Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

is it illegal to fire your paintball gun in your back garden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sennz

K20 EG
Nov 14, 2007
If you have an illegal firearm you will get in trouble on private property... all it takes is for a neighbour to have a conversation like this with the police and you will be shot or in a lot of trouble:

"Police... there is a guy shooting what sounds like a gun in his garden"
"what do you mean sounds like a gun"
"well its load banging and it sounds like a machine gun" (or in the case they can see you with a replica) "It looks like a gun"

Private property or not real guns are illegal in the UK so thats where you can get in trouble.... if you have problems with neighbours like me just dont do it.... find a friend with a decent neighbourhood and relaxed parents.

Or talk to the nieghbours and let them know it is not a real gun and bargain with them on what times you can fire it... just dont be silly about it.

Don't you mean Paintball guns? :/

as you've gone from Real "illegal firearms" to "Replicas" back to "real guns" then back to "Not a real gun"

paintballJett

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2008
Sm5 2lw
Senz

No I am pointing out the fact that if people suspect you to have a real firearm they can report you and you can get in trouble for it just being a paintball marker....

And as I mentioned before this trouble can result in more then just an asbo.

paintballJett

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2008
Sm5 2lw
Sorry if I got it all a bit confusing.... but for a neighbour who dont know anything about guns he will just say "its a mad man with a gun"....

FirebirD

Grade 'A' Chump
Jun 22, 2006
Dorset
i had my nextdoor neighbour call the rozzers on me a while back, they didn't send the armed squad round, but 2 friendly guys who they said "do you have a firearm in the house?" i was like Yeah its my paintball gun locked in my garage, i showed them all my kit, they realised i wasn't going to be a loon and go crazy with it etc, they questioned where 'sights' go, but as its a tourney marker they dont have sights, so i had to clear some stuff up for them haha :D and then they left saying "okay, aslong as you don't use it irresponsibly"
I never used it in my garden again cos my neighbours where nobbers, but aslong as you don't wave it around and act calmly if they Do happen to come round, you'll be fine, and you can always say its your land, and what not, and aslong as nothing leaves your property and its not between 11pm and 7am (or what ever time it is) you should be fine :)

paintballJett

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2008
Sm5 2lw
Proof,

As long as you use it sensibly there is no harm.... but ye try not to use the gun if the neighbours don't like it.... Obviously I was using an extreme case and places like Dorset don't get as much gun crime as my old neighbourhood... streatham :p

Dillworth

Jul 9, 2008
South Coast, Hampshire
As long as you use it sensibly there is no harm.... but ye try not to use the gun if the neighbours don't like it.... Obviously I was using an extreme case and places like Dorset don't get as much gun crime as my old neighborhood... streatham :p
you confuse me dude, one minute your saying its ok too but ask the neighbors, then the next your saying your not allowed to do it ?
all i would say is

ask your neighbors if its ok if they say yes act sensible and let rip on the fence lol

slampack

Sep 12, 2008
Farnborough
just to help with the law side of the paintball marker in the back garden, the marker is covered as are you by the FIREARMS ACT 1968 also THE ANTI-SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR ACT 2003 (POSESSION OF FIREARMS IN A PUPLIC PLACE) and last but not least VIOLENT CRIME REDUCTION BILL. If any of you subscribe to or can get hold of the latest PBUK 08 magazine there is an artical in there all about the use of paintball markers and transportation of said markers.
The basic round up is you are alowed to use the marker in your back garden as long as
1) the paint dont leave your garden boundry
2) you dont shot anything other than a fixed target (little brother tied to post dont count)
3) you advise your neighbours that you are using a paintball marker
4) you keep with in your local noise level and times (this will depend on where you live)
If you act resposable and dont clown around you should be OK, it may also be advisable to contact the local police station and council office just to be on the safe side

L.D.

May 31, 2008
Westgate on Sea
i had my nextdoor neighbour call the rozzers on me a while back, they didn't send the armed squad round, but 2 friendly guys who they said "do you have a firearm in the house?"

I had the same thing years ago when i was shooting my air rifle in the garden

They asked what i was shooting at so i showed them the metal target holder that i had put inside an old cupboard in the back garden so that any ricochets would not leave my property and they where fine with it

Told me not to point it at anyone and that was all

No armed response!

A friend of mine did a similar thing in his garden with targets fixed to his fence, but didnt realize his pellets where going through his fence, ending up in a neighbours pond and killing the guys koi carp!!!

paintballJett

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2008
Sm5 2lw
Told me not to point it at anyone and that was all

No armed response!

