Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

DSLR Lens used for taking paintball

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
Quite true that the Cokin system, being acrylic, would withstand an impact without shattering and splintering, however, they are a real pain to clean when they do get hit, running water is the only real solution. Another issue is that many kit lenses and zooms rotate when focusing/zooming, so if yo want to use a grad or polarised filter you need to straighten the mount up all the time. When I first set foot on field with my old 300D I had a similar setup with an 81a warming filter! and the 55-200mm lens protected by a nylon sleeve and elastic bands. It kind of worked, but was a bit clunky!

mcheshire

Oct 23, 2013
Stoke on Trent
I have used http://www.hlehmann.co.uk/ in the past and they weren't bad but not cheap, I will make a note of Fixation they look like they would be worth using.
Have you ever used any wireless remote flashes, I used them a far amount when I was doing freestyle skiing shots. I thought they may help give the images more definition/contrast at breakout. Admittedly I don't think you could use them in a competition environment but might be interesting to have ago during practice.

Do you know if there is any problems with using on camera flashes during competition. Thought it might be worth adding fill in to the snake player shots, having said that might be seen as distracting to the players.

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
you don't have to use a grad tho. or you could make a clear filter from clear plastic from a DIY shop
You'd be better to use a UV or Skylight as making your own is likely to be less than optically perfect and affect the image quality. Its not jus Grad filters, with the end rotation that gets annoying ;)

Have you ever used any wireless remote flashes, I used them a far amount when I was doing freestyle skiing shots. I thought they may help give the images more definition/contrast at breakout. Admittedly I don't think you could use them in a competition environment but might be interesting to have ago during practice.

Do you know if there is any problems with using on camera flashes during competition. Thought it might be worth adding fill in to the snake player shots, having said that might be seen as distracting to the players.
I have used wireless remotes, I had a flash and camera in a plastic box to stick in the snake knuckle but the general consensus was that it was distracting (player feedback) though they were impressed by the results! No need for snake side coaching either, just look for the big flashy thing :whistle: I only used it in a couple of trainings. Wireless shutter remotes is another thing, PSP have banned them, I don't think Millennium have but if you wanted to use one on field during a game you'd have to ask @Ainsley first, and make sure the refs were aware, last time I used one the camera was on a beanbag and wrapped in black nylon, a ref just picked it up, not realising what it was, and tossed it to the sideline :eek:, no damage except to the cable fortunately!

I've learned to work around most of the issues with players in shadow, either by crossing the field and waiting until the sun moves, or as above by boosting the shadows in lightroom or using the curve tool.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Filters and lens protection are key issues that often get raised in the photographic & paintball scene.

There is the pro filter point of view - use a filter as a cheap method of protecting the lens

The anti filter point of view - a filter degrades the image, and a lens is tough

Both have valid arguments

There is also the option of covering up the camera, a diving case etc

I'm not a true photographer, I'm a guy with a camera
I use an olympus e450, and whichever lens I choose
I don't have a vast amount invested in my gear, and take the choice of risking the need to replace an item
Usually I have a polarised filter, but not always. I have had direct hits on filters, the lens and the camera - including into the flash, and have had a lens cap hanging from the camera shattered. I have not had a filter or lens damaged, but have had messes to clean up. Paint over a filter has been the worst to clean, when that's happened I've opted to take off the filter and continue, when on the lens I've been able to clean it in game - but only by wiping so there can still be some smearing until I've got out and cleaned properly

Most of the time I've photographed scenarios, so tend to have some distance but have had the camera shot from feet away (the closest was the shattered cap)

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
Shooting scenarios is a whole different ball game, you need to be freaking everywhere at once, and is the only time I'll willingly don Hi-Viz as I want players to see me and realise that I'm not a target. Unlike sup'air where, you aren't actually in the playing zone. Though, to be honest, the most fun I had shooting in the woods was covering Sandbaggers at the UWL finals in Florida last year, in the snake and spider infested jungle in just shorts and a T-shirt, and I hardly got shot at all!

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Shooting scenarios is a whole different ball game, you need to be freaking everywhere at once, and is the only time I'll willingly don Hi-Viz as I want players to see me and realise that I'm not a target. Unlike sup'air where, you aren't actually in the playing zone
On the games to being shot ratio I've been shot more at tournaments then scenario!
I've only been on the sidelines for 2 cpps, in scenario there will be that guy who chooses to entertain themselves with a sneaky Marshall or photographer shot, but in tournament common sense tells me the players ought to be concentrating on shooting the opposition and are inside the boundary shooting inside the boundary. But I've still taken proper shots to the neck and side of my goggles

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
Tournament players will not stop shooting a lane because there is a ref or photographer behind their target! Its in their job description, and we just have to realise that if we get shot, its our fault, Ask any ref worth their salt. also there are many unexpected bounces off Sup'air bunkers, you rarely get that with trees! Come and find me sometime and I'll bore you on the subject of photographers fieldcraft. Of course, there is no explanation for retards!