Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Newbie questions

RedishPaintballVet

Semi-retired
Aug 10, 2007
Warrington
I am looking to get back into paintball and I'm still in the research stage of getting a marker (as is a friend of mine). I have some questions which I hope someone might be able to help us with. Apologies if these have been asked already.

1. Quite a lot of sites do not allow sup air but only CO2 on their site e.g. Delta Force, does anyone know the reason for this?

2. I'm thinking of getting a Marker such as an ION. Is this marker capable of running on CO2 or will it only run on air?

3. I would like to use the marker for both speedball and woodsball. Therefore I am considering a Tippmann A5 and customising it with e-grip etc. How does the ION compare to this gun for woodsball? I can see why a woodsball gun might not be ideal for speedball but is there any reason a speedball gun might not be suitable woodsball?

4. Last of all, I am based near Manchester and would like to know if there any good sites around here that have walkons and regular days that allow your own gun (prefferebly with compressed air).

Thanks in advance everyone! :D

Kevy D

Retired, lol
Aug 6, 2007
Northern Quarter
I am looking to get back into paintball and I'm still in the research stage of getting a marker (as is a friend of mine).
Just introducing myself as the "freind" too by the way, LOL.
Have been looking at the A-5 mainly because of it's indestructability in the great outdoors. I've got the same questions as the Vet above.

rusty56

cover your eyes and run
Feb 21, 2007
UK , Nottingham
if you and your mate are still looking for a marker i have to very good friends of mine that are selling pmrs in the best of condition and have practicaly never been used and i think they have ups on them to for a very cheap they are a brill start up marker for sup air and woodball drop me a pm if your intrested if not you miss out :eek:

as for your questions well you do not want a tippman for speedball its just wrong but i gess i will come down to what you will play most woodball or speed ball? but out of those to options the ion and a5 go for the ion will do the job of both well, the pmr is more of a step up from the ion but it is a big diference that you will notice and if its speed ball you wana play thats more the gun for you.

most sites now are converting to air not co2 so you should be ok on that front.

it is said that ions do run off co2 but not very well and it just fcuks them up so i wouldnt bother.

and i try and keep away form Manchester so some one else can answer that.

jack.

RedishPaintballVet

Semi-retired
Aug 10, 2007
Warrington
Thank you for the info on the Markers Jack, I will message you on the PMR's. Both my friend and I are in the market to purchase complete setups...

If anyone can answer the other questions it would be a great help.

Potter Loki

Mar 18, 2007
Essex
1. alot of sites such as delta force are only for people who have never played to go along a have a laugh, not for like training or competition, there markers are very basic mechanicals that use CO2, which is cheaper than air to run, if you went to a decent sight they will have air provided.

2. Ions will run on CO2 but its strongly recomended that air is used, air is much kinder to the internals such as orings etc. if CO2 were to be used it would need an anti-syphon installed which basically stops liquid CO2 getting into the internals, to be honest dont take a risk, use air.

3.the Ion will be fine for whatever you want to use it for, there are so many possible upgrades you could use it for what you saw fit, it also has electronic eyes unlike a tippmann so it is very unlikely you will every chop a ball.

4.im a southerner so dont know:D

Jason4bees

Cool Dude
Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
4. Last of all, I am based near Manchester and would like to know if there any good sites around here that have walkons and regular days that allow your own gun (prefferebly with compressed air).

Get an ion get air not CO2 and go northernquarter.:)

Kevy D

Retired, lol
Aug 6, 2007
Northern Quarter
Hmmm, all this good advice had fooked my decision up again, LOL - I had my mind set on the A5 but seeing as we're veterans from years ago, maybe the Ion would prove to be a little less NooB for us (and still ok for woodsball). (That was a "thanks for the advice" by the way ;) )

Potter Loki

Mar 18, 2007
Essex
if you still wanted a serious woodsball look you could go for a smartparts sp-8 which has ion internals but a funky bodyshell, aimed at woodsballers, might be up your street:)

Kevy D

Retired, lol
Aug 6, 2007
Northern Quarter
Tbh I ain't got a clue what I want, LOL. I was all up for the "real life" look for a while, hence the A5 and all it's aesthetic mods but the more I read the forums and get back into the swing of it, the more I want a more modern marker. Plus the SP-8's looks really don't float my boat. Thanks for the recommendation though fella, appreciated!