Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Breaking News ???

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Who thunk up the UPBF?

Wassup, kidz. Yo, check this out--

Name me any bureaucratic entity that operates cost free. What, you can't? Well then this one is gonna cost money to operate too, ain't it? Who is gonna pony up? The member series or confederations or whatever, right? And where do they get their money from? That, boys and girls, would be you. So when I ask what it's gonna cost Joe Average Baller, I am, despite your apparent amusement, asking what's in it for you.

Maybe those of you who are totally uncritical and ready to accept this with open arms as a near utopian enterprise can explain what specifically it will do for you.

Take a closer look at the distribution of representation. The US and Europe will hold 12 of the 19 Exec. Committee positions. How does someone end up on this committee? Look at examples given for participating leagues, etc. Does anyone see the NPPL there? If someone were to suggest the Exec. Committee is likely to be top heavy in PSP and MS reps who would then effectively control the UPBF how would you refute that suggestion? And if such a situation were to develop would it be unreasonable to think that at least part of the purpose of the UPBF suddenly appearing out of whole cloth was to "win" the current conflict and gain control of competitive Pball?

Which reminds me--membership--yours simply for competing in a member league. Good everywhere. Pretty exciting stuff, no doubt. But tell me who membership empowers. (And if you think it's you, try again.)

I realize having somebody lead you around appeals for whatever reason but just because somebody steps forward doesn't mean they ought to have the job. In fact, it frequently means they shouldn't.

Pete--here I thought I might get you off on a good rant and instead I receive a compliment. At least I think it was but you were responding to Skeet. :D

B3--not a big fan of English eats.

Skeet--let's see. Mike Meyers, ex-pat Canadian making American movies stereotyping who? Yeah, he's secretly making fun of ... Americans. Way to enjoy seeing the tree and missing the forest. The mockery may have been gentle but mockery nonetheless. I mean, c'mon, look at his teeth.

(Keely is also posting about this on other sites.)

Mario

Pigeon amongst the cats
Sep 25, 2002
Location, Location.
this fledgling nation...etc, etc,....under one flag...etc etc, by the promoters, for the promoters ;)

id like to see it work, really i would, but will it?

Nick Brockdorff

Jul 9, 2001
www.uglyducklings.dk
I'm wondering who has been set up as president of the UPBF and as heads of the confederations?

Surely the organisation is in place at top level already - otherwise - who is doing the work? ;)

How are the Confederations supposed to organise themselves?
Elections when (to all positions)?
Who gets votes and how many?
What events in the US are governed by the UPBF?

Many more questions - but those are the most significant ones right now I think :)

I'd also like to know who sent out that press release (what person) ;)

Nick

Chicago

Jan 31, 2005
Visit site
The framework for the organization sounds good. Will it cost some money to run? Sure - if it's like other federations, players will probably pay something around $50 to play in their local league, some of which will be passed up to the national federation, and some of which will be passed up to the global federation.

How does this benefit the players? For starters, you might not have to pay for both a CFOA ID and a PSP ID. You might get national-level rankings for local-level participation. You might get access to certain promotional-tieins (discounts on hotels, rental cars, etc), kinda like SPPLAT was trying to do a few years back.

Which is all fine and dandy, but its the things the player won't see directly that are more important, like a unified face to entities outside of paintball.

Now, maybe this is just a big ploy to cement in the same people who have been in power for a while. But maybe not. We'll have to see more of the details on the organization. We'll probably see the 5 seats picked by each national federation, and the people running that federation will probably be heavily influenced by the local leagues that choose to participate - because in order for this to work, you need participation from the top-down. Even if the players don't vote directly, they'll get to choose between events that are part of the federation and events that are not. And with their customers making that decision, local event promoters will be deciding whether the costs of being part of the federation make sense or not. And that puts the onus on those federations to keep those local leagues happy.

If you're worried about it, get some people in your area together and start a regional league where your members get to choose who runs your local league. Get affiliated with your national federation, and use your cut of the memberships to run your local league and use your share of the voting power to pick the people running your national federation that you want.

The federation needs the local leagues to collect the memberships, and they're not going to do it unless what they're getting in return is valuable.

