PA goes 15bps/ramping

Russell Smith

The Paintball Association
Originally posted by Hardie
just one quick question maybe i mis read this before
but were you not going to have it so the ramp didnt start
till 8 or more ,,,,,just my thoughts but any body who picks
up a marker can hit 5bps or am i wrong again ..........:p
Indeed when we first talked about this we wanted ramping to come in at no less than 8 balls per second and come off at say 5 balls per second.
But you have to remember who we are, we might have ideas (or not) that can help paintball but we are not big enough to tell companys to do software to our specs.
And I have no problems with that.
We had talked to the majors and some of them took our idea on board and went with it with slight changes.
It still had the cap of 15 bps and it still allowed ramping so there would be no advantage to cheats.
They decided that they wanted to allow ramping to start at 5 bps so players was not tempted to cheat at that point.
We have checked out the modes in testing and they are fine, not what we wanted ourselves but good enough and it keeps the rules the same.
They also decided that if you started to shoot your gun within one second of stoping in ramp mode you could go into ramp from the first shot.
It is a very easy mode to check is working as it should.
All proposed ramp modes at the moment will be OK to use at PA events.

Russ

Rob - Nott'm Tremmor

I was Captain/manager/coach
Dec 17, 2003
Nottingham
Dont know if it has been mentioned before ( cant be arsed to read back through this ) , but as far as the software upgrade for the angel , the Speed '05 upgrade is definately available from WDP now. It costs £15 + return postage.

I assume the software upgrade for rest of the current range is also available now too.

:D

Most people dont set their markers past about 285 fps as it is to make sure they dont have any chance of a hot gun due to slight variation in paint size and regulator inconsistencies and because of this i dont see any reason why you should change it to a new level of 280 fps.

Doing this will mean to be on the safe side now we will have to set markers as low as 260 fps and if you think this will not affect paint breaking at long range and distance you are very wrong.

Nobody had a problem with the velocity limit at 300fps because only a fool would try and set their marker up at 299 !

If it aint broke why are you trying to fix it ?

Rabies

Trogdor!
Jul 1, 2002
London, UK
There are a lot of fools in paintball.

And if your paint is not breaking on those fools at 260fps with the current field sizes, you need to change your paint.

If you think that your paint will break every time from the full lenght of the field in any ambient temperature conditions at 260 fps then you have more faith than me and in a game where even one bouncer on the break could decide who wins and who loses a game it becomes very important.

But you seem to be missing my point .....How many people do you actually know who set their velocity to 299 fps ?

If the answer is more than zero i would be very surprised !

The fact is most people already set up their markers to around 280 fps or just over and we dont have any problems with it so why are they taking it upon themselves to change more rules ?

We have all been playing using this standard for years and there has never been a problem, so why the sudden need to change something that works fine ?

MrPink

Banned
Aug 15, 2002
Cook$ mom's house
www.ltpaintball.com
Originally posted by ANDY-501

Doing this will mean to be on the safe side now we will have to set markers as low as 260 fps and if you think this will not affect paint breaking at long range and distance you are very wrong.
Dude - seriously, if you can't get +/- 5 with good paint out of your gun, then you shouldn't be competing at the level you guys are.

I'm not worried about the 20fps reduction, the NPPL has also adopted it and it doesn't seem to have changed the game over by all accounts - I'lll just set the Ion to 275, stick Hellfire in her and go blast fools as before.

Ben Frain

twit twoo
Sep 7, 2002
In a tree
WDP LP 4.0

Latest ramping software for Angels is LP 4.0 (mode 3 is the ramping mode instead in this release).

It is for Speed 05 and A4 Fly only as far as I am aware, don't know about Fly Euro's.

TonyF

Swarm
Sep 22, 2002
Essex
www.swarmpaintball.co.uk
Hate to say it, but I have gotta agree with pinki on this one Andy. None of our team have any problems shooting our paint at 260-280 over the length of the P.A. fields, which are not that long. Also my timmy runs about +/- 7-8 fps so I can set it at about 270. Normally I run it at 290!Most people i know will set their marker to as close the limit as they can, 299 is a bit extreme but 295 is not uncommon.
The problems with bouncers will always exist, unless they can make paintballs more uniform.....but then ramping at 15bps you should be planting more than 1 ball on the player anyway.

Any ideas if they plan to do software for the LCD's?