Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

The Big Game

Jun 12, 2002
Camb's
www.your-ass-is-grass.com
View from the North..

Originally posted by ChairChimp
I managed to cross the river and walk backwards towards a bunch of south players (keeping my yellow 'north' tag facing away from them of course) and once they had passed shot two of them and moved on my way. I ran around a lot at the back and got eliminated, heading to the exit point I found one of the guys I had shot playing on with a team mate next to him, two shots, one on his pack on on his leg clearly visible. Grrrrrr.

Ok I take offence to this,

Firstly I was the guy who chased you down and shot your ass out. sneeky bugger ;)

Secondly, I then went back to my team mate to check him as he said he had been shot in the back, I said he had, between his pots, we the chatted about where he was going to meet us next time out, at no point did he fire or talk to other players, he just waited for me to get back to check him, This was just before you walked past as we had almost walked the same route back that way, I got to him just before you, checked him and he walked, no shot on his leg but two on his pack.

Thirdly, Did you crawl accross the river or walk, we had three pairs of eyes watching that point for crawlers, respect if you did, slap if ya walked:p

peace, just wanted to clear that up APOCALYPSE DO NOT CHEAT!

robtattoo

Dunballin
Feb 13, 2003
Paintball's retirement community
Vendor's point of view

This was my first Big Game, running the Fat Bob's stall. I have to say that everyone I saw on Sunday was beaming from ear to ear, everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves (apart from the folks queing for the Lisa's palace of delectables!!) There's been a lot of people whinging & whining on here about how bad the day was, but I spent most of Sunday watching the same hundred or so folks just wandering aimlessly up & down the track. Surely if you've payed out £45 to play for the day, you'd be better off actually playing ball & not mooching around, bitching about what a bad day you're having?

Many folks came up & told me the same story, that the problem was that the staging area was constantly full of people & the game area was empty. Why was this??? The trade stand area was also packed out all day long, would the day not have been better all round if anyone had actually been trying to enjoy themselves as oppose dto spending the bulk af the day bitching?
The game is what you make it. If there's noone in the game area, then it is going to be a slow day, next year try actually playing for more than 15 minutes before you cast your judgment.

Quite a few of the people who have posted in this thread so far did play all day & their assessment of the day I respect as valid, but on the day its self, most of the folks coming up to me & complaining ( do I look like a counseller??!!) hadn't even been intoa the game area for more than half an hour or so. I've been playing ball for a good few years now & whether the game area is good or bad, big or small, sparce or well covered, I've enjoyed the game for what it is. Please do not to complain to the organisers about things beyond their control, such as the camping facilities, this was the nearest site available & I'm sure that if it had been possible, Tim et al would have done something better, as it was this was the only possibility other than telling people not to come on Saturday (if you think you had it bad, try sleeping on a 8x4 plywood board in the stall overnight like some of us had to, cos we couldn't get a tent up anywhere !!)

I'm sorry to be having a go at folks who payed out good money & maybe didn't get what they expected, but it really pisses me off to hear this. If you'd put your minds to it & maybe concentrated a little effort into actually playing, you'd have had a better day. This isn't aimed at anyone specific, just an opinion to everyone in general.

ps. Tim, if you're reading this could you send me my Chrono back, forgot to pick it up from you on Sunday night !!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

James@Kartelprime

JCS Sport
Nov 22, 2003
Elsham - N Lincs
Visit site
Rob cheers for the support, ill get tim to send the chrono back to you asap.

And in repsonse to some of your opinions about the big game: -

Camping - Was the only way Warped could provide camping, they where going to level some of the trees and have camping on site but this would have taken more came area away so we had to do the best they could which was to sort out camping at Tackaroo and put on 4 Buses at their expense to get you to and from the campsite.

Skirmish Lines - What do people expect, when you have two teams playing against each other its is going to produce skirmish lines, Warped planned the whole game area around preventing this - if you note there where various crossing points of the rivers including the ability to cross at any point if you crawled, with staggered flags up and down the river to mean you have to push hard to achieve objectives with cover on both sides of the river defendable for which ever team was using it. Everyone cant creep behind the enemy and shoot em all in the back which is what i think alot of people where expecting.