For the people saying I confuse them:
1. A Paintball gun is only called a paintball gun in my posts any reference to real gun or firearm is anything thats not a air gun or is in the sense of the law and used to describe the offence.

2. If you google armed response and paintball gun you will get millions of times that police use standard precautions and have marksmen order people out of their homes with their "hands up" so I believe the post was valid as in some parts in the UK there are places where police will not attend unless 5 cars (10 officers) are at the scene...

Also if you dont have an overlooking neighbour and all he can hear is gun shots and cant report it as 'the child next door playing with an air rifle' you can be in some danger.

3. I said firearms are illegal, even on Private land but no paintball guns are legal.

I reserve my right to post as I have valid points and (my dad is in the metropolitan police force) so I know what is right and wrong. Also challenge my posts dont mock them thats just anti-social.

Skeet

Platinum Member
The law states that you can do if it is on private land, but there are other laws that infringe this like disturbing the peace and such which you can get ASBO's for.

BUT..... if a neighbour fears that some one is firing a fire arm they can call the police, and the police will only send 1 thing and that is their armed officers.... bear in mind these people are trained to kill and never get the chance they are always wanting to have a go.... like that tube terrorist incident.... So my advice is to just let the neighbours know... and get their permission first and be as friendly and co-operative about it as you can.

P.s. Always wear a mask... and don't shoot around anyone that isnt.
This is pretty much what I would have written.:cool: Some consider me to be the Authority on such things around here, though there are others, but they just don't talk about it as much as me:D

The reason it is a good idea to inform your neighbours first, is because it's polite. They are the ones who are likely to be frightened, shocked, bothered etc and will be the ones who call the old bill.
Offer them a go if you like, that can help too.
It's the same as having a party, you tell your neighbours first as it's polite and this can go a long way. It's the principle of it.

A point worth noting, is that Markers are "not to be considered Firearms", in the home Office Guidelines to Police, that is used when interpreting the Amended Firearms Act.

Air Rifles/Pistols, are considered Firearms, but naturally have different rules regarding their legal use, than a Shotgun or Rifle etc.

Real guns are not illegal! I should know, I have quite a few. However, the rules regarding their legal use are more stringent. You can't just get a Firearm certificate, buy a Barrett .50 BMG, then go plinking in your back garden.

With Rifles, you have to demonstrate a reason to have each rifle and each calibre, you have to have somewhere that THEY deem safe to use it, unless you have an Open Certificate, which you can't get for at least 5 years in usual circumstances.

You can use a Shotgun anywhere really, though if you were breaking clays in your back garden, in your little street, you would likely be in the sh!t!
Meaning, you don't have to specify where you intend to use them and you can buy what you like, so long as you have the means to store them safely.

So yeah, inform your neighbours. Try and shoot from cover, so as to reduce noise of firing. Try and shoot into something soft (I use a dustbin on its side, with cardboard in the bottom, loosly) which will reduce impact noise.

Demonstrate a responsible attitude, because even if nobody says anything to you, they may well be watching and if you are overlooked and they see you being a a tw@t, they are likely to call the Police for their safety, yours and anyone nearby.

If you do get confronted by a neighbour, remain calm. It is very tempting to get on your high horse, but remember, you are the minority and are also likely to be considered "a young kid". Advise them politley of the law, stop it if they really want you to or as soon as possible and inform them that you will knock and inform them, next time.
Of course, if you had done that in the first place, they likely wouldn't have knocked:D

Finally, do not rely on a Police Officer knowing the law. They do not know everything. My father in law, who can be an argumentative Ba$tard at times, has recently retired as a Detective Sergeant in CID.

He spotted a box of Shotgun cartridges in the back of my car one day and told me that he could have arrested me for it. I told him to go for it.
Firstly, the box was closed and in fact was empty!
Secondly, while you require a Shotgun Certificate to purchase them, you do not require one to be in possession of them, therefore they are not required to be stored in the same manner as Rifle or Pistol Ammunition.
Which means, if I accidently left a couple rolling around in the back and my wife was driving, she would be fine.
He then stated that he could arrest me under the "intended" section of the law. Meaning "made, adapted or intended". I suggested that, they had not been "made", in the manner of a Gheto weapon, had not been adapted and seeing as there was no means to actually fire them, was not intended either.
He shut up after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.