Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

new and confused

nick "the shadow cat"

Illegitimi non carborundum
Jun 23, 2014
It has a lot actually thank you. Especially concerning the air tank and the masks. Looks like I might be going shopping soon then lol :)

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
It has a lot actually thank you. Especially concerning the air tank and the masks. Looks like I might be going shopping soon then lol :)
If you are looking for a full coverage mask you can't go far wrong with one of these: http://www.lips-paintball.com/acatalog/JT-Flex-8-Full-Head-Headshield-Paintball-Mask-Camo-971.html these are very comfortable for pretty much everybody and they have excellent lenses, they will even accomodate glasses.

Before you rush out and buy more kit I would contact your local site(s) and find out if they do actually run 'walkon' days for customers with their own equipment, they are often happy to rent/loan equipment to new players for one of these days too. Once there you can talk to other players and ask if you can have a try out with some of their equipment to see what you like. The last thing I would suggest you do is rush out and buy a cheap starter kit and end up with sub-standard equipment that is hard to fix (markers especially) and has no resale value!

Most players who buy starter kits and play regularly will upgrade their kit (or at least want to) fairly soon, so it's better to actually find out what you like and what is good quality before you shell out.

You may find you have to travel further afield to find a site that you can play on with your own equipment, if this is the case and you decide you just want to stick to your local site and play as a regular rental customer then if you have your own mask you will feel more comfortable when you do.

nick "the shadow cat"

Jun 23, 2014
I never thought of that. I will phone around today I think to see what the sites say. But I think my own mask is the way forward first.. cheers

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
Don't rush out and spend your money on shiny bits just yet. Few things to think about for you.

Hardly anyone bothers with full head coverage masks, they're not that comfortable and tend to get quite hot and sweaty. I understand you took a bad one to the head, probably with site quality paint which is renowned for not breaking easily, it's never top grade stuff.

Consider a standard mask and a decent beanie hat or headband which will take the sting out and be a lot more comfortable for you.

Buy that first.

Next, scour the classifieds here once you get up to 20 posts and keep an eye out for a cheapish loader. Look for a Halo or prophecy for less than 40 or 50 quid, both fairly bulletproof and will capably feed whatever marker you decide on.

Air tank should be the last thing you buy, most sites will have a spare they'll be happy to loan you and it'll save you money which you can in turn spend buying a decent marker. that JT thing is a marker shaped object, good for feck all really and when you decide you want to upgrade you won't get a dog to bark at it, never mind someone pay money to take it from you.

Again scour the classifieds, look out for an Empire/Invert mini, Eclipse etha, etek, Proto PMR or rail and you'll find they outperform all your basic "package" guns by a country mile. You might need to up your budget slightly however a small increase initially will pay dividends in the long run and you'll come back to thank me. The above markers are basically junior versions of their performance big brothers and will in most cases feature more than you'll ever need. More importantly parts and suchlike are freely and easily available, as is tech support.

If you can get to a walk on, tournament or big game you'll be surrounded by stuff to look at and see and more importantly try on for size. Guns will be on display and people will be walking around with their kit and trust me, paintballers love to talk about their stuff. Feel free to ask questions and make enquiries, tell them Dusty sent ya ;)

Reactions: Kevin Winter

Zondo

One of eight bosses
Aug 31, 2014
United States
Keep going out and play. Talk to the other guys who you see that are doing well. the more you can learn from them, the better you will get. Also, you have to figure out what your style of play is... do you run up fast or do you try to methodically move through the field. This might also have some to do with the type of marker you shoot.

Hayden B

May 19, 2014
Depending on what sites you go to and what type of game you're playing you don't want to over gear yourself with stuff you don't need. Just slowly pick up the essentials as you go along the way.

nick "the shadow cat"

Jun 23, 2014
Thanks for all the tips I did get myself a BT4 omega,mainly because it can withstand a lot of abuse and dropping ( also it looks like an M16 ; ) ). I have brought camoflage. However I look like an over weight action man in it. Oh well you live and learn. I'm hoping to start playing soon now the summer holidays are done. But atleast I've got enough to start with.

Mr_Wolf_Is_Innocent

THE Big Bad Wolf
Aug 28, 2014
Isle Of Thanet
Hi Nick, a fellow newbie (although more noob than yourself, as have yet to feel the sting of a marker bite), Just seen you mention Birchington, and I live almost a stones throw *if you have a very long range throw.. lol

sadly the finances I was going to be using to get a marker (started out looking for a target shooting "Toy") went on getting daughter into Uni, so I have to start hiding money away till its built up a bit again.. but now have time to myself, (home is so quiet..).. so am going to have a massive ebay clear out, and see if I can get some cash back behind me. :)

anyhow, I was just wanting to say Hi to another local, member..

Hi!

Mark