Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Joeschmoe Time-to-go

Recoil

EBlade *fap*
Apr 26, 2002
Coventry
Visit site
I have never said anywhere that we get rid of the Joe Schmoe section in its entirety? I said it should be altered so that it shows the kind of people that promote the sport. I dont care who it is, Recballers/tourney players whatever.... just stop showing wannabe Rambos... I admit I have not seen this months yet (subscription hasnt arrived :( ) so I shall wait until I see that one.

As I have stated before, time and time again I read in PGI we need to get rid of the military/army/war conitations that our sport can promote. Thats my argument... is it incorrect?

Recoil

EBlade *fap*
Apr 26, 2002
Coventry
Visit site
Originally posted by Mr Big

Oh yes it does. You were talking about the PC side of paintball, and WDP Heaven with scanti ly clad girls etc has everything to do with the PC side of paintball.
Fine tell WDP then.... doesnt bother me, cause there is some woman with hardly any clothes on in the advery isnt going to make me buy an angel. This happens in every sport, I cant condone it but I doubt I am going to be able to stop it. I bet you could tho.... but then I am sure upsetting your advertisers isnt what you want is it?

Nico

In a galaxy far far away
Apr 26, 2002
Sheffield
Visit site
Joe Schmoe

Me and my mates try to play as often as possible (we are the twelve monkeys, you've probably not heard of us) but site owners are often reluctant to let own gunners join in with the usual rental crowd, the excuse is that the punters take one look at our gear and sh#t themselves. Usually the sites are a bit of a let down too, we played a site last year that ran out of CO2 before dinnertime so we handed our paint back, got a refund, and left a rather hurt looking site owner to his rental mob. Now i'm not saying (before anyone decides to have a go at me) that all rec sites are like that and i know haulin stuff up a woodland track can be a nightmare but come on, two hay bails and a pile of twigs do not make a paintball site. We usually have to travel a round trip of a couple of hundred miles to find a decent site.
Also anyone with two kids a mortgage and a really ****ty job can't really afford to join the tourny crew. Yes i am a rec baller but i have played speedball and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Many are called but few are chosen.

Why should we...

We ain't trying to make the sport PC, or labelling people 'Rambo wannabees' cos they choose to play big games in tha woods.

Did you notice that tha NPPL Chicago is running alongside a 24hr game full of 'Rambo wannabees'? Maybe tha NPPL believe, like we believe, that pball is a broadchurch and everyone from hardened scenario gamers in ghillie suits to Chris Lasoya is a valuable player.

As for what you read in PGI, I'd guess you read a variety of opinions, from hardline tourney guys to comitted scenario players. We don't differentiate, it's all Paintball.

To my knowledge, tha powers that be at PGI have NEVER said 'we need to move away from military/war/army connotations'...some PGI tourney writers have certainly said that for the sport side of Paintball to progress, the leap from tha woods to concept fields was 100% necessary.

The head honchos at PGI agree with that 100%, but as for big games, scenarios etc, they're cool, they're still Paintball and PGI support them.

It's pretty arrogant for a player, a company or a magazine to say 'This is what all paintball should be and this is how you should play the sport and how you should look'...PGI is pretty damn cocky, but it ain't that cocky. You seem to be...

Nico

In a galaxy far far away
Apr 26, 2002
Sheffield
Visit site
Recoil (no war)

i agree with recoils views about p/ball being seen as the hiding place of future rambos, but when you have two teams shooting bullet type projectiles at each other from gun shaped markers how are we supposed to paint (pardon the pun) a different picture?

Tom Tom

Damn you ALL
Jul 27, 2001
Waterlooville
www.thinkingfortuesday.com
This is turning into a nice big discussion.

The points that have been made are all valuable and its true, from what I can see the US rec-ball scene dwarfs ours (not just cause of the size of the country) It would be idiotic for Mr Big, Tj and all at PGI to drop Joe (however much we hate it) Schmoee but if it means the US buys it and they can keep printing it fine with me.

It does raise the issue of developing Walk-on/ recdays in the UK (Plug )

I play tourney and rec ball, whatever I can do to play paintball as much as I can with the time I am given.

One day I hope to be able to push my tourney play, thats just what I love, but I love Paintball.

Maybe a "rambo" player is just what we need to help develop paint ball cause if the guys and galls that turn up to site can see a person like them in the National Paintball mag and they can see it might be them if they want to get into it, then we have a new member who will as we have all done change their views and want to play tourneys and "Dis" all the rambos out there.

I remeber my first few games, you were doing all the army stuff without the real bullets. Now I enjoy Tourney/speedball cause I have developed as has the sport.

With programmes like X-Ball (see other thread) pushing paintball in the Rambo vein but people glued to the TV then out to the local field we are getting more people into PAINTBALL.

It will take time to convert the world.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
It's funny how some people can only see the world from their point of view...

