Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

second hand vs new

Michael_Peat

Aug 17, 2014
I'm new to paintball but no matter who I talk to they tell me to always buy second hand. Is there any reason for this ? Other than the price being cheaper of course. Does anyone buy new ?
There are good second hand deals to be had. You should be able to tell the difference between a marker that has been abused against one that hasn't. You could initially buy second hand to see whether the sport is something you want to invest some money in. Paintball is an expensive sport. From gear through to a days play with paint.

Kevin Winter

Dec 10, 2008
If you spend £500 on a marker, it's worth more like £350 the moment you open the box. It'll then need breaking in and fine tuning...

But, wait a year until a newer model comes out, and you can suddenly buy the marker that was £500 new for £200... and it's settled down and had any issues ironed out. No-brainer IMHO!

For example, I recently bought myself a Dye NT10. When it was new in 2010 (only 4 years ago) it was a top of the range marker, used by a fair number of top pro teams.,. it also cost the thick end of a grand. It's light, fast, reliable if maintained properly, and will stand up against any marker out there. As it's 4 years old and a bit tatty, I paid £140!

LordXilos

Aug 20, 2014
I am definitelly thinking second hand. Much better value for money. But it depends and items :)

Jon S

London Faction
Sep 22, 2003
London
www.jaysto.com
Things I would be more than happy to buy 2nd hand:
- Marker (if possible to try it out first hand all the better)
- Hopper
- Barrels / barrel kits (no moving parts so to speak)
- Gear bags
- Soft goods (paintball trousers, pads and all that can be pricey and don't change much aside from style year to year)

Things I would recommend getting new:
- Air system (people may disagree with me here, which is fair enough, but I'd rather have the peace of mind that the tank is well cared for, in date etc.)
- Mask (If anything you will want to try different ones out first to see what fits you best and it's nice having a fresh mask on your face - it's one thing you shouldn't skimp on. If you do find a mask you like and go 2nd hand route, definitely stump the cash for a new lens)