Players - As Rob has just said and i can fully agree with, i was on field all day Sunday keeping track of the scores and scoring period times, as such i had both teams radio channels so could hear everything that was going on. the main reason for the southern dominance in the morning was due to northern players mincing around and not getting on the field and again in the afternoon it was reversed. How can warped control this if you the player’s dont want to get out there and play (not aimed at anyone in particular)

Team Missions - We were never going to give out team missions, what do you want us to do play the game for you as well, two generals where appointed to control each army and dish out orders etc. The generals where given objectives all day and i heard them over the radios asking for certain squads to achieve objectives but not every squad can have its own missions can they. Also you all knew what you had to do to win points, convey point where the easiest to achieve but very little was done to get barrels to the convoys every 30mins without fail and considering each team held there own fuel depo's all day i dont know why.

Marquee - Granted it was muddy in there and i saw some players setting up on the mud - only thing ill say is i saw alot of kit bags on tables instead of under the tables. If every 2, 3 or even 5th person kept the kitbag on the table it is gone use alot of space. Once youve got ure kit out i dont know why people feel compelled to keep there kit bag on the table.

I agree some points people have raised are very valid points which warped will no doubt take on board and take into consideration next year.

I would like to say though the success of big game is just as much about the players participation as it is the organisers, we can only do sooo much, i dont see why people feel compelled to run hot guns, wipe paint it ruins the feel and play of the game.

Just my 2pennies worth these are not official response to anything quoted on the board but from someone who work hard up to the event to get it ready and spent the day working my arse of to give you lot a good day, running around all day sunday keeping scores, watching the time periods, moving the convoys when needed, pushing one van at one point cus it was stuck with the help of mad dog i think (cheers mate) with what i thought was a badly sprained swollen ankle, turns out ive fractured my ankle.

ChairChimp

It's a chimp and a chair!
Nov 5, 2002
Sheffield
Hey up H-Apoc,

Good of you to respond.

I apologise if I gave the wrong impression I should have posted :

Grrrrr :)

After all it's all in fun.

Obviously I have no idea what went on before I wandered back past, and for that I apologise for giving the impression that anyone was in some way cheating, I was using it as an example of something it was obviously not ie playing on.

I must have just walked past as you guys were deciding he was out, timing is everything they say! :)

It was you that shot me then? Sneaky swine yourself. Yup I crawled across ok, it was right in front of the marshalls so I made sure nobody could pull me for a dodgy crawl. I spent a good 5 minutes on the south side facing to the river just edging slowly back, didn't count on you being about though clearly...ah well :)

Good game from all on the south side though, I'd thought we'd lost till the points came in.

Chimp

WG Spike

Oct 22, 2003
East Sussex
Visit site
To the Warped man above...I think you'll find that 90% of people who have posted have said along the lines of "respect to Warped for getting something together given the circumstances"..However as the paying customers here we are entitled to have a moan about what we thought wrong with the day.Warped need to work with those opinions and change what needs changing for future years...They've always done so in the past,so I see no reason why they can't this time.

There were some big problems with the weekend...some of them had nothing to do with the change of venue...our radios kept going down,so General Brian couldn't co-ordinate the attacks/mission objectives.He also had problems getting airstrikes etc where he wanted and when...Speaking to Hatts during the afternoon,he was also having the same problems.

Unfortunately I turned my ankle falling down one of the little streams,just after midday(ish),which severly limited my play in the afternoon.In the play I did manage,I too was frustrated by the amount of players hanging back and longballing,unfortunately that has been and probably always will be,a feature of big games.Those of us that did push forward into the Firebase(from both teams) had some serious fun in amongst the huts/bridges.
Myself and a couple of the Geese,along with Tone and some Fennys thouroughly enjoyed opening up on the mass Northern charge at the lower bridge...and much Kudos to the North players who ran into that wall of paint.

