Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

TV- the smaller tornments

BubbleGumBob

Free Style Baby!
Mar 10, 2007
Reading/Newbury
the resson the walk way is needed is becusemy brro is doing the recording and i can garenty that he willnot go on fieldget shot, and riskbraking his camra

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
Really don't think those are reason enough for a tournament organiser to be going to the time, expense and bother of building a gantry for one camera man who isn't prepared to go on field.

If it is then I'll be demanding lighting behind each bunker so the players aren't underexposed and the background overexposed.

Not being negative here, just stating the facts as I see them, have you actually costed what a scaffold gantry would cost Syd to add to the Reading set-up? And is that for one or more fields? If you haven't I suggest you ring a local scaffold company on Monday and give them the approximate dimensions of the structure you are looking for and get a quote.

Would not a more happy medium be some body amour, cricket and elbow pads for your bro and a cover and filter for the camera? One of my team mates did some filming at an NSPL round for his college project and made a very effective cover for a broadcast quality video camera out of the leg of a pair of waterproof overtrousers for instance.

After all Ray & I take thousands of pounds worth of camera and lens on field, we protect them so that when we do get hit its just a clean-up job.

Dave284

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2008
Uhm, Is it me, or is this idea just a wee bit stupid.
think about the possible audience, it consists of a) loving parents b) that one or two random people that run across the thing by accident.

and also, the ammount of money that would have to be put in to set it up as you suggested with a walkway, scaffolding, hosting, camera's + crews.
i cannot see it happening on a local level.

OddJob

Photographer
Oct 28, 2004
North Essex
I can see that you are starting to think that your idea is a winner and that everyone else should do their thing to make your idea work because, in your head, there are no down sides. This includes someone else paying for scaffolding because you are, as you say 'supplying the camera and personnel'. Careful of this attitude, not because it's entirely negative as we need pioneers in life. However when it is based on other people supplying money/equipment at their expense over your own, it's unlikely to win many supporters when they have no demonstrated return for their cash.

Also, you need to research your audience as your idea is based on concepts that 'I'm sure people will watch'. You say yourself that you'd dip in and out only, but others would watch. What makes them so different to you? If you want to make it work, go for it. Get out there, wrap up your camera, practice, practice some more, see what looks good and then edit it all together to make something interesting and grabbing which you can use to sell, either literally or as an idea, to the tournament organisers and the genera paintball crowd.

I know how frustrating it is having and idea that you think cannot fail, that everyone one will want, that everyone should want. Reality is a little different when it comes to people parting money. Give it a go and see what happens and see what you can make. It might be the live stream is a long term rather than something that is initially achievable. What will be required is a lot of your time, both on field and editing (which I assume you've had some decent experience in otherwise you'll be laughed off YouTube by the armchair critics) and probably some cash.

One thing that might be useful in defining audience: I made a video of the pictures I took at the Southern Masters on the 27th and posted it up here. How many views would you expect this to have? This will be your audience that you are trying to sell to. It's a large tournament with a decent following? What might be more pertinant is how many views you'd like to/expect to get from one of your films/web casts. Guess and then I'll tell you the actual number.

Niall W

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2007
Cambridgeshire / Swansea
if you cannot do live streaming and tv then hows about recording the entire thing, create a website then link to youtube. you can make the site with some kinda paypal donation link and possibly burn tournaments to DVD allowing people to buy the tournaments to watch on their tv?

i havent read all the posts so this mighta been suggested but this is technically what ONE4ONE.tv do but on a local tournament level.
Thats a very good idea .

As for streaming live. No. Like has been said before, the audence will actually be at the event not at a computer watching it.

Walkway .. you have to think that'll cost at least a few hundred and why would Syd / event owner pay for that? and then you have to actually set it up! Just get on the field, wrap the cam in a towel (or talk to Rayko and what he uses for his camera's) and start recording.

I know i'd watch it on youtube and if it was good then buy a dvd. possibly put a trailer esque type thing of it on youtube and then sell the dvd's for £5 - 10 a piece and that should cover your costs.

I think the youtube / dvd idea is a good one, it may not work but worth a go with one event. May i suggest possibly masters? as it seems to be the biggest domestic league rather than koth.

my 2p .. feel free to shoot to bits :p

BreakoutPb

Aug 1, 2008
I think this is a really good idea, I would watch online as a stream or youtube then maybe buy as a DVD... With youtube you can get views over and over again however if it was live you would only ever get views that happen at the time (obviously)... I am at most koth/NSPL so I would be willing to help...

musefrog

looooves the snake!! :D
I've got something to contribute here, by way of a comparison. Late last year, I made a DVD of a tourney at the Northern Quarter. I had it videoed from two camera angles (recorded 30 games) and edited it together, did a nice surface-printed DVD with high quality menus (using Adobe Encore), a music video of game highlights, and a proper DVD jacket. I sold it for £8 to guys who'd been playing, and managed to sell something like six or seven copies...

The thing is though, I actually work as a videographer, usually for £20 per hour. I probably put between twenty and thirty hours into the project, all told. Obviously, I didn't even BEGIN to cover the cost of my time, let alone make any profit.

Bear those figures in mind. If you want to involve professionals, you better hope you can convince them to do it as a massive favour, cos they won't be getting paid properly...