Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

USA to UK import tax

platoongod

Platinum Member
Apr 24, 2008
North Wales, Bangor
Ok so my team has been offered a subsidised sponsorship by Guerilla Air, so we are of course extremely great full at the opportunity to get discounted equipment......However......with the total cost for 3 tanks amounting to say £300, im just wondering if we would be hit by import tax? I ask this as our team shirts had been shipped from the states and we had been stung with £170 import tax.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I ask for obvious reason, if we end up paying more for the tanks due to import tax than what we would pay stores here in the uk, the idea of the sponsorship doesn't seem as fruitful .

Many thanks.

G

Gassy

paintball equipment has an import duty rate of 2.7% and VAT rate of 20% approx.
eg paintball gear at £300 will probally cost you another £90ish in duty and vat,plus handling charges.

This may be useful;
http://www.dutycalculator.com/
Mrs G.

Last edited:

shoaibaktar

Jun 14, 2011
Cant speak for bulk purchases .But in the past Ive purcased DM10,i4,s clothing tanks ,in all about 10-11 purchases and never paid import tax or vat .All extra ever paid is parcelforce delivery.Im talking head to toe purchases from Ansgear and none of these charges ever .The only Glitch was last Xmas the rotor got held up in customs .

Reactions: platoongod

renie

Mar 2, 2008
i normally allow 25% on import stuff as sometimes u dont hit with fees but i would say 90% of the time i have

automag

Jan 14, 2008
Also you will have to pay the royal mail their collection fee this can be £8 or £16 on top of the vat. I only got hit with the £16 charge once and that was for express delivery. The royal mail guy said the charges go up if its express delivery (n)

G

Gassy

I have imported a couple of 2nd hand markers from the states and everytime I have had to pay the duty because I had the seller mark the price correctly to cover myself it it was lost in transit.
Also if the paper work is not filled in perfectly your new buy may get stopped in customs and then you have to wait for them to write to you and then you have to prove what it is worth.When it turns out you have had it marked at $100 to reduce the tax and it is actually worth $700 you can end up with a criminal record for tax evasion.

automag

Jan 14, 2008
I have to import motorcycle parts as you cant get some of the stuff in the UK (joys of Harleys). It makes you cry when import and postage cost more that the items

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
The other issue with the importation of air tanks is making sure they are legal. Most stateside bottles (for use in usa) are only tested to DOT standards - no good for Europe or UK. Air couriers will also insist on them being shipped minus valves, or with the valves removed to prevent any risk of explosion.

Reactions: platoongod