On the whole I did not have a particularly good weekend..opinions posted above for why...but most of the team had a laugh,the guys who came down from Smartparts and Warren Wood had a great time at he first big game...so that's a positive outcome for the weekend.

As I said before,if Warped can take on board the genuine complaints,rather than just bitchin,and move on from there,they get my respect.

James@Kartelprime

JCS Sport
Nov 22, 2003
Elsham - N Lincs
Visit site
Please dont read my post as bitchin back, it wasnt intended that way i was trying to address some of the issues that people have rasied and point out several things i noted during the day, warped always have and always will listen to everything you lot have to say and improve on it next year.

I know hot guns was an issue this year, i had a fair few hot shots pelt me and this is something that i will bring up with the powers above and aim to ensure it doesnt happen next year.

although someone in another posted commented that Warped make a fortune out of these events at the expense of you the players, but i can say hand on my heart they dont, the amount or resoruces, man hours and overheads incurred in putting on the big game are huge especially this year with the additional costs incurred of moving the venue. They do the Big game every year cus they love paintballing and enjoy giving you the Big game.

I appreciate you all have you rights to have a moan and comment on the Big game the things you didnt like, the things you would like to see improved next year, we wouldnt have it any other way.

I know warped appreciate fully the support the Wild Geese have given Warped over the varies Big Games and glad you will be coming back.

sgt_RudeDog

Mar 18, 2004
Stafford, UK
Visit site
Wow - such huge amounts of bad critisms. I am truly shocked at this. As one of the guys who busted their ass to bring this game off (big ups to my fellow WarPigs who worked 13 hour days for NO pay), this has irked me somewhat.

Fact: 6 days before you guys turned up the site was virtually a bare forest. Every single hut, barricade, sniper base, camo nets, tents etc was set up in those 5 days, as well as all the safety netting, equipment and convoys.

Yes, the campsite was a bit ****e (our fireworks got banned b4 they really got started :( ), and we shud really have been in a private area.

And yes, it woz a bit muddy, but typical english weather for April. You were turning up to a woodland scenario game - wot u doing wearing tourney gear anyway?? Apologises for the mud in marquee, but we were let down by JCB at last minute and only had a tractor/scrapper to clear that end of the tent.

Didn't like the paint - you did have opportunity to BYO - we brought Draxus Midnight which ran sweet as all day.

I for one, and I know my Mercenaries would agree, that the only way to make the scenario work woz to get stuck in. The marquee woz full all day ?? why weren't these guys on the field - i lost count the times the mercs crawled the river and had no backup as everyone woz longballing. There was tons of cover (I know - i put it there), and plenty on natural cover - sorry for not putting up wooden fences and inflatables - did the guys in Vietnam have barricades ??? Use the terrian properly if you are playing rec ball.

Big Ups to Warped for the big game - way better than Star Wars last year (a huge disappointment !!), shame about all these moans.

And Big Ups to Fat Bobs, who saved me bacon when I had gone thru 4 spare fill nipples for some reason.

Rage

Mar 15, 2005
Bridport, Uk
Visit site
hmm, i think it would be fair to say, the worst thing of the day was .......... SOME of the southerners.
we could of won. really. but you were all mincing about getting food?! instead of waiting the 30 mins for a cuppa, or however long, play the bloody game you paid for!!:D
oh yeah, and teh northerners, for not mincing about enough! well, not long enough anyway ;)

All seriousness though, there were a number of problems on the day. but food shouldnt of been a problem. all sunday all i had was a bacon sarnie (cheers...um..surre/suffolk lads. the ones who shot DB, lol) an a Burger King meal at about half 6, on me way home. thats it all day. plus loads of water. ok, the mud in the stageing was a problem, but only for the hour i stayed in there (5-10 min slots) ok, people who were fiddling with their markers, fair enough. but why waste time in the trade stands? you had a lot of time before (maybe after?) to bugger about.