Gyroscope

Pastor of Muppets
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
www.4q.cc
Most importantly, get yourself assimilated! I mean, affiliated. :)

Anyone else notice that the PSP have hired the other well known pretty girl and gotten her to sign a press release every couple of days? I have gotten more email from Keely in the last few weeks than from Camille!

It was smart to break up the revelations about the PSP format changes and new rules and such... it creates more messages, and it breaks the information into paintball player sized bites.

This last one seems like a good way to get one's foot into Asia before they know that they are going to be playing paintball. I mean, America and to some extent, Europe are where it is at now, but if those paper tigers ever get their ducks in a row, we will all look like small potatoes (in 30 years). And ducks eat potatoes, which are in turn fed to the tigers.

This is neat, but doesn't tell us the important stuff (important to the prole mass of ballers), like how much, and what we get in return (until the opposition is vanquished).

PSPLane

Dec 2, 2005
www.pspeventtts.com
I won't go into great detail. Partially because all details are not in place. And partly because, I don't understand every detail that was given to me in the first place.

The cost, as far as a person who plays in the PSP is concerned, is covered by their ID fee.

~~~~ I am realizing as I just typed this what a sh!tstorm may come. I just announced a raise in ID costs for next year. One thing had absolutely nothing to do with the other and that is the Gods honest truth~~~~~

But, back to the topic, there will be no "additional" fees for PSP players. As a matter of fact, they may end up getting more for their money. If The Greater South West Tournament Series decides to team up with the UPBF, then I would be willing to accept their ID's at PSP events. This will ultimately be acceptable if the UPBF sets a standard of classification for the world. Uniformity (some may choose the word 'assimilation') is one of the goals, as I see it.

As far as who is going to be a part of this, that's definitely a subject that needs discussing. While it would be troublesome to some if 10 people associated with PSP's payroll fill the 10 North American slots, if PSP is the only associate in North America to begin with, what are the options? I, for one, would love to see a diversified group running this thing. Is that an option in reality? Would a diversified group only make meetings too "diversified" to accomplish anything? I don't know.

On the other hand, I don't want some guy from the Island Republic of Xynagaporia, who just opened a paintball field 6 months ago, and now wants to run tournaments to join the UPBF and have an equal say as Laurent or Niall or Renick. There is a huge disparity in terms of experience within paintball around the globe. The good thing is that most of the newer entities, and I've had very detailed conversations with many of them with regards to this federation idea, seem very willing to let some of the more experienced people have the lead in the beginning. Actually, they WANT the others to take the lead and help them get going.

In some degree, this is one of the ideas behind the formation of the UPBF. Having one identifiable set of standards for anyone who wants to be a part to tap into.

Lot's of "what if" type things are sure to follow these announcements. For now, it is the start of an effort to bring some uniformity to the global scene. It is, in it's birth, as non political as it can be. We'll see how long that lasts. But, until it is proven otherwise, I would say people should rally behind the idea. I plan to. For once, I would like to see paintball try to make something all that it can be, in spite of the challenges. Rather than stand back and throw stones at what they "are sure" it will become.

Back to the "who'll make up the committee" talks -- I think there are 3 people who have chimed in on the subject just in these posts who would be excellent candidates. They represent differing opinions, differing locations, differing ideals, but, as far as I can tell, similar levels of intelligence and desire for what's good for the sport.

I'll start a "write in ballot" campaign in the morning.

Gyroscope

Pastor of Muppets
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
www.4q.cc
Locutus Baca ? :eek:

I hope things pan out like you want them to, Lane. Since power consolidates pretty quickly when something works, most of us can only influence anything by boycotting or carping online. You got to kill the bad ones when they're still small, if you can tell 'em apart.

PSPLane

Dec 2, 2005
www.pspeventtts.com
Originally posted by Nicholas Brocolilian
I'm wondering who has been set up as president of the UPBF and ......?
and........

Originally posted by Gyroscope

Anyone else notice that the PSP have hired the other well known pretty girl .......Keely.....

It's the old "act like you don't know the answer and let your buddy play the smart one" trick, huh?

You two. You never miss a beat. I bet I'm the only one who's realized you guys work together on these things.

You guys have ruined her announcement for tomorrow. It was supposed to be a big surprise