The Home Of European Paintball

Gun Control

TonyF

Swarm
Sep 22, 2002
Essex
www.swarmpaintball.co.uk
Originally posted by crom-dubh
The shotgun laws could still be tightened up as well. You may need to register and have on your licence every shotgun you own.
You DO currently have to register and have every shotgun you own on your licence, as well as having shotguns not owned by you but in your household on your licence. Shotgun licences currently run for 5 years and are getting harder to renew all the time.
There are many ways for the police to reject an application, as it is down to the visiting firearms officers discretion.

crom-dubh

WHATEVER...
Sep 9, 2001
watford
Visit site
Actually you only need to own a shotgun licence to have as many shotguns as you like, unlike firearms which you need to have each one on your licence and give good reason to own each firearm.

crom-dubh

WHATEVER...
Sep 9, 2001
watford
Visit site
Shotgun certificates are the means of control and licensing for those smooth bore guns which fall into this category. A shotgun certificate differs from a firearms certificate in that it authorises the holder to have shotguns without the need of approval in respect of each individual gun. However, Section 3(2) of the Firearms Amendment Act 1988 amends Section 28 of the 1968 Act to require that the certificate must specify the description of the shotguns to which it relates, including serial numbers, if applicable.

Taken from the met police firearms webpage.

TonyF

Swarm
Sep 22, 2002
Essex
www.swarmpaintball.co.uk
Originally posted by crom-dubh
Actually you only need to own a shotgun licence to have as many shotguns as you like, unlike firearms which you need to have each one on your licence and give good reason to own each firearm.
You still have to have each shotgun listed on your licence and you do need to give good reasonable cause for holding a shotgun certificate.

crom-dubh

WHATEVER...
Sep 9, 2001
watford
Visit site
I agree mate , but at present as long as you hold a shotgun cert. you can own as many shotguns on it as you like, but the new proposals could mean that you will need good reason to own each and every shotgun you own, as well as stating how many shotguns you intend to own when applying for your licence.

Smally85

Super5ives 2010 Champions
Yep...

... I saw that line of arguement coming a mile off! Just felt like pointing it out! :D :D
The idea of getting one of the Princes into balling sounds like a good one... but I'm willing to bet that by the time we get one of the in a team Mr Blair will have gotten rid of the monarchy! Can really see that happening! :D :D Hmm King Tony the annoying... ahhh!!

John Molloy

Jedi Master
Jan 9, 2002
Manchester
ukjaguars.com
Select Committee on Home Affairs Minutes of Evidence
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Examination of Witnesses (Questions 280 - 299)

TUESDAY 14 DECEMBER 1999

MRS GILL MARSHALL-ANDREWS, DR MICK NORTH AND PROFESSOR IAN TAYLOR

280. Finally, what measures would you advocate to tighten up already what you describe as a double standard for legally-held firearms? What would you advocate could be done about stopping the spread or reducing the number of illegally-held firearms?
(Mrs Marshall-Andrews) You have our paper and there are a number of legislative proposals we would like to see. We want to see a minimum age of 18, we want to see a ban on replicas, that is replica weapons which look like the real thing and are designed and marketed to look like the real thing. Holland does this and we see no reason why this should not happen here. There is no real purpose for a replica weapon. Why would you have a replica weapon except to frighten somebody? It seems bizarre. We want to see shotguns brought into section 1 licensing, for the reasons which the police have rehearsed already, I think. We would want to see airguns brought into the system of licensing on a common basis with all other weapons, recognising that airguns are not toys, they are guns and they should be licensed.

Mr Fabricant

281. Just before I get on to my main small area of questioning, Mr Singh asked you about your organisation and you said you were set up after Dunblane but I am still not clear in my mind—and I suspect Mr Singh and others feel the same—exactly who you are. We know who the RSPCA are, the NFU and we know who their members are. How many members do you have?
(Mrs Marshall-Andrews) We were set up after Dunblane in July 1996 as a voluntary organisation with an executive committee of seven. We had families of people from the Hungerford tragedy as well as academics and lawyers.

Mr Fabricant: How many members do you have now?

Mr Winnick

282. Can I just say, Mrs Marshall-Andrews and your two colleagues—and I hope you do not believe we are in any way being impolite—if you do maintain your voice at a certain level Mr Fabricant and I, who I hope do not suffer acute hearing problems generally, will be unable to hear you. You are giving evidence in public and if you could maintain your voice level, it would help all concerned, including I am sure the Chairman.
(Mrs Marshall-Andrews) Sorry.
(Professor Taylor) I am interested in the reason for the question.

Mr Fabricant

283. I do not have to give a reason for a question, I want to know how many members you have. Do you know how many members you have?
(Mrs Marshall-Andrews) Can I just explain a bit of the background to the organisation? We set up with an executive committee of seven, we decided not to have a public membership of this organisation, and on the advice of some Canadian colleagues who had set up a similar organisation and found it infiltrated by shooters and had to stop and restart again with a very, very small group, we decided to remain as a very small group, and that is what we are still.

Mr Winnick

284. Financed by whom?
(Mrs Marshall-Andrews) We started off by being financed by a trust which came to us after Dunblane with an unsolicited donation, and that helped us over the course of our major campaigning until the legislation took place. Since then, we are just operating on a voluntary basis, occasionally we have small donations by trusts but we are a very small group.

Mr Fabricant

285. Can you tell us which trust?
(Mrs Marshall-Andrews) No. It was asked that the donation should remain anonymous. It is a charitable organisation.

Mr Winnick

286. A registered charity?
(Mrs Marshall-Andrews) Yes, they are a registered charity. We are not a registered charity.

Mr Fabricant

287. I am not quite sure of your legitimacy then if there is only a small group of you.

Tells you a lot, eh?