Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Coaching - your views?

Millennium Man

Manchester Outlawz
Should Coaching become a thing of the past?

I may well get burnt posting this thread but i would just like to gauge everyones opinion on the matter.

My thought on Coaching is that it is a good training tool as in playing a new field and getting to grips as to where you can see across the field and work out your stratedgy for a tournament. But i cannot get to grips with using this in a tournament as in my opinion it is just legal cheating and spoils the game. e.g you make a awesome move and the opposition dosnt see you. Normally this would work to your advantage but the guy on the otherside of the netting who is pointing and yelling kind of spoils it.

Players should be quite capiable of using there own knowledge and skills on the field ( Especially communications) that they should not require side line coaching.

Am i right in thinking that in the US the NPPL do not have Coaching from the side lines ??

What do you guys think on this matter

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
I agree the game would be better without it (imo), but the thread on bird-dogging just highlights the fact that it's incredibly difficult to stop completely so perhaps it's better with a level playing field? I play snake though, so I benefit from it a lot :D

Cusack

Oct 17, 2005
dunno why Xball 'needs' coaching im sure it would be much better without it. They should try a show game without it and see what happens. Can make snake players life easy tho :)

Jakey C

Jake Cross
May 28, 2006
wirral
Ninja edit, will re-write this tomorow, in some aspects it wrecks the game, not allowing players to make there own decisions.
It ruins the talented players turning them into robots doing what the coaches tell them, it stops the players using there on field judgement and cuts down on communication.
It would seem a bit weird asking the spectators to watch quitely though.

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
What you going to do redesign the game to suit you, like the yanks tried to redesign soccer.
Sideline coaching is part of the game, whether you like it or love it, it's here to stay, just like ramping.

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
Coaching

I agree that coaching takes skill from the game, but coaching is useless unless you have a coach who knows what he is doing - having several random players screaming different instructions at you from the sidelines just does not help.

I like all formats of paintball, and perhaps it is just a matter of waiting to see which format wins out.

As for the NPPL not allowing coaching - they don't, but take a look at the Ironmen Jax video that is floating about the forums.

A situation like that needs to be dealt with by the Refs.

:)

Gadget

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Essex, UK
Coaching is rubbish, tantamount to cheating - it completes negates the advantage of someone making a killer move into the snake if someone can then shout "oooh he's over here".

Loathe it.

A.B

London E.C.I 2008 retired
Jul 8, 2002
hampshire uk
Sideline coaching (we have excellent coaches in Dave simpson and Twizz) is a positive improvement in the game, it negates the risk of crowd participation and increases the information to the players on the field allowing moves to be made to blow fields open. If a big move is made, then a counter move is usually made- better more dynamic paintball.

On it's own coaching will not win the game, it is not a replacement for players getting slack on basic stuff. It's another tool in the players armoury, Skills still need to be practiced and on field communication needs to be at it's best.

It is obvious to see when players rely solely on the eyes outside the netting, and usually you see them punished for it.

PEBBLE

Toot de la fruit!
Nov 8, 2004
get rid

it ruined my bro's paintball career and is currently ruining mine