Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Too many teams?

head_-_shot

UK Under 19's & London Tigers.
Oct 25, 2008
London
www.facebook.com
does the lack of commitement and ambition stem from the mindset that paintball is something to be taken lightly? its is seen mostly as a part-time thing , a weekend thing, we never expect to become proffesional and therfore feel there isnt much point trying and just stick to what we know best , a low division with the same old players because the subconsicious doubt of progression brings low div teams to a casual status even within the tourny scene
also the understated prize winnings and overall atmosphere of low division paintball means players might not feel anything is at stake? that nothing is worth being passionate about and trying to achieve this?

Rat

eating brick!
Sep 18, 2005
worcester UK
Or perhaps (carrying on from headshot's post) its a mix of both?

Some tournament teams play all, give all etc and recieve nothing in return/or very little.

others play for fun as a weekend thing to do (woodland players included)

It doesnt seem like there is a larger goal to strive for when playing.

for me personally I'm striving to see how far I can go and to prove a point about disabled people being equel.

Just an observation.

Raffles

Going....going....not quite dead yet...
Jun 21, 2004
oldham - lancs
The main trouble with clinics is that they are bloody expensive to attend. I'm not saying the organisers make any money out of them - they are just expensive to run (flights, hotels etc. need to be provided).

I seriously think that for UK ball to go any further - we NEED coaches that know how to do the job. So, it's catch 22 time - do we train our own coaches to a good level - or do we 'employ' foreign coaches? I'm all for in-house training - but, I don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

Until then, let's hope the visionaries like Jonathon A, Rich Harris etc. can continue to push UK ball in to the public domain.

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
Take heart, brothers - an attempt to bring structure and organisation to our beloved sport is coming very soon.

:)

I really have no idea why people are talking like top end UK paintball is doomed..
We have teams in all divisions that are challenging for top spots in the millennium, that have earnt the best results for any UK teams in recent history. Lets look at the last event Paris as an example..
Disruption won the 2nd division, Tigers took 4th.
London Nexus took 4th place Pro, beating currently ranked #1 and #2 CPL teams SK Moscow and Copenhagen ducks; Only to get knocked out to the eventual winners, who beat everyone convincingly including Dynasty.

Nexus are currently joint 3rd in CPL, along with Dynasty and Bullets.
For other reasons, bar 2 prelim games in Malaga, all results this season have been achieved with an all British team.

Yes we may not have 10 Pro teams and 10 potential pro teams but the sport has changed vastly every year over the past 6 years. The UK market and player base is TINY in comparrison to countries such as France or Germany, and yet still, we are producing players good enough to win events against the best.. It is evoloution, survival of the fittest. Many fall by the way side but those with the attitude and determination CAN make it.
Those top level players (not just on Nexus) are doing everything they can to help train up the next generation giving us the best chance keeping it that way. Look at Jason Wheeler for example, who has gone from a talented guy to a world class snake player just over a year.

Is that not all something for all British people to be proud of and support rather than already condeming as a failure?

Pete, I shouldn't feel like i should have to justify Nexus and our results on here but from your comments on the previous page i feel like i have to. I want British paintballers to be proud of our teams as other nationals are of their own teams, and use that to inspire them to believe that they can also make it if they want it badly enough.
Did you ever watch the clip from Paris 2008 last year that i sent you? I feel like if you had seen us or the CPL teams play more recently your view on our team might be different.

essx

Sep 10, 2006
Essex
Think that really is the point as Tommy has made! The UK has such a small paintball following compared to the USA it really shouldnt be compared in the same way, how often do you hear about the masses of lower level ball in the states????!!!! Very little!

Of course its the pro level that gets the attention, but its relative to the sheer quantity of players across the country surely?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I really have no idea why people are talking like top end UK paintball is doomed..
We have teams in all divisions that are challenging for top spots in the millennium, that have earnt the best results for any UK teams in recent history. Lets look at the last event Paris as an example..
London Nexus took 4th place Pro, beating currently ranked #1 and #2 CPL teams SK Moscow and Copenhagen ducks; Only to get knocked out to the eventual winners, who beat everyone convincingly including Dynasty.

For other reasons, bar 2 prelim games in Malaga, all results this season have been achieved with an all British team.

Yes we may not have 10 Pro teams and 10 potential pro teams but the sport has changed vastly every year over the past 6 years. The UK market and player base is TINY in comparrison to countries such as France or Germany, and yet still, we are producing players good enough to win events against the best.. It is evoloution, survival of the fittest. Many fall by the way side but those with the attitude and determination CAN make it.
Those top level players (not just on Nexus) are doing everything they can to help train up the next generation giving us the best chance keeping it that way. Look at Jason Wheeler for example, who has gone from a talented guy to a world class snake player just over a year.

Is that not all something for all British people to be proud of and support rather than already condeming as a failure?

Pete, I shouldn't feel like i should have to justify Nexus and our results on here but from your comments on the previous page i feel like i have to. I want British paintballers to be proud of our teams as other nationals are of their own teams, and use that to inspire them to believe that they can also make it if they want it badly enough.
Did you ever watch the clip from Paris 2008 last year that i sent you? I feel like if you had seen us or the CPL teams play more recently your view on our team might be different.
Tommy, I could, if I chose to, explain exactly, and back up exactly what I mean but I'm not going to ...... and I hope you understand and maybe appreciate why.

You know me well enough to know I do not state things on here without having the armoury and facts to fully back up anything I say.

Take a time out mate, chill out, and re read what I said, then cross reference that with who you are playing against on a regular basis and how that impacts upon the ability to assess skill levels.

If you still feel the need to come back on afterwards and defend your cause, then I will answer and engage you in debate.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Think that really is the point as Tommy has made! The UK has such a small paintball following compared to the USA it really shouldnt be compared in the same way, how often do you hear about the masses of lower level ball in the states????!!!! Very little!

Of course its the pro level that gets the attention, but its relative to the sheer quantity of players across the country surely?
essx, I didn't bother answering Tommy coz he's a mate and I want him to stay that way and not pis$ him off any further than I have but I won't answer your post because it makes no sense.
If you wish to make a point mate, then make sure you have one.

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
The main trouble with clinics is that they are bloody expensive to attend. I'm not saying the organisers make any money out of them - they are just expensive to run (flights, hotels etc. need to be provided).
I take issue with that statement
We have had many clinics in the UK set at reasonable prices run by experienced world class players past and present.
The problem is most players would rather spend £100 playing a one day tournament at which they will shoot over half a box of paint off in the chrono area, than spent £50 -£100 at a 2 day training clinic and only shoot 1 box of paint.
Another problem is that players are locked in their own little worlds - you talk to most players, mention the name Nexus - Disruption - Shock - Notorious and mostly you will get a blank expression, mention Russian Legion, Stockholm Joy, Dynasty you start to see a little sparkle.

At the moment there is not enough promotion and exposure of the better teams in this country, new teams and players current only see the next level up and are happy to just make it there. Yes there are changes afoot and the sooner the better.

JF21

May 4, 2007

*cough* tigers took 3rd place tommy *cough*

maybe if teams are interested in getting better they should contact these pro teams/ good coaches/players and see if they will run a clinic. No doubt you will have to cross thier palms with silver but split between 10 players (or what ever) it should be affordable