The Home Of European Paintball

The Rumour Mill

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
GI Milsim buy Procaps ...
Richmond goes back to his spiritual home .... I'll be writing a sorta press release come news item later today regarding this buy out ...... things look as though they are getting better in paintball ... woo hoo!!!

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
just saw this, what do you guys think of this, if it happens?
I think that you could train some people to become semi decent, but not everyone. Some people are not cut out to be good at paintball. They better be training, cause if they just jump in at the deep end in the PSP pro ranks, they will come unstuck VERY quickly.

Will be very interesting though!

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
just saw this, what do you guys think of this, if it happens?
Anybody can call themselves 'pro' and indeed play as pro but the point is, can they compete as pros in terms of winning games?
If a team plays a pro event and doesn't even win a game, there's a thousand and one teams who could do that and so the question should really be rephrased, 'could a team compete as pros with the players being randomly selected from Joe Public and trained' ?

The answer is 'No' ... not even close, you have to have a base working material that is paintball orientated.
Any schmuck off the street can be trained to pull a trigger but a Joe Public team competing, in terms of winning games against pro teams?
A big fate nope, no matter how much money has been thrown at them ...... and I'll go so far to say, anyone who tries to suggest otherwise is a fool and doesn't understand what makes paintball tick ...

I will however qualify what I have said by adding, you could select a body of players from the novice and amateur ranks and then train them up to compete with pros, that is possible and I know it's possible because I frikkin did it [the original Nexus] ...... and I'm saying this not to attract any credit or adulation, I said it because an example of it being done is the best way of making a point ... people can say one thing or another but the reality is, actions always speak louder than words ..... the original and best Nexus competed with the pros in their first year together.
The players, all of them, were magnificent, and any credit flying around should always go to them, they listened, they learned and they kicked Yank ass ..... I couldn't have asked for more.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
NPPL and PSP get divorced before they walk up the aisle ...

Oh, just one other little tit-bit of information; the talks between and the NPPL and the PSP have stumbled I'm afraid and all efforts for the union have now been put on the back-burner, at the back of the house, in the outback.
I hate to say it but I did predict this would happen and it happened for the exact reason I thought it would.
Basically, the deal is down to two main people, Dave Youngblood [Dye & PSP] and Bart Yachimec [NPPL].
Both are self-made men, both extremely successful in business and so it don't take much imagination to realise these two guys are gonna have to hit the ground running in terms of getting on with each other once the talks begin.
And this is because if you have one person heading up negotiations for one body and the other body being similarly represented, any differences that come up in negotiations will be distilled on both sides of the table along the character lines of each individual.... you have two alpha males [business type] really needing to put aside their characters and get on with the business in hand.
Now, that's the theory ... the real story unfolds along more predictable lines of men being men.
Bottom line is this ....... this deal needs to be done, no argument there ... but both leagues have dominant males ostensibly heading them up.
And when this happens, it's not really about what one side can offer the other, it's sometimes about how the dominant males get along ..... I knew what the fault lines would be in the attempted deal but I just hoped they'd find some way of patching it up but the deal stumbled and there was no Plan B to default to ... the final score was Characters 2 - Union 0
I'll keep you informed ........