I don't slag down people if I don't know the full facts.

I DO have a bit of knowledge about the costs of running an event, something I would never do myself as I know just how much hard work and hassle is involved. Before I had any involvement in running rental sites I was on here supporting site owners against people who knew nothing about the costs of running those and were proclaiming how the site owners were minting it (they don't).

Try calling up companies like the ones that rented the portaloos, the coach company, the insurers, the suppliers of arm bands etc, and getting an estimate from them. Put some more money in for stuff like the construction materials. Add up the staff costs of say 10 people for 2 weeks before and 4 days after (no idea about the real numbers, but these seem reasonable to me for the work done) and the 50 or so working on the day - on the basis of £50 a day that's staff costs of well over £10k alone, ignoring the work that was done before they had to move venue. See what kind of figure the Forestry Commission quote you for closing off & ripping up a large area of public access land for days on end (BTW, they would have insisted on various kinds of insurance being in place as well). Put some more on top for incidental items like the telephone bills, time for people doing the admin beforehand, postage, petrol for running about............

I've spent enough time trying to educate people who spout on about things they know very little about, then make dismissive and mildly insulting comments about people who try to inform them of real facts. If Warped had cancelled the game then you would all have expected refunds of the full amount despite the work they had already carried out AND you'd all be whining about it. They did their best in very trying circumstances and all you are concerned with is trying to get a freebie out of them because it didn't live up to your personal expectations.

:rolleyes:

andyp1

Jan 27, 2005
Leeds
Visit site
Originally posted by Liz
Try reading a standard rental insurance waiver - they say almost exactly the same but they still need insurance. The waiver basically covers stuff like "I understand that running around the woods like a nutter means I might trip over or put my foot in a rabbit hole & sprain my ankle - the organisation isn't responsible for that" and "I realise that failing to listen properly to safety instructions and lifting my goggles in the middle of the playing area is dangerous". If organisers are grossly negligent and THAT causes you an injury, e.g. telling you it's OK to take your goggles off in the middle of a firefight, then the insurance will pay out. Even a small site has an annual insurance bill well into 5 figures.

yeh, i appreciate that, but the warped RELEASE form suggested that they or their third parties were not responsible for anything, no mate how it was caused

not2well

Banned
Dec 6, 2004
ward 7
Visit site
chair chimp

i think you have just contradicted your self, youre right im free to voice my opinion. but by saying im wrong by retaliating to people making comments about my opinion, well you are making objections to my opinion. i believe they call that been a hypocrite.

ChairChimp

It's a chimp and a chair!
Nov 5, 2002
Sheffield
Interesting response, however,

You weren't commenting on the thread, by your own admission you were 'retaliating' to something somebody had said. In this instance to something you thought was negative towards yourself. I can see that both your initial comments about warped walking away with X amount of money in their pocket and Liz's reply about knowledge of various costs could be taken as a personal attack. Hell include my reply to your post as well if you like. But I can also see that both could be taken as fair comment on the thread in question. When I read your post I took it as being far too negative not on the event in question (which you are entitled to say) but on a specific person. that just smacks of petty name calling to me.

I don't know you, I can't say if you are an idiot or if you speak the truth that has been hidden from my eyes. But I am willing to let people say what they think and listen to them without slaggin them off. Even if they hold a view that is contradictory to my own.

Try it, you might like it.

Though we do get off-topic now. Feel free to reply on the forums or PM me if you wish to continue yakking about this m8.

Peace

Chimp

Mstace

May 5, 2005
Newton Abbot, Devon
Visit site
dont want to get involved, just to say that i read the waiver, and to be honest all others ive ever really signed, to say that if we put the guns up our noses and pull the tirggers its our fault. Or something along those lines..