Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Death at a UK paintball Centre?

Shadlad

Platinum Member - Lifetime
Aug 16, 2006
Newcastle
We are all guessing at what could have happened, punter or staff it is the same a death that is sad for paintball. But the enviroment that most sites are set natural things can happen. Trees get up rooted, branches fall from trees etc all of which could have made a safe building dangerous. Either way if there are lesson to be learnt from this I know every paintball site owner I know will listen to them.

Fish

CF6
May 15, 2006
Central London
We are all guessing at what could have happened, punter or staff it is the same a death that is sad for paintball. But the enviroment that most sites are set natural things can happen. Trees get up rooted, branches fall from trees etc all of which could have made a safe building dangerous. Either way if there are lesson to be learnt from this I know every paintball site owner I know will listen to them.
yeah, spot on chris... but what i was saying about it being a staff member is right in all fairness... as he could have been checking the sound-ness of the structure, whereas a player would have been taken totally unawares.

Shadlad

Platinum Member - Lifetime
Aug 16, 2006
Newcastle
Yup Fish I know what you mean, just a damn shame. But things happen in every line off work. I was buying stone from a quarry the other day and as you come in it has a record board on display saying how long since previous serious accident !! Then the longest period of time !

Just I know if I was at my site and an accident happened I'd wish the site to go on and the sport not to be harmed.

Sandan

Carlos
Sep 17, 2006
Wirral
Reading the reports i don't think it makes a difference to paintball at all whether it was a member of staff or a customer, the fact that the actual structure of the building was the problem alleviates all responsibility from either surely? because it was at a paintball site is just circumstsantial. however the fact that it is paintball related maybe means that any of the people involved may well view this forum. if so i guess i speak for everyone on here when i say our hearts go out to them, i know if it was my family member i'd be destroyed.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
As sad as this incident is, it does bring to light a problem that exists at many sites. They are simply unsafe.

Besides natural hazards like tree stumps, gullies and ditches and whatever can cause you to break your neck while running into them, many sites unwittingly increase the risk.
The simple fact that this structure collapsed points that out.

Many sites put up some sort of (semi) permanent buildings in their safe areas, as well as what can only be described as wannabe buildings in their game fields. I'm willing to bet that in 99% of the cases, these buildings have not been designed and built by structural engineers, but rather by some "bloke that's handy with a hammer".
We've all seen punters blunder blindly into the walls on a field while they are being shot at.
Somethimg that is not properly built according to the "rules of engineering", runs a much increased risk of collapse...:(

As always, our thoughts go out to the family and friends of the victim. If we can turn this tragedy into a few lessons learned, at least a small modicum of positivity may be found.

Kerry

Where are the bin bags?
Oct 29, 2003
Brum
www.wdp.tv
As fellow site operators we would like to extend our deepest condolences to the family , friends and colleagues involved in this tragedy. Our thoughts are with you.

With Sympathy

Kerry and

Staff and Crew of National Paintball Fields - Bassetts Pole, Birmingham.

Kat

I'm a love Albatross.
Aug 18, 2006
Carlisle/ Leeds
sympathy to everyone effected.
I hope repucussions will be low for the site and it's buisness (although i do hope anything unsafe becomes safe)

Lets hope this doesn't happen again.

Magic_8ball

$outh $ide
Sep 24, 2005
Probably Licking AL France...
Visit site
I think people are reacting in completely the wrong way... I think the important thing here is that someone (from the paintball community, that we are constantly reminded is so closely knit) has tragically died.

I think its ironic and more than a little sad that the first posts in this thread were people worrying about the effect of a possible media spin on the sport rather than the consequences of this event for the family and friends :-/