Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

PR indeed

Sid

Jul 10, 2001
God's Country
www.a1paintball.org
You know what I think, just my opinion, but here goes.

I think PGI and the paintball media have lost sight of where the tournament players begin, NOVICE and ENTRY LEVEL.

So often we read articles and reports on tournaments and it's like war and peace on the PRO, maybe war on the Am and novice gets a mention, how pish is this. Are alot of novice teams sponsored, NO, well, help them, there is nothing better than picking up PGI and seeing your name in print. Really a small price to pay for keeping teams interested in the game when you think about it. The turnaround in novice teams is shocking so surely for the sake of maybe a page in PGI to keep the team together is a small sacrifice.

Example.

Escarmouche are the ONLY paintball Team in Ireland, they came third in the Campaign Cup this year, they are not sponsored, they are not funded. They cannot play every month, they cannot train against or be advised by PRO or AM players due to location. Surely this deserves in itself a little clap of the hands from the paintball big boys....come on......

So, sorry to rattle on Ian, but, I think the reason Novice teams just give up is because they wait in hope that one day someone in the World will mention there name, never comes....pity that.

see you at the tourney, never know, might even get my photo taken for once....

Mador

lurkin' in a dark place
Aug 7, 2001
Selby ...near York.
Visit site
Very true alot of teams come and go too quickly,the team I play for is partly made up of teams that have fragment due to dissolusionment with the scene itself.

Getting looked down at because your kit looks bad....give us a break!!.....we just spent money on what we can afford.....we ain't sponsered!!......can't afford the latest shiny toys on the market.

The magazine cover all the top guys out there but perhaps just one page to cover the little guys out there will give them the incentive to keep going.....seeing your team name in print is a huge boost to people...not much to ask is it??

I know can't cover Nowheresville all the time but we are where the rest of the teams have come from so a little mention can't hurt.

Mador.

Sid hats off to you.....you've finally said it.

Alien

MattttttLock
Jul 10, 2001
Wales
Visit site
Well said Sid.

Give more coverage to Novice and AM teams. It seems to me that the lower guys still play for FUN, while the big boys sometimes forget why they started to play:(

Keep at it Sid and say hi to Hippie and Escarmouche from the Pimps

Alien
Psycho Pimps

Giles

Jul 17, 2001
Buckingham Palace
Visit site
I agree

Some thing very breif and to the point and I must admit I agree
I am not sure how many of the above have read PGI in its infancy many years previously back in the early ninetys even, the mag then was based very much around what now would be considered as AM/Novice and pro, now they have very little
I feel for a lot of the teams that receive no sponsorship
I can think back to when I was in a none sponsored team and the amount it cost me
Would I still be playing if it cost me full whack-well probably only for the fact I am a complete control freak and enjoy the people and freinds

Sid

Jul 10, 2001
God's Country
www.a1paintball.org
Giles

Giles mate, I'm the same as yourself, way back when paint it Tartan written by Gary Weston had 2 pages dedicated to Scottish paintball, well, Highlander actually :)

Hope PGI take this on board and maybe help the PRO of the future.

acsik

Sep 18, 2001
Hungary
Visit site
Not to mention that the sponsors aren't too many. A lot of talent goes wasted when the funds are gone then theese ppl are off the sport. And it will be only worse

Sid

Jul 10, 2001
God's Country
www.a1paintball.org
Let me explain

You are obviously missing the point and well, you kinda can't see the wood for the trees. Where I accept that players that have earned the RIGHT to PR do deserve it (although not every edition) I'm merely saying that a little help in the form of PR would go a long way to ' Keeping interested not so brilliant players/teams', making the comment about 3rd place Novice being equal to 43rd overall after Pro and Am because you are soooo much better than we are is a shocking statement to make, even by your ever critical standards. Where does this leave novice and entry level teams? Where is the will to win and succeed when people have the attitude you have? They feel good within themselves because they only lost 3 games out of 10, they work just as hard as you and deserve the glory as much as you do. I have been playing for 12 years and love the sport, does this give me the right to ask for PR due to dedication? I have helped bring paintball back to Scotland, an entire Country which for so long did without this glorious game due to legal restrictions is now on the up, not down to my individual efforts, I merely opened a door bringing more players together, buying the only Sup' Air in Scotland, travelling X miles per year to play tournaments because I love them, making my presence known and taking the time to show RESPECT to players regardless of level, so do you really think a bit of PR for the people working hard to make it happen is not on simply because we are not PRO players...I and I'm sure alot of other players don't think so. What I'm saying is simple, it makes us mere bottom of the food chain players feel good when we pick up an INTERNATIONAL magazine and see our team name, even if it is under 106th out of 107 teams in a tournament, it makes us feel good if the reporter mentions our team name, we take pride in the fact we have been noticed on that day. We as do most players spend vast amounts of money on kit, paint, travel, accom, petrol not to mention the sh** we get from out other half because we make sacrifices to play, now I'm not saying you don't before you go off on one but you get the PR, you see something for your efforts......see my point?

If PGI would just take the time or reporters for that fact would maybe for 10 minutes look at other teams other than the 'Named' teams then maybe we would try that little harder to get in there and succeed, rather than having to convince your less enthusuatic team mates that one day our break will come. I mean, what about shock results at tournaments when a Novice team has spanked a couple of Pro teams, come on, give them a little PR so they can see you guys saw or indeed at least heard about how well they played.....feel good factor, doesn't make you a bad person.

And for the record, Football does cover games outside the premiership, first division is covered as are other cup matches and when a team that beats the pro's and the odds does do well...THEY GET PR....

In fact, in Scotland we have once a year the Junior Cup Final, Junior football is well, Saturday kick about games, but they get PR for their efforts...nice to be nice...now, Nick, want an interview??

Be nice Nick, Paintball is evolving all the time and we need PR at all levels in all countries if we are to bring the stars of the future to the top of thier game.

;)

Sid

Jul 10, 2001
God's Country
www.a1paintball.org
Response

Nick,

My response was not in anger, more frustration at the fact you never manage to see 2 side to an issue. Come on mate, surely some PR for up and coming or indeed just in general to novice teams would be a good thing, oh and I also read my PGI from front to back, well apart from your articles ;)

But all I am saying is it would be nice to see some recognition for the smaller teams on the path to overall Pro status...surely, give a little here, go on, you know you want to...

Oh and John, you are a legend in your own right, we all know that :D

See you in November hopefully...so your really that old Nick, ggeezzz.....hehe

GoatBoy

Come to Goatboy ladies...
Sep 26, 2001
West Sussex
Visit site
Nick

Forgive a newbie who has never played a tourney in his life for sticking his oar in, but I think your 1st post gives the impression that you don't believe am teams should get a mention unless they've *earned it*..... By this are you implying that only the best teams and players have the right to be mentioned?, is media coverage the privilege of an elite few?

I think Sid's original post is valid and PGI could better support the am and Novice end of tourney play, by boosting new teams with mentions/and or articles aimed at addressing their needs. i.e. tips on buying second hand kit, tourney hints, team management tips, am and Nov dedicated pages with mentions and piccies etc

By the way, I think Nick's comment on sending in info and piccies is a good one.