Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Speaking my brains...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Originally posted by Mark/Static
You will support a war instigated by a full of **** US government, only if a spineless organization such as the UN endorses it? I feel for Blair.
You are now taking my words out of context. What I meant is that at this point in time, the UN is a very indecisive institution, something that I think is a sad state of affairs. This is what allows madmen to play Run-a-Country.
However, "we" have decided that Saddam is the bad dude here (something I agree with), and he should be beaten to a bloody pulp for ignoring the UN. However, at the same time the "good guys" decide to do the same thing... That just doesn't sit right. Like it or not, but the UN is still the only thing remotely resembling the "peoples of the world", and any country ignoring them is doing things that leave a bad taste in my mouth, be they the US, Iraq, Israel, or the most dangerous place of all, Holland. It makes Bush look like he's taking the same path as Saddam took many years ago.
The US has been the victim of a direct attack. So now it wants to kick ass, which makes a lot of sense. But ignoring international law and order, even if it is slow in acting, is a bad thing.
Here's an example on a more personal level: I have a 5 year old daughter. Would I go after a guy who did something bad to her? Ya damn right! Should I get the police involved? Ya damn right! Would I "sort this guy out" if the police didn't seem to be in a hurry? Ya damn right! Would I be breaking the law by doing so? Ya damn right! Would I feel better having dealt with this guy? Ya damn right! Should the police come after me? Ya damn right! Would people frown on my behavior? Ya damn right!
Do you feel that the judge and the jury should be separate entities? At this point it seems the Bush administration is the prosecution, the judge, the jury, and the executioner.... And that's scary.
Like I said in my earlier post, I have no problem with Saddam being ousted, and if that involves blowing the crap out of a few Republican Guards, I have no trouble with that either. I just don't like the arrogance that the Bush administration is showing in the way they deal with the world. That is all. That is all that should be gotten from my post.

Oh, and for those who are interested in such things, in Gulf War part one the coalition did go after Saddam's ass. Several bunkers where he was suspected to be were targeted and attacked (and destroyed). Problem was that in order to take out these bunkers, they had to rely on the newly developed bunker killing ammunitions (can't remember the exact name at the mo), and these were in such short supply that it was impossible to make sorties against all such targets at the same time. Before more of these arrived on the scene, hostilities had ceased. Also, going to Baghdad and beating Saddam around the lughole was a real option, until Bush senior and his administration decided against it, because they feared a direct attack against Baghdad, which really had nothing to do with liberating Kuwait, would cause a schism in the coalition and would cause the Arab nations involved to step away from it all. Just a little trivia here: The French were actually closest to Baghdad. They had the task of covering the eastern flank of the left hook into Iraq. And they were the only country to have units that said "sod this", and that actually ignored orders and wanted to go Baghdad (The foriegn legion was ordered to cease hostilities within 40Km of "the Big B" when the Iraqi forces put their weapons down. They had every intent of going in, and kicking ass.)

Crazy

Feb 27, 2003
Australia
Visit site
Solonor

I took your comment as sarcasim and if it's not then I apologise.
As to finding personal reasons for the war I beleive we all try to rationalise this war to ourselves and each of us have beleifs as to the right decision.
My country has pledged itself to the conflict today even though we've had 2,000 troops there for a month.

Justin Owen

American BadAss
Jul 10, 2001
Kenner, LA USA
Visit site
apology accepted, maybe

Solonor, IF you were one of the people whose ridiculous lump-summing of Americans was part of what pissed me off, then apology accepted. If not, then no need to apologize.

In terms of an "obvious" reason for this war, I think/hope I've explained it fairly well.

Lotsa love,
~J~

Crazy

Feb 27, 2003
Australia
Visit site
Yo Justin

My apology if needed was for Solonor as I agree with yours and other views here as well.:)
Countries involved are now US, UK, Aust and spain.
Anyone else?

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Countdown...

A little prediction:

The whole thing will kick off during the night of thursday the 20th to friday the 21st of March. Why? The deadline is Thursday morning 5 AM Iraqi time. Which means that there will be less then an hour of darkness left, which is why they'll start the next night. This is because the US troops are likely to go up and over at night, exploiting the vast technological superiority of their equipment. I doubt there will be a prolonged air campaign. I think it'll be swift and brutal, with huge amounts of force applied to a few small points on the map.
If I'm right, it means I get a war for my 30th birthday...
:(

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
Fair point,

Ah but what if Saddam decides to launch a pre-emptive strike into Kuwait? I mean he's gotta know what is coming, from a military standpoint it has to be the most sensible option.

Does anyone think Saddam will resort to Chemical weapons???
I thought in the last Gulf war the "rumoured" deal was "you use chemical weapons we use nukes." Surely he's got nothing to lose this time round?

Bit of a worrying thought............

Status
Not open for further replies.