Tourney ball, or recball looking like tourney ball may be what you want to see, but the vast majority of not only the general public, but of the players as well, see paintball as something to be done wearing cammies and stuff. By far the most players are recplayers, and by far the most of them wear como gear. It makes sense. Wearing the avarage JT jersey is about as helpfull as wearing a big flashing neon sign saying 'shoot me, go on, try it' when playing in the woods. What a number of people are trying to do is deny the history of paintball.
We tourney players may think we are high profile, but we're not. Tell the man in the street that you play paintball, and he'll think that you get face down in the mud and hide behind trees on the weekends, not that you run around big, multicoloured inflata-fields, wearing 'the latest fashion...'
Sorry Recoil, but Mr Big is very right, and you are very wrong in this discussion....

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Maestro, the mag doesn't really need to be defended

Originally posted by TJ Lambini
We ain't trying to make the sport PC, or labelling people 'Rambo wannabees' cos they choose to play big games in tha woods.

Did you notice that tha NPPL Chicago is running alongside a 24hr game full of 'Rambo wannabees'? Maybe tha NPPL believe, like we believe, that pball is a broadchurch and everyone from hardened scenario gamers in ghillie suits to Chris Lasoya is a valuable player.

As for what you read in PGI, I'd guess you read a variety of opinions, from hardline tourney guys to comitted scenario players. We don't differentiate, it's all Paintball.

To my knowledge, tha powers that be at PGI have NEVER said 'we need to move away from military/war/army connotations'...some PGI tourney writers have certainly said that for the sport side of Paintball to progress, the leap from tha woods to concept fields was 100% necessary.

The head honchos at PGI agree with that 100%, but as for big games, scenarios etc, they're cool, they're still Paintball and PGI support them.

It's pretty arrogant for a player, a company or a magazine to say 'This is what all paintball should be and this is how you should play the sport and how you should look'...PGI is pretty damn cocky, but it ain't that cocky. You seem to be...
from an assortment of chuckleheads who don't get Joe Schmoe. The ones who object most strenuously don't like it cus it reflects on their image of themselves as ballers. J.S. may seem silly to some (me included sometimes) but at the same time I remember when J.S. was my paintball playing experience and while I don't have any desire to go back in a lot of ways it was an incomparable playing experience; totally new, constantly exciting, mega-steep learning curve, stark terror and huge thrills when you're unexpectedly successful and the list goes on. Experience makes you a better player (one hopes) but it also makes elements of playing the game routine. Of course there are loads of players who started Rec and stayed Rec but I tend to equate Rec with being a Newbie and "discovering" paintball.
I do gotta say however bolstering your arguement by tying in the upcoming Big Game in Chitown with NPPL/PSP event is a stretch. You might, just might, get away with suggesting somebody is experimenting with exposing Big Gamers to tourney ball but I don't really see that either. Down here in the land of perpetual sunshine--except when its raining and even then sometimes--the Big Game crowd knows everything they want to know about tourney ball and mostly it's just not for them. (And vice versa) Cynic that I am I'm inclined to think tie-in related to prospects of generating greenbacks and little else particularly as unless there is magnificent site management players are gonna stacked up like cord wood.
The other thing I found interesting was a post back in the thread somewhere by the guy who makes it sound like most sites in England either actively or passively stunt the growth of the sport by not having walk-on days. I certainly don't know the economics of operating a field in England but that strikes me as crazy. If nobody else was interested in walk-ons one would think paintball industry geared toward the low to mid end of the market would have a lot of interest in trying to develop regular players who owned their own kit. Then again perhaps I'm reading more into it than is really there.
Moo

I know dude...

I just get riled when I read sentences like 'some muppet in a ghillie suit with a silencer'...what gives anyone tha right to pre-judge or claim their style of ball is superior? Tha sheer arrogance pisses me off... anyhow, I'm tetchy today.

And from what I know of the Brit scene, it is gradually realizing that more and more players are buyng their own guns - Spyders, Mags, Piranhas, whatever - who ain't tourney players yet, and may choose not to be, and that they need to cater for 'em...

As for Chi-Town - 150 10-Man teams, big game crowd...TJ sees stormy, stormy waters ahead in his crystal ball.

Hope I'm wrong...

Recoil

EBlade *fap*
Apr 26, 2002
Coventry
Visit site
reading back I am realising something....

All my posts appear to have been taken as "I hate Recballers" Almost every single one of the posts following mine has mentioned how Recball is the thing keeping our sport alive etc etc etc and completely missed the point. I agree recball keeps our sport alive, I am not a hardcore tournament player and probably rec-ball more than I tourney ball...

What I dont agree with is the way some of the sport is portrayed, If me trying to get the sport protrayed in a non damaging light is cocky then so be it, if that makes people think that I can only see the world from my point of view so be it and thanks for judging me.