Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

"Killing in the Name" For Christmas No.1

jon.s

Slippy
Sep 4, 2009
northants
www.bonesbrigade.co.uk
For the contestants vying for the title of The X Factor winner, the reality show always promised nationwide fame, chart success and a £1m record deal.

But yesterday, it emerged that the lucky singer who will be crowned this weekend will have to make do with fame over fortune. The winner will be rewarded not with a £1m cash prize but the more diminutive advance of £150,000 for a first album. The only chance of hitting the £1m mark would be after making at least four albums, a leaked copy of the contract – which is enforceable "anywhere in the world and solar system" – showed.

The contract also contains a clause protecting Simon Cowell, stating that artists must not make any statement which "may be considered unduly negative, critical or derogatory of the company – including its personnel and, in particular, Simon Cowell".

Sony BMG confirmed that the80-page contract which all finalists had to sign before the Saturday night live shows began, clearly states a £150,000 advance for the winner. But the record company added that was a standard agreement for new acts.

Critics suggested it was misleading for the show's presenter, Dermot O'Leary, to allude to the £1m deal in front of the 13 million viewers.

But Sony said the £1m had always referred to the overall value of the deal. "The prize for winning The X Factor is a recording contract with Sony BMG. The value of recording an album can be around or in some cases, far in excess of £1m and The X Factor contract is a standard recording contract."

The £1m headline figure is calculated after taking into account location costs, filming, costumes, marketing and enlisting some of the music industry's best known producers. A source from Sony BMG said: "It's enormously expensive. Some people have flown to LA to record with top producers. We have photo-shoots, wardrobe costs, travel, production costs, vocal training, sound costs every time someone does a TV appearance."

The winner gets 15 per cent from single and album sales. Headlining a tour brings 7.5 per cent of show profits and 15 per cent of merchandise sales.

The 12 contestants are given three weeks to peruse and sign the contract before the beginning of each series and offered a choice of three independent solicitors, whose fees are paid by Cowell, The X Factor creator.

Artists who are voted out of the show are still under contract to Cowell's label for up to three months.

But Sony said that left artists free to collect profits from live appearances as well as TV and corporate events.

The winner has to sign up with the agent, Modest Management, in a deal having the potential to last 14 years.

The record label has "final say" over tracks for albums, and can choose producers and single releases.

Another clause states that artists leaving the show may have to give 5 per cent of all future live earnings to Cowell for a year.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/film-tv/news/x-factor-contract-revealed-14102173.html#ixzz0aSRmE2TY

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Jay, whilst I recognise Cowell's financial dexterity and duly applaud it, I am left with a nasty taste in mouth when I consider what sort of man he is.

It would seem from this post above that details the nature of these contracts, the contractual deck is loaded so much in Cowell's favour, it beggars belief these people sign it.

And on that note, Cowell merely takes advantage of these people's pathological need for 'stardom' .. their 15 minutes fame is so [or the promise of it] is so alluring, that commonsense flies straight out the window when looking over the proposed contract ..... I suppose these ingrate contestants deserve what they get in terms of being ass-raped but nevertheless, it galls me to think of a rich man like Cowell being so greedy as to rob these contestants of their due money as well as their dignity and soul.

If I could meet Cowell, I would like to injur him .....

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
What I do in the music business... I'm a music producer, recording engineer, tour manager and A&R manager. Done work with and for such names as Sony Music, Snoop Dogg, Cypress Hill, Ice T, Craig G and lots of others.
Don't forget Westwood... Booyah!

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Jay, whilst I recognise Cowell's financial dexterity and duly applaud it, I am left with a nasty taste in mouth when I consider what sort of man he is.

It would seem from this post above that details the nature of these contracts, the contractual deck is loaded so much in Cowell's favour, it beggars belief these people sign it.

And on that note, Cowell merely takes advantage of these people's pathological need for 'stardom' .. their 15 minutes fame is so [or the promise of it] is so alluring, that commonsense flies straight out the window when looking over the proposed contract ..... I suppose these ingrate contestants deserve what they get in terms of being ass-raped but nevertheless, it galls me to think of a rich man like Cowell being so greedy as to rob these contestants of their due money as well as their dignity and soul.

If I could meet Cowell, I would like to injur him .....
Unfortunately Cowell isn't unique, although he is one of the most visible ones. Most A&R (Artist and Repertoire) managers stay out of the limelight.
I'm not a big fan of the man either. What he, and many others are doing is draconian at best. It's akin to a pimp and a prostitute relationship. The prostitute does all the dirty deeds and is only left with a handout after the pimp came along...

This is also one of the reasons why big stars like George Micheal and Prince had huge fallouts with their companies.
It's also one of the reasons why people with "street" mentalities (like a lot of rappers) do relatively well in this industry. Ice Cube once renegotiated a contract by going into the label boss' office carrying a baseball bat. :D

Dskize

I Would
Dec 6, 2004
Duntryin
Kudos for having the coconuts for argue with Buddha though , more discussion and less lol merchants is the way forward.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
guess i was wrong *ouch*
DJ, it takes a man to admit as much, I'm not sure how long you been using this site but there was a guy on here some years back before he got banned, called Nick Brockdorrf.

He was a very bright guy but seemingly unable to admit he was wrong, and the irony was, he used to wriggle and struggle so much during a debate [but never ever admitting he was wrong] that in the end, the position he finally found himself in, was absolutely ludicrous in terms of rational argument.

Bottom line was this, his ego had the final word, and that final word made Nick look like an idiot, and the irony I mentioned earlier was, Nick was not an idiot, he was extremely bright.

At least you didn't do the stupid thing here, you did the mature thing.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
guess i was wrong *ouch*
It happens dude, no worries. This just happened to be a subject I'm slightly familiar with. ;)

To be fair, if wasn't in the industry I'd probably go all googly eyed too when I hear a million being thrown around, so no harm done.

It's quite scary though when you think about how easily a million can just turn into vapor in a second...