Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Round 5 Midlands Masters Uttoxeter

Silverjay UK

Boss Hog
Feb 18, 2002
York, UK or Switzerland
to reply

I think nutz is referring to their last game on field 3 against vipers. For my sins, I was both the chrono marshall and the marshall whose judgement was called into question on whether or not a viper player had called himself out or not.

I don't recall either team having any problems over the chrono and I had stopped every marker over the average 300fps entering the field all day having first checked for agreement with the Ultimate. I can't recall any problems here unless another player checked their marker (over and above the 2 selected) after we had finished chrono'ing on and we missed that. Perhaps another marshall handled the chrono on that game, any comments guys? I'd pack it all in tomorrow if I'd done this.

Regarding the player that was claimed to have called himself out. I saw a self check then calling for a marshall check, the player was called neutral as I arrived over him and I performed a check - the shot had bounced. Part of that self check did involved the player raising their arm to get a better look at themselves but I was sure at the time that the player was not calling themselves out. I checked this with the ultimate and he agreed.

The comments that ensued did make me question the decision as I'm always aware of what such a decision can make, especially in sudden death rounds, but in the cold light of day, I am convinced that this call was good. It bothered me particularly as I had "advised" a marshall on not to let a player back in after calling themselves out earlier in the day.

Emotions were running high in that game and I can understand people being p****d off with a judgement call going against them but the two of us involved are quite experienced (were talking both 10 years + in the sport) and we were right on top of the action.

I hope to see you guys there again to prove that we are fair, we do make bad calls occasionally and are prepared to admit it when we do.

11 years and still learning...;)

Phil Warr

Sep 28, 2001
Worcester
www.sadworld.co.uk
2 sides to every story

The last few post's have raised an obvious problem which seems to occur over and over at nearly every event I have ever played in, Marshalled, or co-organised. This being that what one person see's isn't always seen in the same light by another. When a judgement call is made by a marshal, he takes into account everything he see's and acts on it acordingly, so what happens when a player or team don't agree. Well not always, but on some occasions the player starts to mouth off at that judge and in some cases continues after the game as well. During these ranting, usually at a rather high volume what do you as players think is going to be the outcome. The call has been made and so won't be reversed for good or for ill. The marshal begins to question why he does it (marshal's) and eventually say's f***it I don't want to do this anymore. Hey guy's, NO marshal's means NO tournie's...think about it! You will get a lot more through if you bring it up after a game in a calm manor, and the marshal's will respect you a lot more for doing so. IF it was a bad call the marshal will learn and hopefully it won't occur again. Nothing is gained from screaming at the marshal.
On another issue. In regards to the full Auto marker, this was not brought to our attention, and if it had have been it would not have been used. A similar issue came up early in the day where a marker was firing on both the pull and release, and the player was not allowed to us the marker again, so we do inforce this rule.

Jinxy

A Full On Paintballer :@)
Feb 11, 2002
Northampton - England
www.sadworld.co.uk
I must agree with Phil regarding marshalls. Put your self in their shoes and you might understand what is going on:

Marshal on the side lines, lying down or just in the middle of the field. He has to watch 2 to 3 players at the same time in different areas of his part of the field, and then all **** hits the fan. The marshal then has to make a split decision as to what has happened. Most of the time he gets it right and then some times he gets it wrong.

As you have see from above comments with Russ and I, we may disagree with each other on some matters but im sure Russ will agree it’s a hard job being a marshal.

So next time your about to spit you dummy out the pram, think and conceder what the marshal saw. You may only have your part of the picture and the marshal might have all the parts to the picture.

Russ,
Yep we are still mate and it might be a good thing on my part to have a long talk with you, regarding how I can improve my Ultimate Judge skills.

When you get time after Mayhem, give us a ring 07970 658140 or e-mail me on jinxy@sadworld.co.uk. :)

Rob,
The hairy monster from Inferno, you’re a windup merchant love you lots. :D

nutz

Banned
May 22, 2002
www.swatuk.com
yes russ

yes russ the hot gun was in the semi's on field four, the viper player went hot ,then his team mates were giving the chrono marshal the treatment, no keep it tipped up, dont point it down etc, still a hot gun , the marshal was obviously overwelmed, and my protest fell on deaf ears, with reguards to marshals being in the right place right time issue, as rob will know, i was shot out first and had the priveledge of watching the rest of the game from the dead zone, i know what i saw, and players on the sideline after the game had come to a finish, comments like , we were robbed , what a joke, even though we protested it to the ultimate it was obvious he favoured vipers, so hey ****ty mashaling was not a s.w.a.t. comment but some crap marshaling was the comment, i think even rob would agree, hence the problems he had mid game on neutral player moves and replacement of a advanding player, and marshals not knowing the rules?

blakey

been there, done it.....
Sep 24, 2001
Off the field, way off
Visit site
marshalling Duties

Guys,

Lets get one thing straight, there are NO tournaments, in any sport, any where in the world, where the officials do not get the occaisional call wrong, or unfortunately seem to bestow apparent favours, but lets be honest, how many calls do they get right, how much pressure are they under, and do you guys actually help by slanting them. I have no problem in listening to complaints, and then where appropriate acting on them, but if some of you guys prefer to just bitch to everyone else , then the original observation becomes tainted, by the time it reaches me. I cannot act decisivley on chinese whispers.
So ask yourselves this, so far this season we have had 54 teams play our events, many of them more than once, why?
If you don't like what you are paying for tell ME, because I can and often do, do something about it, and here's another point when faced with a dispute, both parties will in most cases have a differing viewpoint, and some of the rules are open to interpretation,and once I have made my decision someone will be pissed off.
Thats the game live with it, I would like to personally thank the majority of the teams, who in my opinion are the true paintballers out there, who abide by and follow the direction of the marshals, even when they get it wrong, (which by the way is not often). To the few persistant whingers, a piece of advice, play hard, play fair and respect the marshals.

MM is not the only series out there, go and bitch a some of the other events, and you will be treated just the same, and once word gets around that you are allways bitching, how will the marshalls see you then..................50/50 call, you say its spray?....just my thoughts, it's a game.
Treat them as people and remember without them NO PAINTBALL.

Anyway we are going ahead with our disciplinary committee, and would like 7 volunteers, from the teams hat play MM 2002. post your application here. please only one person from any team.
You will be ultimately esponsible for shaping the integritty of both the teams and marshall at the MM.

Blakey.

bruce

What do u mean i missed!!
Mar 1, 2002
Well said Blakey

i can offer my services if you want

cheers

Bruce

Freakshow